• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

With the exception of botting, how do you get museum rewards?

R

Rocklin

I see many houses on my server with Museum rewards. Not just the tamer only ones either. I have looked through this site and a couple others, but I have not found any solid ideas on how to get a large amount of points. I don't mind working for the different rewards, but some of them seem really out of the realm of possibility. Any insight or tricks to getting points? Thanks.

S

Stupid Miner

I see many houses on my server with Museum rewards. Not just the tamer only ones either. I have looked through this site and a couple others, but I have not found any solid ideas on how to get a large amount of points. I don't mind working for the different rewards, but some of them seem really out of the realm of possibility. Any insight or tricks to getting points? Thanks.
I used to be able to chop frostwood to trade for points, but now it's kinda ridiculous. Scripters win.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you really want to do it yourself:

Check the items your chosen collection will accept, and check their price against NPC vendors. Work out which items gives you the most points per gold piece.

Once you've worked that out, mark a rune to every NPC vendor you can find that sells that sort of item. Remember Fel vendors are cheaper.

Now you just recall through each of these vendors in sequence, buying their full stock and dumping it into the collection. The more you buy, the more the vendors will have each time they restock.

Repeat until you either get your item, run out of gold, go insane, or decide to buy off another player instead.

Unfortunately the system relies on nothing other then the patience of the player, and bots have unlimited patience.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you are talking about different collections, then you must be talkign about the Library - not the Zoo (tamer) or the Museum (which takes a single list of different items).

Bomb Bloke has it right for a number of things.

But here's a few more tips for the Library collections (of course, 1 character has to handle all donations to a specific NPC):

1. A good miner can do the Master of Trades part of the collection REALLY easily - especially if they have a combat character adding in leathers.

2. The Mage and Necro collections are a matter of going to the various shops (hitting the FOUR places in Moonglow is probably the quickest) that sell regs, and keep rebuying them over and over until they hit 999 per restock. Tedious, but doable.

3. The Animal trainer is fairly straightforward - the scales off the various dragonkind and sea serpents (which, also, will give you leather to donate to the trades). You can also have a carpenter in training be the friend of the library for this one, and donate crooks, as they are a very good option for training skill to GM.

4. Similarly, look around for other things a crafter can make to train (bokutos, to the Samurai, Lockpicks for the thief, IIRC) for other collections.

K

Kensai Tsunami

yup ...once again all they did with random resources was to give the scripters full tilt gung ho monopoly on rewards from all the collections.
do the math. it takes literally yrs of work for the common man to get some of the rewards. on the other hand a scripter works 23/7. its almost like they are catering to cheaters, and its sad. another bright idea that screws the honest player and rewards the cheaters with all the goodies. i just keep on chuggin along with my little collection endeavors; screw the cheaters. what sort of loser cheats in a video game anyway?!? and dont bother flamin on me either ya friggin punk cheats. i have no time for fools or idiots.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya I didn't want to compete with the scripting so said hell with it. Then friend hit the jackpot chest at an IDOC that was filled with glasses. Lame ya but I gave the extras away. Museum scripter had a vendor at my place and got banned so freebies.

Do the time, earn them your self and you'll feel 100 times better about it then a hack does. One of the first few to get the Luck Glasses from the Library. Good one for the fisher training turning in the steaks. To bad the Hat of Chuckles take 1/4 the time to earn and is better. And as far as the Zoo. Hardest points to earn and the biggest line of junk compared to the other two collections. Zoo is great if your training a tamer still.

R

Rocklin

Ya, I can see I need a plan of action to figure this out. I have never cheated in a game, and I don't intend to start with the first game I ever played online. I will look at options for turn-ins and go from there. This is going to take awhile... lol.

T

Teeshy

I started trying to turn stuff in for the library collection, I wanted a pair of mace and shield glasses.

I was *this* close to finding a script to turn the stuff in for me, but then decided to buy them off someone else instead =P

Tedious isn't *quite* the right word, and having carpal tunnel in both wrists REALLY doesn't help with a thing like that! =P

*edits* I should add, I have three ongoing collections at the library, and every now and then I drop another 30 or 40 items off at each one. In approx 55 years, I should have them finished LOL!

F

Farscape

If you are talking about different collections, then you must be talkign about the Library - not the Zoo (tamer) or the Museum (which takes a single list of different items).

Bomb Bloke has it right for a number of things.

But here's a few more tips for the Library collections (of course, 1 character has to handle all donations to a specific NPC):

1. A good miner can do the Master of Trades part of the collection REALLY easily - especially if they have a combat character adding in leathers.

2. The Mage and Necro collections are a matter of going to the various shops (hitting the FOUR places in Moonglow is probably the quickest) that sell regs, and keep rebuying them over and over until they hit 999 per restock. Tedious, but doable.

3. The Animal trainer is fairly straightforward - the scales off the various dragonkind and sea serpents (which, also, will give you leather to donate to the trades). You can also have a carpenter in training be the friend of the library for this one, and donate crooks, as they are a very good option for training skill to GM.

4. Similarly, look around for other things a crafter can make to train (bokutos, to the Samurai, Lockpicks for the thief, IIRC) for other collections.
Vesper Museum is simply lumber lumber lumber with it being so easy to chop wood now you take 5 packies and fill em up! donate and points move quick.

Zoo is a case of pray you see them on a vendor then grab them

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frost/blood/heartwood is how I got the one I bothered to get. Then they went and randomized it, and that plan went down the pooper.

Luckily I dont care enough to want anything else.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My favourite way to get normally bot gathered items is to IDOC hunt. You can't guarantee you'll get the items you want, but it's much more fun than hauling a ton of resources or crafted items around Britannia ;)

Wenchy

T

The_Letter_E

If they made these thing more reasonable people wouldn't feel they need to script. I think someone hit the nail on the head when they said carple tunnel syndrome. Most items take 3-4 clicks to turn in if they're not on the main page.

If UO wants to get rid of the scripters they need to find a way to decrease the clicky part of doing these things. Why can't I just drop in a box or on the character for the points? Why do I need to page through the gump to find the item I want to turn in, select that item and then target the item in my pack....that wouldn't be all that bad except the gump always resets to page 1 when you do that. Arg......

E

Borric

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I make a LOT of spellbooks. I used to turn them in. Now I leave them in bags. People always ask me why I dont turn them in. I always tell them that at my rate it will take 15 years to get 1 top end reward. I make the spellbooks for the superslayers, and never really intended to get and library rewards, but i figured what the heck. Now I feel its simply a waste of time to turn them in with *no* chance of a reward.

Borric

E

eolsunder

Some rewards, especially the zoo ones, are much easier done by earning the gold itself by hunting, and then just buying the rewards outright. The rest are usually done by scripters because the devs back then ignored all advice on how to do it, and have ignored all advice since to fix it.

So you can either do what everyone else does to actually get something in their lifetime, bot, or just buy the items, or use gold to buy the items.

Come on LOL look at the T-map turnins, you think ANYONE ever turned in enough maps to get a high end reward? of course not, it would take years. A lot easier to just hunt and earn 10 mil gold.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cheaters are EA's prefered customers.

Don't believe me?

Just look at the systems they have implemented and their complete lack of enforcing their own rules.

O

Orthus

Some rewards, especially the zoo ones, are much easier done by earning the gold itself by hunting, and then just buying the rewards outright. The rest are usually done by scripters because the devs back then ignored all advice on how to do it, and have ignored all advice since to fix it.

So you can either do what everyone else does to actually get something in their lifetime, bot, or just buy the items, or use gold to buy the items.

Come on LOL look at the T-map turnins, you think ANYONE ever turned in enough maps to get a high end reward? of course not, it would take years. A lot easier to just hunt and earn 10 mil gold.
Ok, I tried the musician with drums (8 pts each). It took me about 18 secs to click enough times to turn in 8 drums. The glasses will run you 100,000 drums x 2.125 secs per drum = 60 hours of just clicking. This doesn't count a) buying drums; or b) tink'ing drums. 60 hours of clicking...so you should use gold. Okay, 1 pt / 15 gold. That's 12 million. I don't care who you are, earning 12 million in game is a long time, particularly when they changed the bags of sending. Now, consider that the point of this isn't to reward dedicated players, since the time involved is astronomical to do this by legitimate means. The point is actually to add a drain on the overall economic wealth that will flow faster than the associated faucets that pour wealth into the game. In fact, this drain was, for a time, incredibly effective, particularly among script monkeys. A drain on cheater wealth that offers artifacts that are marginally useful (you can achieve similar resists, etc. by other arti's or really good enhanced monster loot). This seems like something the devs would view as a good thing.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Ok, I tried the musician with drums (8 pts each). It took me about 18 secs to click enough times to turn in 8 drums. The glasses will run you 100,000 drums x 2.125 secs per drum = 60 hours of just clicking. This doesn't count a) buying drums; or b) tink'ing drums. 60 hours of clicking...so you should use gold. Okay, 1 pt / 15 gold. That's 12 million. I don't care who you are, earning 12 million in game is a long time, particularly when they changed the bags of sending. Now, consider that the point of this isn't to reward dedicated players, since the time involved is astronomical to do this by legitimate means. The point is actually to add a drain on the overall economic wealth that will flow faster than the associated faucets that pour wealth into the game. In fact, this drain was, for a time, incredibly effective, particularly among script monkeys. A drain on cheater wealth that offers artifacts that are marginally useful (you can achieve similar resists, etc. by other arti's or really good enhanced monster loot). This seems like something the devs would view as a good thing.
I did the drum turn in; I've done about half the library turn ins so far, tho I'm stalled right now but I'll be getting back to it soon I think. What makes the turn ins much easier is to use UOA to turn items in. I would not recommend this with the spellbook turn in unless you remember to take your spellbook off and put it on a beetle or something each time (or any of the quests where you are turning in duplicates of items that you need and have in your backpack).

What you do is record the macro, open up the NPC turn in, click the blue dot, target an item, click the blue dot, target an item...keep doing that till you have turned in X many times, then close the turn in window and stop recording. Now the fun part is changing each of the "target"s to "target item type". You do not need to add in a delay, and you will zip through turning in the items. :)

O

Orthus

I did the drum turn in; I've done about half the library turn ins so far, tho I'm stalled right now but I'll be getting back to it soon I think. What makes the turn ins much easier is to use UOA to turn items in. I would not recommend this with the spellbook turn in unless you remember to take your spellbook off and put it on a beetle or something each time (or any of the quests where you are turning in duplicates of items that you need and have in your backpack).

What you do is record the macro, open up the NPC turn in, click the blue dot, target an item, click the blue dot, target an item...keep doing that till you have turned in X many times, then close the turn in window and stop recording. Now the fun part is changing each of the "target"s to "target item type". You do not need to add in a delay, and you will zip through turning in the items. :)
Ahhhh! Having never ponied up the 15 bucks for UOA, I had no idea it was so useful.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

After turning in all my stored maps, plus all those I snag since (I only do the level 6 maps now), I now have 5000+ points...It's definitely gonna take a while to hit the 800,000 points needed for a pair of glasses...

I did finally managed to get the fisherman's glasses though.

UOA helps tremendously!

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i am a innkeeper, you all must send me 3.5m or i will report you for being out of character.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Harlequin, if you're not all in that need of the gold, do as I've done...

I'm 400k into the T-hunter by not only doing the maps & turning them in, but selling the scrolls & gems for gold, and donating all gold from chest, spawn and sale of stuff from chest to the library. Typically, you'll get 10 times more from the gold than from the map itself, and it fits the spirit of the donations.

S

Splup

Problem is that devs seem to try to make things complicated enough, so scripting wouldnt be easy.

Too bad making things complicated means, that honest players can't be arsed to even try to do those things, so the items the system provide become very expensive. When items are expensive, scripters are rdy to use a lot of time and energy to make a script to do these complicated tasks, cause the money is good.

This leads to situation that scripters make a looot of money, and honest players have to pay...