• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Will Darkfall be the end of UO?

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So much UO veterans and UO players all over are going to play this one, to them it is the Ultima Online 2.0 that never came out, the spiritual successor Ultima Online.. There is a ton more sandbox games coming out this years and the next year, Earthrise, Mortal Online, Fallen Earth, Gnostaria, Jumpgate Evolution, Chronicles of Spellborn, and Kaos War are all on the list, so many games that took after Everquest and WoW, and now we're seeing sandbox games developing, I think this is due to the fact that Age of Conan, LOTRO, and other games that have tried to compete with WoW, have failed, and now we're going to see games that break away from it... We can't say that these games are UO Clones though.. The reason why LOTRO, Age of Conan And WAR are considered WoW clones is because they were made to compete with World of Warcraft, to get as many subscribers as they could from WoW, they were made as cash hogs. I predict that Darkfall will be similar to the World of Warcraft of Sandbox games, many, many subscribers, and when all the other games release, they will compete with Darkfall.. But the thing that is on my mind, will Darkfall lead to the end of UO and other classic sandbox games?

For those who don't know, Darkfall Online releases on Jan 22nd, a few short days from now.. Here is the famous fan made video, Darkfall is Coming!

In Flames

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been waiting for the devs to do ONE thing for the past two years.

A small fix. Which has been promised over & over again but never delivered and because of it I'm out $$ monthly.

So will I be going to Darkfall?

Most definately, I'm sick of having to own 3 houses waiting for the final one to fall when it was placed by a non-paying player who logged on for 2 days during September's return to UO nonsense in 2006.

I'm sick of losing characters, an issue I've posted here many times and the developers have told me they can do nothing about and was given an advanced character token to make up for.

There are good (and bad) changes coming to UO but for most of us, it's far to little, far to late.

B

Babble

Will be interesting to see how darkfall plays out and finally we see some sandbox games.
UO will not lose too many customers to darkfall as I doubt the asian players ever heard of it anyway and many people play for their houses/items anyway.
:p

C

CORRECTUO

UO has been over for a long time. The only thing Darkfall is going to hurt is PvP games in general. Darkfall isnt even an MMORPG, its more like quake meets WoW, with all of their magical flying tanks and PvP leader boards. Plus, its going to be all in first person viewmode, which is just terrible. Oh, wait, Im sorry, the only time you get to be in third is when you draw a melee weapon, other than that, youre in first, all of the time. Not to mention the game isnt going to have any north american or australian or asian servers upon launch, nor do they have any immediate plans to launch servers in those areas. Basically, its going to be a mostly European game, with everyone else having to log onto the Euro servers and put up with bad latency and lag.

Darkfall is going to fail, miserably. Its being made by people with FPS mind sets, not MMORPG. Darkfall will be dead after its first 4-5 months.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO has been over for a long time. The only thing Darkfall is going to hurt is PvP games in general. Darkfall isnt even an MMORPG, its more like quake meets WoW, with all of their magical flying tanks and PvP leader boards. Plus, its going to be all in first person viewmode, which is just terrible. Oh, wait, Im sorry, the only time you get to be in third is when you draw a melee weapon, other than that, youre in first, all of the time. Not to mention the game isnt going to have any north american or australian or asian servers upon launch, nor do they have any immediate plans to launch servers in those areas. Basically, its going to be a mostly European game, with everyone else having to log onto the Euro servers and put up with bad latency and lag.

Darkfall is going to fail, miserably. Its being made by people with FPS mind sets, not MMORPG. Darkfall will be dead after its first 4-5 months.
It can be either FPS or Third Person, as far as I am aware of, you can use a bow in third person, will just be easier to do so in FPS... Also, they do plan to open U.S. servers after the release, it may take a few months, or a few weeks, but it will happen, they have stated it.. Darkfall is a lot of Classic UO, meets Shadowbane, meets Star Wars Galaxies.. The focus of the game is clan warfare, kingdom building, conquest, etc.... It is not that they have FPS mindsets, they built the game to eliminate restrictions that don't make sense, they are offering player freedom by making the game more realistic..

C

CORRECTUO

It can be either FPS or Third Person, as far as I am aware of, you can use a bow in third person, will just be easier to do so in FPS...
No, its a forced viewmode. You are in first person all of the time, except when you draw a melee weapon. You cannot use spells or ranged weapons in third. There is no manual toggle for the view.

And that is one of the reasons why it is going to fail.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eleven days before launch and no confirmed open beta? LOL.

When does the closed beta nda get lifted?

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll be waiting till the American release before I play. Don't want another AoC or WAR where the game appears fantastic, then the dev's screw it over

Darkfall isnt even an MMORPG, its more like quake meets WoW

How in any way shape or form is it even remotely similar to WoW?

A better comparison would be Oblivion meets UO

C

CORRECTUO

I'll be waiting till the American release before I play. Don't want another AoC or WAR where the game appears fantastic, then the dev's screw it over

How in any way shape or form is it even remotely similar to WoW?

A better comparison would be Oblivion meets UO
The WoW factor comes in with the rediculous flying seige engines they are going to use in the game. I mean, come on, there is fantasy, then there is just being WoWishly absurd.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The WoW factor comes in with the rediculous flying seige engines they are going to use in the game. I mean, come on, there is fantasy, then there is just being WoWishly absurd.
Because WoW invented Siege engines did it? And it was the only game to use siege engines huh? It's not even remotely close to WoW. Just because it has siege engines it doesn't mean its a WoW rip off.

That's like saying Call of duty 4 ripped off counterstrike because they have grenades.

C

CORRECTUO

Because WoW invented Siege engines did it? And it was the only game to use siege engines huh? It's not even remotely close to WoW. Just because it has siege engines it doesn't mean its a WoW rip off.

That's like saying Call of duty 4 ripped off counterstrike because they have grenades.
No no, you misunderstand. There are seige engines, (catapults, Balistas, trebuchets, etc), but then there are absurd devices that are just completely ridculous. Have you taken a look at the seige engines they are want to use in Darkfall? They are bascially hovering tanks. Hovering tanks!

Think about that for a moment. Darkfall is supposed to be a medieval fantasy setting with technology befitting of the time period. WoW is based on the same premise, but it has things like the gnomish flying machine and those mechanical bird things the gnomes ride. Such devices are a bit over the top, even for a fanatasy setting. By Darkfall making things like the hovering seige tanks, they are following in WoW's over the top, completely outlandish trends.

That is the point I was trying to make. I wasnt saying that because they have seige engines they are ripping off WoW, I was saying that because they are making ridculous devices in game that they are copying WoW.

C

controlfive

Eleven days before launch and no confirmed open beta? LOL.

When does the closed beta nda get lifted?
this. i'll definitely be waiting a month after release before i consider getting it. right now i'm inclined to believe it'll be a flop.

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think it will make a bit of difference, just another game to thin out the market.

I prob wont bother with it becuase its just more the same... and you cant build your own house on it...

Boring, NEXT

C

CORRECTUO

Oh, before I forget, another reason Darkfall will fail, One character per server. SCS they call it. Single Character System = Fail.

Tuferon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it will give some peeps something to do until SA hits besides grumble on these forums. So I expect even more deserted shards, but not cancelled accounts.

C

CORRECTUO

I dont think it will make a bit of difference, just another game to thin out the market.

I prob wont bother with it becuase its just more the same... and you cant build your own house on it...

Boring, NEXT
Thats another reason Darkfall is doomed, you cant place your house wherever you want. You can only build houses with in a guild city. And even then, the guild cities are going to be small. And, on top of that, the guild running the city can choose to destory your house and kick you out whenever they please.

Bascially, they are going to have this huge, open game world, full of open fields and tons of space, but you wont be able to place a house there unless its a claimed guild city.

The Darkfall devs reasoning behind this, you ask? They claim its because the Darkfall landscape is a carefully hand crafted peice of art work and they dont want players ruining it with houses.

......is that lame or what?

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those who don't know, Darkfall Online releases on Jan 22nd, a few short days from now.. Here is the famous fan made video,

go away please. this thread has nothing to do with UO. this is off-topic. a moderator needs to move this.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I'm wondering if after all the hype, if that game crashes and burns whether it will make a lot of angst-ridden people take a second look at UO and think "you know, UO actually get it a lot more right than we we thought"

Some of these threads read more like underground marketting spam than actual player questions. DF has zero chance of interesting people like me, but I guess I'm starting to get territorial about "my" community, no matter how much I way sometimes disagree with them.

D

DuttyD

Im going to try it out... Hopefully I will like it and not get bored to easy.

I tried WAR after it came out, got to lvl 40 and felt bored, I guess it wasn't for me.

Darkfall has a lot of things in common with UO, so hopefully I will like it.

Anyone already in Darkfall guilds?

A

Altec

No no, you misunderstand. There are seige engines, (catapults, Balistas, trebuchets, etc), but then there are absurd devices that are just completely ridculous. Have you taken a look at the seige engines they are want to use in Darkfall? They are bascially hovering tanks. Hovering tanks!
Isn't that what greater dragons are in UO. lol. :owned:

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It can be either FPS or Third Person, as far as I am aware of, you can use a bow in third person, will just be easier to do so in FPS... Also, they do plan to open U.S. servers after the release, it may take a few months, or a few weeks, but it will happen, they have stated it.. Darkfall is a lot of Classic UO, meets Shadowbane, meets Star Wars Galaxies.. The focus of the game is clan warfare, kingdom building, conquest, etc.... It is not that they have FPS mindsets, they built the game to eliminate restrictions that don't make sense, they are offering player freedom by making the game more realistic..
This is probably the least appealing thing I have yet read about Darkfall. Classic UO meets Shadowbane meets Star Wars Galaxies?

I have heard, up until now, nothing but raving, frothing, about how great Darkfall will be. And I hoped it would come true, especially since people keep comparing it to how it will be classic UO reborn, or UO2.

But if your description is whatsoever accurate, I don't see how people could be comparing it to UO... nor do I think I would enjoy it.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will Darkfall be the end of UO?
No.

Worst case is that UO will lose all its PvPers, which is 15% of its subscribers.

Maybe UO will get stronger because time wont be wasted developing and fixing PvP content and the focus will be on PvE content, which is what the majority of UO subscribers do.

In Flames

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No.

Worst case is that UO will lose all its PvPers, which is 15% of its subscribers.

Maybe UO will get stronger because time wont be wasted developing and fixing PvP content and the focus will be on PvE content, which is what the majority of UO subscribers do.
Actually

Worst case scenario would be UO losing all the players that miss the old days and look to make some new memories in this new sandbox.

I'm sure there are a good many people who will stay playing UO, be it the view, or their machine, or the server being in Europe, but there are alot of people who want something new, and fun, and have yet to find that same feeling of adventure that we first found in UO.

Me, I will keep my accounts open, if after 2-3 months I find myself not logging in I will most likely begin cutting down my accounts. If I love DF, I will close all but one UO acct.

S

Shioni

I'll probably get Darkfall just to see how they handle cheating. But if it anything like the COD or Oblivion lag is going to be a huge factor.

If anything I think its going to screw WoW and attract mostly the hard core gamers that laugh at UO.

O

OriginsSyn

To respond to a few posts...

The flying tanks aren't too far out at all. Granted the technology may be an older style, but remember there's magic. For all we know they could have been recovered from the older magic races/beings and are available in this day and age. Now if it's a rocket propulsion system on it I'd say it's a bit iffy, but there are cannons and whatnot so it's not impossible.

Also to housing: You do Not have to be in a clan to make a house! You Can make a house around the world. You just have to be in a clan to make a city. There are still debates about houses being public/private, and if public wins, then they have to decided if they can be lockpicked and maybe steal some stuff. However on the flip side, you can hire guards for your house and place traps in it to deter thieves.

I bet ya'll can't guess I'm looking forward to it, huh? Hehe. I think it'll be a nice change of pace. I've always wanted an MMO where I can gather a group of people, and tactically plan ambushes or battles, and I think I'm going to love it. If I don't...yes I'll probably be back here :p

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the end, until we get the next generation of MMOs nothing much will change even if 100 Darkfalls come out.

Right now it's like a race of who'll use the same old recipe the best way they can. A certain comic strip comes to mind, starring a guy's character called Ohforf.....
I personally want to see different things, like The Secret World.
Or when it comes out, the Warhammer 40K MMO. Even if the new ones will "suck" I cannot stomach what we got now, at least they'll be something NEW.

Another thing is limitations.. Most MMOs do not even have destructible environments or proper physics for example. Right now or maybe in 2 years from now we'll have both the hardware in every home and the possibility for developers to create realistic, fully interactive worlds. WOW doesn't even have doors... On its defense I must say that WOW is stylish, we may not like the style and the graphics certainly are already old but it has a certain style it follows, this cartoony feeling. I suppose in that sense I can cut some slack to UO too.

But if the graphics engines of today were available to Garriot back then, trust me it wouldn't be designed in 2D in purpose.

The hardware part does not apply to UO players so they are safe in your cell-phone graphics paradise.

So sieges and bringing down castle walls is just scratching the surface, so is everything Darkfall offers. It's already out there in some form or other.. Maybe less polished, maybe more.

And yes MMORPGs will always be based on the same core mechanics(that's why they are still called RPGs), I'm not expecting and honestly I do not wish for that to change. Just wishing they start adding innovative concepts, fresh ideas.. New ways of doing things. You know, go crazy with the mechanics. Not Copy/Paste + Rename from one game to another.
I believe, come 201x MMOs will be in Version 2.0 so to speak... I hope the analogy goes through.

Back to the point, Darkfall mixes and matches some of today's games' features in an effort to please everyone, that's all. Nothing new. As I said I personally want something new and strongly believe Dark Fall should be renamed to Dark Fail. I have my suspicions.. ;)

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't play UO if it weren't a 2D game.

I grew up on 2D RPGs, that's what I enjoy.

F

Facehugga

Darkfall wont ever kill UO at all.

I was waiting for Darkfall to. In the past 3 years i tried OVER 20 different mmo's, including WoW, Darkfall and many others.

Well Darkfall, the idea was really great. A sandbox game wheres everything possible to do.
Those who followed the development of Darkfall online know it was a hard long way until this game came out, a small developer team made a nice job indeed.

BUT

1. They're saying Darkfall has 500-1000 different Skills.
Ok, they count EVERY single spell as an Skill. Means like you count Necromancy as 17 different Skills - like that you get fastly this amount of skills, just count once the crafting things together and you're almost there. :p

For me a small disappoitnment.

2. Housing - oh hell yes we heard it from MANY mmo's - Housing will come, we planed to include it on the release day but we didn't had the time.
We will improve asap.

Yeah yeah - Maybe they learned from Blizzard, which's trying since almost 5 years to include a housing system they told a long time ago.

3. NPC Mobs
There are certain spawnzones for mobs. Like goblins. The problem is, like 20 peoples are hacking on the 3 living goblins for one sec until they're gone. Then 20 peoples are waiting for respawn.
The AI isnt really so good as they promised. You may even block a few mobs with 2 players not hacking on the goblin then letting 1st player kill the goblin easy with his bow i.e.

Ok UO mobs arent very intelligent too ;) but DFo is almost 15 years younger (development counted) and there should be really a noticed difference.

4. Economy
Economy? WTF - If a player run economy should grow, there must be ways to get gold of course. 20 guys hacking on 3 goblins, each goblin drops approx 5 gold pieces. Even if the loot would be splitted fair - each player would get 0.75 gold per kill ;-) (i guess thats only in the starting area)
Well how the hell should peoples be able to run a player driven economy - no one has gold to buy items and all peoples are selling items ...
Wont work proper with this small mob-spawnzones they created.

5. The world
The graphics are not really bad. The game is running proper and smooth. But the whole world (at the point i played) didnt even had a single pet or something like a cow or anything else. Just an empty poor world.

6. PvP
Which PvP?
About the city hunting and owning there isn't really PvP, its just the point how good is a group organized or even more: how MANY peoples are in this group.

This game will end in a really big ganking mess. Small guilds wont ever have any chance to claim a small city or even try to attack it.

7. PvE
There isn't really a PvE content at all. I guess it's a PvP based game, but without a small PvE content the thing with the economy wont work at all.

Over all:
The try was nice. But Aventurine needs to fix and change many things until this game could be really playable. Im not really planing to jump into a ganking game.
At the moment it's just the matter how many peoples you bring together until you get what you want.

I quitted my account allready, maybe in one year i will have a look again, but i guess there will be a large problem with the missing time i dindt spent now for getting up the slowly raising skills.

P

Pindershot

If we've learned anything, it's that UO will never die.

There is something about it that keeps us all going....or at least going and coming back.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fact that all the other games on the market are crappier than it?

A

Arch Magus

Darkfall is like a dried out turd on an old stretch of road.
:next: