• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Old School Winter Silence

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello fellow rares collectors,

I was vendor hopping earlier today and came across this ring that stood out to me. I have been away for some time and I wasn't sure if it were a new quest item in the game or if it were just an old oddity. Having winter in the name and winter being one of my favorite times of the year, I quickly purchased it for a role playing character I am wanting to build. My curiosity swept me and so I googled the name of the ring just to see where it came from and to my surprise, I couldn't find anything, really. What I did find was an old thread from 2010, a rares wiki post and a story from the Atlantic Mage Tower website dating back to 2001. Here are the details:

Stratics thread from 2010

The three participants gave their thoughts and the concluding idea is that it could have come from the Solstice Stag from the holiday events or it could be an old wedding band

Stratics Community Wiki

The rares database has this as an event item from season 7 (2009) from Pacific. No further information, including quantity, is provided. Event Moderators from this time period were known for providing their drop numbers for the most part and when comparing the community wiki to the Rares Archives constructed by @Manticore and other notable archivists of rares, the ring doesn't make a mention in any season or special event.

EM Event Items - Rubbles - Server Births

Atlantic Mage Tower Community Board

I found this while searching endlessly through google and it deptcts a memorium of a lady by the name of Jenny and her adventures with the author, Aldroud. While the ring itself is not specifically mentioned in physical detail, the story does reference a ring being given to Jenny and a wedding taking place between Jenny and Aldroud. A poem was attached that reads:

Moving through the woods on a starry night
Winds in the pines, oh mysterious sight
Riderless the stallion trots through the trees
While sounds of the night are aloft in the breeze
Pure white clouds, floating on air
Moonbeams dance on her golden hair
Look to the east, does this pale dawns light
Signal the end of this long winter's night?

Over the rocks falls a bubbling brook
Glad it is over the path it took
For in a hidden glad it fills her pool
And reflects her eyes a lovely blue
Purest white is the virgin snow
Surrounds the pool in a pearly glow
A ray of light filters down
The woods are still, there is no sound

Distant silence pierced by his call
An eagle takes wing from his aerial
With a fighting spirit indomitable
Of tenderness and love he's capable
Aloft in the air he circles about
And settles into his chosen route
Winter silence, falling snow
So serene is the Earth below

Take note that Winter Silence, the name of the ring, was referenced in the poem and the reference to past posts as a wedding ring fits align to this narrative. Tragically, after reading the community board, one comes to discover that the person who portrayed Jenny passed away in a car accident on November 1, 2001 and this memorium was to live on in her memory.

Conclusion
My purpose of writing this post and trying to discover its origins is simply out of curiosity and the awe inspiring detail of uncovering a story of past ultime lore. I do not know where this ring originated from so I am hoping that maybe someone here does. At the moment it ranges from a wedding ring to a solstice stag item. There is a story to almost every item in the game and I think shedding a little light into the past can give us insight into the inspirations of what went into some of the early moments of Ultima's history be it 2001 or 2009. For all I know, there could be nothing special about this ring at all. I guess it is the mystery that made me want to post this and get other thoughts on it as well

Thank ya in advance :)

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There’s multiple of them so it’s not a magic moments item. Definitely an event item. I had 2, sold one and have one for sale still. And you bought 1 today so that makes at least 3 I know of.
Must have been a coincidence on the ATM story then! Thank you for shedding light on the item :) narrowing down the origin factor now