• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why Stygian Abyss is delayed indefinitely

A

Ah Beng

I posted on UO Hall :

The truth of why SA is held back is simple :

SA was meant to force everyone onto KR (if you didn't use KR, you couldn't enjoy the new stuff), so they could shut down 2D asap. Now that KR backfired, or at the very least, due to disproportionally high CPU and/or graphics card technical requirements that exclude the possibility of *many* veteran 2D players from joining KR, if/when SA is released, it won't be a marketing success that EAMythic needs, to keep SA/KR/UO afloat.

So we have a stalemate. A large proportion of the playerbase will NEVER move on from 2D to KR. But because EAMythic has invested so heavily into KR/SA, EAMythic is determined to shut down 2D sooner or later (since it's not economically viable to run two clients simultaneously and still progress the game).

In conclusion, we have a doomsday scenario for UO.

Personally, I don't wish UO to end. But I (and a large porportion of the playerbase, whether minority or majority is not known to anyone) won't be using KR, ever (whether due to technical limitations or due to personal preference). So the only (and apparently unfeasible) solution is for EAMythic to get a huge and steady influx of funds, to CONTINUE BOTH CLIENTS INDEFINITELY.

Whether SA is released for KR only, for both KR & 2D, or if it is even released at all, is arguably of secondary importance to the continued existence of UO.