• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Will the Sandbox games ever return?

• Thread starter Tox The Murder
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
T

Tox The Murder

Will the sandbox games....ever return?

Old style UO?
Shadowbane?
Ashrens Call? {i think that was one}

Its getting little old......MMO after MMO...all failing.......Will the Sandbox games ever return?

What u guys say on this?

Steelhead

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is still a sandbox game....no other game comes close to the open world and open ability to enjoy the parts of the game without leading you buy the nose like alot of others....especially WOW...lol.....cant tell you how burned out I got on WOW doing quest after quest and quest.....only to have to wait til level 20 to get a decent mount. Funny how WOW emphasis was on ground movement and storage capacity...lol.

K

Kralock

I know of a few more recent games that are sandbox-ish, just not any huge budget games.

F

ForTheCity

I don't think huge budget games will make sandbox ones just because they don't want to spend so much money and really have no direction in the game.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hate to admit this but we are relics. We want open worlds we want to think for ourselves. We used to be the bulk of the gaming world. We no longer are. As computer games became more popular more and more well for lack of a better term sheeple started playing. "Who wants to think of something to do I want to be entertained lead me by the nose!" became the norm. It’s sad but I accept the trend and figure I will ride UO until it’s over and hopefully at that time I am busy enough that the loss isn't all that harsh.

A

Alchemist Anari

We need something good to come out. Maybe something like an Elder Scrolls MMO. As long as they can adapt it properly to run with multiple people.

I have already managed to wrack up almost 186 hours on my second (never finished the first, decided to stop and re-do perks on a new game) playthrough of Skyrim and I have yet to even beat the game.

There is just so much to do. I'd imagine a game like Skyrim, or any Elder Scrolls game constantly being updated with new quests for different NPCs (interesting ones) with short story lines behind them. Would be quite amazing.

Just assigning random NPCs with quests, that run for so long and then re-roll with a different NPC/quest. (As in, the quest exists for so many days and then disappears.) Not with "heug" rewards to make people mad. But random, miscellaneous ones with short stories attached. A few paragraphs, something entertaining.

How hard would it be to make a unique NPC spawn in an area for a few days. Then turn it off and do something different in another area, with a unique short story-line every few days or weeks. Not more stagnant quests massively announced, but unique ones.

A constantly evolving game, rather than a stagnant one. (No re-cycled bull#### quests. Actual hand written short story-lines for each quest to make the players feel like they are experiencing something new within their ever evolving world.)

In Skyrim you do not have to even follow the main story line to enjoy yourself. More games and MMOs in general need to be like that.