• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wiki wild west

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We currently have 3 uo wikis:
Ultima Online Wiki – Ultima Online

UOGuide - the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
http://www.uoguide.com/Main_Page
https://community.stratics.com/w/index.php?title=UO:Main_Page

They all have their pros and cons, i think as a community we need to choose one and maintain that one well, rather than have to consult all 3 to find the info you're looking for.

Personally i find uoguide the most comprehensive however for publish 97 taming issues i do find i need to reference the other 2.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The first is maintained by Broadsword; I don't think players can edit it. (I might be wrong, but I can't find the edit button.)

The 2nd two are maintained by two separate UO game sites. I think there was some talk once upon a time to absorb UOGuide into the Stratics one, but talks were unsuccessful.

In general, I think the UOGuide is more complete, but the Stratics one has more active editors.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The first is maintained by Broadsword; I don't think players can edit it. (I might be wrong, but I can't find the edit button.)

The 2nd two are maintained by two separate UO game sites. I think there was some talk once upon a time to absorb UOGuide into the Stratics one, but talks were unsuccessful.

In general, I think the UOGuide is more complete, but the Stratics one has more active editors.
Nah there weren't talks about absorbing UOGuide into Stratics. The idea behind the wiki here is to primarily to replace the old sites creature and item databases,and set up a format that makes it easier for anyone to contribute new data as it comes out. Additionally using it as an archive for Dev Communications is a great perk as well, as newsletters come out and patch/publish notes are released it's easier to archive them, and easier to organize and find them than looking through old auto-feed created news articles. As for the old sites, they'll stick around for a while, there are a lot of good historical info on them about various shard communities and events that haven't been converted yet.

As far as completeness, check back in about 5 years UOGuide has had much longer to build it's content.

We currently have 3 uo wikis:
Ultima Online Wiki – Ultima Online

UOGuide - the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Main Page - Stratics Community Wiki | Stratics Community Forums

They all have their pros and cons, i think as a community we need to choose one and maintain that one well, rather than have to consult all 3 to find the info you're looking for.

Personally i find uoguide the most comprehensive however for publish 97 taming issues i do find i need to reference the other 2.
Honestly I'd rather they all be complete and have a licence similar to the one we use allowing free usage and sharing of the info, provided the license or a compatible license is present on the site that borrows the info. It would assure that if something happened to any one of the sites, be it a closure of any one or a catastrophic loss of data there would be a place for people to go for everything and in the case of a loss of data a freely available resource it can be recovered from.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use this one a lot. Ultima Online Wiki – Ultima Online

I use Uo guide for Runic Re-Forging - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia Their Runic and material charts are easier for me to understand.

And then you have: News | Knuckleheads.dk To help with imbuing.

I would use stratics more but I find it difficult to navigate to what I want. I used to use the maps but they changed them to something that wont load.

The stratics pages will not load for me right now. My internet connection slowed down last week and they time out.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I almost NEVER use the one on uo.com ...... find it a mess and it never has what I'm looking for...

Often I start here on Stratics and if it's not there I go to UOGuide... Unless I'm looking up something about a Quest then I start at UOGuide.

If I want pet information I typically go to UOCraft.com » Pet Power Calculator ... I've always like that site.

If I want ancient history about UO Lore or Virtues I go here: The Hansonian Institute The site is old and often has everything I'd like plus has some awesome video's and such... or there is this one: Britannian Magic Which is fascinating...

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I almost NEVER use the one on uo.com ...... find it a mess and it never has what I'm looking for...
Yeah its a bit of a mess I agree there. I don't really use it at all.

I use stratics Wiki for info on rares / items.

I use UOGuide for pretty much anything else.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
uoguide is by far the best wiki
Depending on what you want... I tried to use it to get information on some of the new quests and things... they aren't there... Couldn't find much on Eodon at all... And I wanted to see where stealables were in Blackthorns... it's not even listed there.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From a UI/UX point of view, uo.com need to have a proper "search bar" linked to wiki replacing the newsletter box below:

It wont beat some calculators on knuckheads and uoguide, but it can be more accurate and up to date

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
while i agree that i would prefer to have the UO.com one thrive i too find it hard to navigate and find stuff, but once found its really good stuff.

the Stratics stuff has historically been the most up to date and comprehensive, then over time it fell to the wayside, do to ownership changes and direction changes and such id assume, but its now striving to get back to its former glory and it is by all accounts more active with updates due to the forum members.

uoguide is the one i most use but i have reservations about it.
1) their adds often kill my browser
2) JC (while being a hell of a nice guy) is or has historically been hot and cold as to UO time.
my fear is that sooner or later he will just pull the plug and his site will be gone.

much like the OP i would love to see one get the majority of the community behind it and personally i would like it to be Stratics as its now 'our' site.

but lets me honest, 3 years from now check back and all 3 will still be fighting for top billing.
its the cycle of UO;
go hard, go into burn out, go into disdain, go into hibernation, come back ready to go hard at it once more!