• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Windows Defender suddenly giving false positives on client.exe

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UOA told me that it couldn't find the client, and client.exe was completely gone. I uninstalled and reinstalled the full game only to find client.exe still couldn't be found.

So I checked my logs, and I suspected, client.exe was quarantined, for supposedly having the Bomitag.D!ml Trojan. However, TrendMicro's standalone tool found nothing, so I restored the file, and all is well.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing here with the most recent windows defender definition files on 2 different PCs with Windows 10 (1909). i checked both clients.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your computer may be infected by other virus. If you download the client installer from uo.com, the defender will not flag anything.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've run checks with a few others; no threats detected, and this is as clean a box as you can find.

My post is in case anyone else's client.exe is suddenly gone. It's likely something with aggressive heuristics, but strange that it didn't happen until days after the latest patch.