• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why....

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
do PVP mages use both parry and wrestling on their template? Obviously defense but what is the advantage of using both skills?

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Think of it like rolling 2 dice for defense instead of 1. First roll is your Weapons skill + Defense Chance increase Vs their Weapon Skill + Hit CHance increase. (50/50 for 120 + 45 vs 120 + 45)

Then if they win that roll, you roll the second dice which is your parry chance.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
how does wrestling and parry work together? if you have a shield equipped then does that negate the wrestling skill? Meaning.. you cant have a shield equipped with wrestling right?

kalexpor

Adventurer
do PVP mages use both parry and wrestling on their template? Obviously defense but what is the advantage of using both skills?

i do not know whether most pvp mages use both parry and wrestling, or not.
but, i can tell you that though i use both wrestling and shield but my parrying is not 100, is 0.1. i use the property of the shield, equiping the shield. my character is human, human does not need even 0.1 parrying skill for equiping the shield. i gave 0.1 for parrying for memorial. and i do not know whether the other characters need 0.1 parrying skill for equiping the shield or not.

and, the wrestling skill stands for very wide combat skill area, it could include asia's koong-fu, it could be more effective when be equiped some implements including the shield.

and, you probably have a good skill instead of parrying. it is just the freedom of choice for your template, and it is one of the high quality of ultima online.

and, i like your icon that is the sailing ship on the ocean under the moonlight.

please have a nice journey of britannia.

Last edited:

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
They serve completely different purposes.

Wrestling is no different to having Swords/Mace/Fencing/Archery/Throwing/Mage Weapon/Mystic Weapon. It is your melee defense. Without melee defense you get hit 100% of the time.

HCI & DCI only extend your basic melee hit/defend chance.

Parry is a stand alone skill. That is factored in after melee defense.

kalexpor

Adventurer
i deleted parrying skill, too.
now, i do not have wrestling skill and i do not have parrying skill.
now, i am a pure mage. someone call it fusion mage, because i have mysticism skill too.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
You'd still roll a chance to parry with the shield, though right? You'd just always get 'hit' on the melee defense roll, then have your chance to parry. Not that I'd run with that, (esp for a pvp temp, since that is what the thread is about) but like you said yourself Lord GOD it is a standalone skill. Mystic mage is cool, very viable in pvp as I understand, but don't tell me you aren't using a mage wep!

And in answer to Synbad's question a few posts back, you can definitely wrestle with a shield. The game only checks for any weapons equipped before applying your wrestle to melee defense.

Another interesting thing to note--that only slightly deviates from the subject, lol--if you are using a shield as a 'stat stick' without any parry skill, the durability will last a long, looong time.