• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

With a very heavy heart we announce the loss ...

Queen Mum

Crazed Zealot
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

With a heavy heart and tears on our souls, we regret that our beloved John W. Oakes Jr., known as Norman Bates of UO, and the Evil Banker for UO Radio Deal or No Deal show, passed away on October 28, 2017.

He was a dear friend and a mentor to many in UO and in real life. Our hearts, minds, and souls will always remember him as the banana phone man and the Pacific Auction House leader.

He designed and built a fantastic city on Siege in Umbra known as The Mother Lode, and dedicated his off time to building Ultima Online as the best game to play on.

We love and miss you Norm!!

*We will continue on with the in-game shows with the hope that each one will be up to the standards that he required.*

There are two in-game memorials being planned after the holidays. One on Pacific and one on Siege. More details to come.

There is a special page created for those who would like to leave a message in his memory.

Norman Bates the Evil Banker

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Very sad news indeed. My sympathies to his family and friends and all who knew him.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry to hear of the loss. Having lost a dear UO friend 3 years ago I certainly understand. Sympathy to his family and friends. May his memory live on in them.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
He always seemed like a great person, sorry to hear about this :(

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

With a heavy heart and tears on our souls, we regret that our beloved John W. Oakes Jr., known as Norman Bates of UO, and the Evil Banker for UO Radio Deal or No Deal show, passed away on October 28, 2017.

He was a dear friend and a mentor to many in UO and in real life. Our hearts, minds, and souls will always remember him as the banana phone man and the Pacific Auction House leader.

He designed and built a fantastic city on Siege in Umbra known as The Mother Lode, and dedicated his off time to building Ultima Online as the best game to play on.

We love and miss you Norm!!

*We will continue on with the in-game shows with the hope that each one will be up to the standards that he required.*

There are two in-game memorials being planned after the holidays. One on Pacific and one on Siege. More details to come.

There is a special page created for those who would like to leave a message in his memory.

Norman Bates the Evil Banker
Oh wow... that really sucks. :(

Thoughts to his friends and family. :(

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think he was honorable person who live his life to enjoy others.

I don't use FB, so this is the only way i can write down my expression of condolences.
My best wishes goes to his family and friends.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A great person that will be missed. *sends Cookie hugs to Mum and Norman's family*

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*flips through the pages of an old tomb with the name Norman Bates lettered in gold down the side. The story and histories of The Evil Banker spread through the endless pages before him. As the light of the day fades, reaches up and sets the tomb on an old dusty shelf alongside several other names lettered the same way down the spines.*

Norman my old friend I will miss our occasional lunches and your fun plans for the communities of Sosaria. Travel safe my friend and rest assured you made a difference for many travelers in Sosaria.

*Lights a Candle of Love in the window and settles down a small table by the fire with two chairs and pours two glasses of Good Old Moonglow Red. With a flourishing salute to his friend in the empty chairs he raises the glass and takes a long drink draining the glass to the dregs*

*Glancing up to the new book of the shelf he pours himself another glass and glances over reflectively at the fire*

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
My condolences, words are always hard at this time. I am glad that UORadio will continue on with the Deal no Deal games, they have been an enjoyable fun event on each shard. I am sad that the evil banker will not be there, may his presence live on in Misty as his evil twin sister. God bless his family may that it will help them with the sorrow of this loss in their life's. Lord above be that he was the evil banker please overlook this as it was only his way to be fun to all of us that were able to be there for these fun events. God Bless them all.

Morgana Grim

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He will truly be missed. What a great sport and entertainer while playing Deal or No Deal. My thoughts go out to his irl family, gaming friends and the UO Radio family.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am so sorry to hear the news. Deal or No Deal will never be the same. RIP John Oakes aka Norman Bates. Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Eon Blue Apocalypse

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
This is why I love UO. It's not just a game, its a community of people that make this game great.

I'm sure he was a great man and will be missed. Good vibes to his family and friends.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Deal or No Deal has had a special place in my heart for some time now. I am sad to read this news :( It is a loss to his friends, family, and to Ultima Online. My heart goes out to all who knew him, for he shall be missed.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Just now reading the news and join everyone in expressing my condolences to Norman's family and friends.
Always had to chuckle when he would get into it with a contestant or someone in the audience...

He will be missed but never forgotten ... Glad to see the show continuing.

*drops a snowball in front of the desk and an empty chair*

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am very sad that we have lost a good man and friend. He always made sure I was supplied with deco items when he saw me running around...
His humor and candor will be missed. My deep felt condolence to family and all his friends who will miss his very big heart and soul running around.

Rizarium

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember when he first ventured onto siege many moons ago. I would not say we were more than friendly, but he added to the siege community, and he made the game world a better place to play.
Sending prayers to his family.
Strength and Honor
Riz

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Meez so so so sad to hear dis. Meez send big hugz to all himz family und friendz espschulee to all da UO Radio hummiez. (Meez jus gettin back fum uh trip to see meez family und jus now saw dis.) Meez glad yooz gunna keep doin da showz - meez sure himz work hard fur demz and lubed doin demz. It wuld beez uh shame iffn dey ended - meez sure himz wuldn't wantz dat.

Meez guna beez dere fur da next show to dance, pee, und hab fun but til den meez gunna hang meez earz and crie in da korner. :( :sad2:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I am so sorry to see another leave this way... :(

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
John Oakes aka Norman Bates will be deeply missed. Sis and I only knew him through the WRR Deal or No Deal. Thanks to Norman Bates I will forever have Raffi's Banana Phone on my cellphone,

This is for Norman Bates for the last time complete with dancing bananas. . .

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
One of my earliest experiences when I'd returned to UO a couple of years back, was to attend a Deal or No Deal show! I had a blast, thank you Norman Bates, thank you evil banker, thank you Mr. Oakes; goodly gentleman behind the characters you created and shared with us lucky folk....
snowballa.jpg

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Saw this on FB and got very sad...