• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Windows 8

MageCruella

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anybody using UO in Windows 8? We are about to install and would appreciate any insight you have to offer. Thanks in advance!

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anybody using UO in Windows 8? We are about to install and would appreciate any insight you have to offer. Thanks in advance!
I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro over Thanksgiving weekend. The only "UO Issues" I had was I had to re-tell my security program that it was okay to let UO run. I personally would recommend that you back up everything before you upgrade, including your character profiles, etc. Not that I experienced any problems with that (I didn't), but it is enough of a 'change' that you really do want to back stuff up first. (I used an external drive for that.)

I like Windows 8. It's almost like they built a 'shell' around Windows 7. Yeah, it's a little different, but not *that* different. Read/watch everything you can on the Windows site that shows you how to work with the new interface.

The bottom line is to back stuff up, and do no hesitate to call Microsoft's help line if you need help. I did have to call them for two small hiccups (not related to the install or UO - just small things I noticed after installing Windows 8). But they were great and got everything squared away in short order.

Oh, and I usually run EC, but I have the classic client on my machine as well. Both ran after upgrading. I don't have UOAssist anymore but the bottom line is that 99% of the programs that run on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8. Ah - another piece of advice - run the compatibility program that they have and download in advance the Windows 8 drivers you might need for things like your printer. I just downloaded all of that stuff onto a handy thumb drive before I upgraded. I did have to download the latest software for my Logitech G930 headset software. It worked without the software, but worked *much* better after I installed the latest program they have for it (which includes Windows 8 drivers).

It might take some time to do all of the foregoing and upgrade because it is apparently significantly different 'under the hood' than Windows 7, but if you can keep from getting frustrated with it, you should be able to be up and running within a few hours, and have all the bugs/kinks worked out within a day or two. (Some things might not hit you immediately that you need a driver update, but as you work with your normal programs, you'll quickly figure out which ones really do need an upgraded driver.)

Enough babble. May it go without a single hitch for you!

Okay, I lied. One more thing - it will help if you can set up another computer nearby that is still running Windows 7. That way if you have any hiccups, you can look things up on the Windows website using your 'backup' computer.

Last edited: