• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Worthwhile to be a crafter?

cynnir

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have gotten the impression on my last few visits back to Ultima that crafting is possibly useless now with the power of items you can get from drops. It seems that nothing that even the most legendary of crafters can create is capable of competing with the artifacts that are available nowadays. So is there any value to spending time crafting? I want to gather materials, go back to my house full of wonderous items, use spreadsheets to come up with cool suits and weapons, and have them be worth something. Is that still possible, or should I not waste my time?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have gotten the impression on my last few visits back to Ultima that crafting is possibly useless now with the power of items you can get from drops. It seems that nothing that even the most legendary of crafters can create is capable of competing with the artifacts that are available nowadays. So is there any value to spending time crafting? I want to gather materials, go back to my house full of wonderous items, use spreadsheets to come up with cool suits and weapons, and have them be worth something. Is that still possible, or should I not waste my time?
There is money to be made crafting 100 % weapons imbuing said weapons crafting 190 luck pieces and suits

Xoos

Journeyman
Yes to Anon's post. Very specific weapon mods are in demand for PVM and are imbued. Well crafted 6-piece max luck suits with max resists and some stats still sell. You can always play the bokuto lottery for 70/70 PVP bokutos if you have the patience for it. I think my general perspective as someone who has really only played crafting for the past year on Atlantic is that in order for it to be worthwhile as a profession (and not just for supporting your other toons) you need to do it on an industrial scale. At the moment I work somewhere between 500-1000 BODs per week across two accounts. Requires tons of organization and tons of time bribing them up. I'm able to keep my vendor The Factory stocked with 100's of runics for each type that's in demand, able to reforge 1000 bokutos every week (and still haven't gotten any more 70 lightning / 70 poison in the past few months), able to constantly burn excess hammers and sewing kits for 150 luck pieces to make suits etc. I'm buying raw materials by the 60,000s and the imbuing ingredients in bulk at the best prices I can find when they come available. Assuming you have the money to get started on such a scale and the patience to process the bods on a daily basis, you can make a lot. I do Carpentry, Tinkering, Scribing, Smithing, Tailoring, and Fletching and I think The Factory generates about 1p or so every month in profits.

It's kind of just become part of my morning routine to BOD/Bribe and my weekend morning routine to redeem bods and burn runics haha. There's always value having a crafter to support your other toons but to play a crafter as a self-sustaining successful profession in Ultima Online requires serious scale to make it worthwhile.

Xoos

Journeyman
I've only got 250 in stock but they're all on the vendor... 125 80-charge copper runic hammers at 2,500,000 each. If you want to buy them all I'll sell them for 2,000,000 each or 250 mil for the lot.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Long ago people would pay you to repair stuff for them. If you were serious smith then you would be smelting a lot of ore and people would find you at a forge and give you items to repair then pay you for the repairs and sometimes order a specific item. You would earn a reputation for taking care of their items. Simpler times

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I've only got 250 in stock but they're all on the vendor... 125 80-charge copper runic hammers at 2,500,000 each. If you want to buy them all I'll sell them for 2,000,000 each or 250 mil for the lot.
Thank you so much for the trade.

Side note. Xoos has the highest level of integrity.

I paid him 400m by mistake and he gave me back 200m because that was what we agree on. Awesome that some people are still truly trustworthy these days

Samhain

Adventurer
Like everyone else has already mentioned, if you do the research and put in the time, crafting can be profitable. It sounds ultimately like that is your main concern of creating a crafter. However, it also depends on your game style and what you enjoy doing. Personally, my main characters are crafters, always have been. But not for profit, mainly for sustainability and being 100% self-sufficient. I have 2 crafters and I am only missing 2 recipes in the whole game for all crafts (my UO bucket list!). I like to be able to craft any and all items if someone needs something. I love crafting my own furniture and if I need something to enhance my house or change my decorations...I can make it. I prefer the old school style decor over the new deeded stuff, just my preference. Also, BoD's are fun....I enjoy the gathering and sorting of them more than filling them (which I don't do often, I just keep accumulating them lol). So I guess it comes down to personal preference...what do you enjoy. Economically speaking, what utility do you get out of crafting? will the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility destroy your crafting career the more you do it? I guess the fact that you are asking whether making a crafter is 'worth the time' implies to me your intention of creating the character is not out of enjoyment, thus, unless you consider the character nothing more than a factory worker and are Ok with that monotonous style of play, then I say go for it. There is certainly plenty of gold to be made with a crafter.

Xoos

Journeyman
I guess the fact that you are asking whether making a crafter is 'worth the time' implies to me your intention of creating the character is not out of enjoyment, thus, unless you consider the character nothing more than a factory worker and are Ok with that monotonous style of play, then I say go for it. There is certainly plenty of gold to be made with a crafter.
I smiled when you mentioned that. It's true and maybe says something about me. I liked crafting when I got back into the game and had 1-2 crafters I played a lot. I found I couldn't actually make enough things with enough effeciency to justify selling them on a vendor so I ended up just using my crafters to support other PVM characters on my two accounts. That was fun until I got maxed and bored with PVM. I enjoyed crafting, the bods, the rewards, the runic reforging, the rng, the suit building, the weapon imbuing.... but I realized that unless I could do at a much much bigger scale, it wouldn't make sense because my own toons didn't need anything else and it took too much time to make me want to bother with it for vendoring. Now I've got 13 toons pulling 3 bods a day at carefully determined skill levels for every skill with good rewards filling up a BOD library with about 500 every week. It's a real factory. Weekday mornings are for collecting orders and bribing them up. Weekend mornings are for filling them and redeeming the rewards. When I want to craft I have hundreds of runic ready to burn through to get perfect pieces/suits, otherwise the vendors are always moving the excess. And I'm serious too, if you scale this up to a point where you are satisfied with the profits from the amount of time invested you might be looking at plats per month. I'd say if you had more time than me and maybe a third account, you could complete closer to 1000 bods per week and could probably make over a plat in profits every week just selling bod rewards or using them to craft things to sell.

It's a playstyle... kind of like an industrial simulator, hahaha. How can I create the maximum amount of goods for the least amount of time spent doing the monotous stuff that can sell daily for the best profit margins. I'm not in industry in real life but maybe I should've been. It's funny to think that's what I'm doing when gaming. But I guess that's the beauty of Ultima, right? The game is what you make it.

Samhain

Adventurer
I smiled when you mentioned that. It's true and maybe says something about me. I liked crafting when I got back into the game and had 1-2 crafters I played a lot. I found I couldn't actually make enough things with enough effeciency to justify selling them on a vendor so I ended up just using my crafters to support other PVM characters on my two accounts. That was fun until I got maxed and bored with PVM. I enjoyed crafting, the bods, the rewards, the runic reforging, the rng, the suit building, the weapon imbuing.... but I realized that unless I could do at a much much bigger scale, it wouldn't make sense because my own toons didn't need anything else and it took too much time to make me want to bother with it for vendoring. Now I've got 13 toons pulling 3 bods a day at carefully determined skill levels for every skill with good rewards filling up a BOD library with about 500 every week. It's a real factory. Weekday mornings are for collecting orders and bribing them up. Weekend mornings are for filling them and redeeming the rewards. When I want to craft I have hundreds of runic ready to burn through to get perfect pieces/suits, otherwise the vendors are always moving the excess. And I'm serious too, if you scale this up to a point where you are satisfied with the profits from the amount of time invested you might be looking at plats per month. I'd say if you had more time than me and maybe a third account, you could complete closer to 1000 bods per week and could probably make over a plat in profits every week just selling bod rewards or using them to craft things to sell.

It's a playstyle... kind of like an industrial simulator, hahaha. How can I create the maximum amount of goods for the least amount of time spent doing the monotous stuff that can sell daily for the best profit margins. I'm not in industry in real life but maybe I should've been. It's funny to think that's what I'm doing when gaming. But I guess that's the beauty of Ultima, right? The game is what you make it.
You are absolutely right! The beauty of UO is you can do or be anything you want. Which Is why I asked why they (Cynnir) really want to create a crafter. If you want a crafter solely for profit, go for it! If you want it for fun? Indeed! That is the point of playing UO afterall....fun. (well, in most cases anyway! We all know why 'others' play UO). I am unable to run a factory like you though. First off, I run only one account, and often times with the game in a state of stasis for quite awhile now...I wonder if that account is even justifiable to maintain. Secondly, I do not use ANY programs to automate or assist my gameplaying. I am probably one of the very few in UO anymore that play the old CTS method (Carpel Tunnel Syndrome Method) Clickity click click! My favorite thing about crafting when I came back was the new option on the tool to "make max"!!. Other than that, I click every crafted item, target them for BoD's manually, gather and drag all of my own resources....I say this because (and by now it is certainly no secret!) many people speak openly in game about using scripts and programs. To me, what's the point of playing a game that is truly playing YOU. I would love to be able to be more productive in the game with my crafting, but I choose to play unassisted and with one account. I also have not maximized my crafting potential by fully looking into 'reforging'. I know the basics, but I do not know what options to select and what options offer what values for particular pieces. I mainly do luck and weapons, nothing advanced. There is certainly a lot to learn and handle when it comes to crafters. I had to delete the end of my post as I got into a while huge discussion about fun vs. automation, as most people seem to run programs to assist their game play (or in many cases from my experience being back to UO) completely RUNS their gameplay. Bottom line, do what you like, do what keeps you playing. I just wish there was more 'interaction' gameplay in UO like the old days.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
to go back to the original question. i read this thread hoping to find someone that can produce a lot of copper runic hammers and I just bought 200mill worth of them. and i only needed that many because someone asked me to do a very large job. it is possible to make hundreds of million as a crafter.

at a minimum it is far better to self produce your pvm gear where you can (weapons, imbued armor, jewels) and you can definitely crank out hundreds of mill a month if you learn the system and enjoy doing it.