• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wondering your opinions on this subject.

Yenji Yasagari

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me make this statement first. I realize speedhacks are cheating, and illegal. So, if you are posting just to make that point, I realize it. As a second statement, I also would like to add I WOULD NOT DO THIS ON A REAL SHARD. I don't need it. So let me explain my situation.

I was messing around on Test Center this morning, as I do when I get the opportunity at my college. They offer a t3 connection in the library. So, since I'm normally dialup, I wanted to see just how fast you can be while speedhacking. I used a certain unnamed program, that another member of test told me about, and yes, it does in fact make me skip tiles occasionally. It was much worse in duels, I would teleport on top of the person occasionally.

Now, I just wanted the community's opinion, you think its wrong to use a speedhack if its strictly test. I am highly against them on real shards, and I don't even need them when I'm on a decent connection, not that I use them on dialup mind you. But, just for fun on test, think its wrong at all?

S

slasherofveils

are you looking for a green okay to use it while messing around or something?

TC or not, gm sees ya or you get reported and a gm is around to take a look, you're gonna get in trouble. Because, like you understand, it is cheating.

whether being used to see what it can do or to give an unfair advantage, still cheating and using illegal applications that violate the TOS you agreed to when you signed up for the game.

B

Babble

As developers stated there is a cap I don't see why not to use the program if it allows you to play better.

So if I pvped and it allowed a better connection or fluid movement then why not use it?

G

It is a very short walk from TC to production shard. If you try it on test and like what you see there is nothing but morality to keep you from using it on production shards and usually morality decreases as frustration increases. In my opinion it would only be a matter of time before you would be using it on production shards if it proved to give you an advantage.

S

slasherofveils

<blockquote><hr>

As developers stated there is a cap I don't see why not to use the program if it allows you to play better.

So if I pvped and it allowed a better connection or fluid movement then why not use it?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) they give an unfair advantage
2) it is not a UO Pro App (to quote EA's page: "Again, if it is not in the approved list of UO Pro programs, then it is not ok to use with UO")

those reasons enough?

Yenji Yasagari

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing is, I am dialup 95% of the time. When I am on a decent connection, I am a VERY GOOD PvPer. I don't need speedhacks to PvP. But it was kind of fun, being able to outrun other people who were speedhacking. I'm not looking for a green okay at all. I'm just wondering if people were SUPER-AGAINST speedhacking on a test shard is all. I don't care for EAs opinion on the matter. I stopped caring about their opinion when they stopped caring about me breaking a scripters armor with a butcher knife and holding him in place for three hours, only to have a GM not show up, and giving me a canned response.

B

Babble

Then ban teamspeak too or icq or windows when you set the priority of windows higher maybe?

Good programming catches unfair advantages and they said that have.

S

slasherofveils

TS, ICQ and chat programs don't effect how UO work and run.

speedhacks blatantly obviously change how UO works, allowing you to move super fast. That is cheating and if you use cheats, I really hope gms wake the hell up and ban you for using them.

Same with scripting and macro programs. they let you play when you sleep/go out/etc. again it is why they are illegal.

Man im not the greatest at pvp, and I don't mind when I get my ass kicked in pvp, but when its some jackass cheater who sucks so much they have to automate pot drinking, and need third party illegal applications so they can run as subsonic speeds. LAME.

Save cheats for your console games; they don't belong in mmpgs

B

Babble

Still those programs have a great effect on gameplay.
Who says that someone with a slower connection cannot use a speeding program?

And I agree that the gms ban every cheater anyway, is why there is hardly any.

H

humaofcats

the main reason I say no is because just because yer jut messng around doesn't mean the people yer affecting are.

I

imported_lady michelle

I never used one but back in the day on the test center anything went so it was allowed, but now adays with new Devs, and Gms it might not be allowed.So i would get this confirmed by a Dev.
I do have to agree with the others tho if you use it on the test center you will be lured into using it on a production shard.

S

Smokin

Speedhacking on test shard is like a gateway drug to do it on a real shard.