• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why is the SA client graphics suck?

S

spitfire12

wtf EA? KR graphics were great and you downgraded SA client into pixeled piece of sht graphics. Yes the UI, font and legacy containers function better but atleast keep the KR Graphics system, it looked excellent. 2d looks better now than the 3d client.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2d looks better now than the 3d client.
Always has done and always will do. Classic client has already seen two rival clients off in style and consigned them the the trash can. Its well on the way to adding a third to the mix.

T

The_Traveler

I liked the pre-AoS 3D client. The changes made to it with the release of AoS drove me back to the 2D one. None of the others have really been worth it in my opinion.

S

spitfire12

EA are goddamn *******. bring back kingdom reborn client graphics and just implement the nice UI changes that was made to SA (smooth fonts, better UI functionality and also, legacy art and all containers is old school art. i like the legacy art. i just want better graphics models for chars, npc and terrain.

what moron decided to go with SA 3d client and make the graphics worse?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those both look pretty atrocious. 3D was a train wreck.

F

Fink

wtf EA? KR graphics were great and you downgraded SA client into pixeled piece of sht graphics. Yes the UI, font and legacy containers function better but atleast keep the KR Graphics system, it looked excellent. 2d looks better now than the 3d client.
The Enhanced Client graphics were severely compromised in at least two attempts to attract people over from Classic Client:

Lower resolution.. people who couldn't physically run KR due to their own performance issues could now run EC, supposedly. The herd only moves as fast as the oldest and sickest members, so the idea was to support aging machines that had been comfortably running CC for a decade without a problem.

Retro appeal.. they chucked most of the KR art and replaced it with legacy art to lure people who didn't like the new look. People who by and large weren't going to accept anything new in any regard, and hence wouldn't be using the client.

--

Obviously it's not all white and black. Some high-spec machines still have issues with EC. Some older machines ran KR fine. Some people like EC function but prefer the legacy look. Some people much prefer the KR look and lament being sent back to the early 1990's.

--

As far as EC goes, it would be great to have all legacy options to make migration as comfortable as possible for those who want to make the switch. It already has options for classic containers, legacy targeting, legacy speech, classic macro import, and so on. Add optional paperdolls, avatars, mobs, etc. Of course, these would not scale well if you zoomed in but is that really any worse than now?

And for those who don't want the whole retro experience, put the full KR art back in as an option. This would be a tremendous commitment to the EC, as they have often promised.

As much as I would love to see the developer team entirely given over to EC improvements, I'm also of the opinion they should support CC as long as people still want it. But if you gave them legitimate reasons to want to migrate, maybe the whole new client thing would pay off... this time.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think we'll probably all agree (well almost all) that KR was an abject failure. EC is an attempt at a compromise but not close enough to the CC to be a sucess.

What EA should have done for a new client is attempt to replicate (and when I say replicate I mean an exact copy) the CC in a new game engine. They could have then increased the resolution size and implementated all the fancy functionality but it would still LOOK and FEEL like the CC.

That is how to make a new client a success.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
fix your zoom and the pixeled problem is gone :)
the old KR arts was really bad, I wasn't able to recognize the items...

F

Fink

fix your zoom and the pixeled problem is gone :)
Fixing zoom shouldn't require a manual calculation and a text edit of your settings files. Also, why even have zoom when only 1:1 looks good?

the old KR arts was really bad, I wasn't able to recognize the items...
In terms of visual fidelity some were great and some weren't, some were a vast improvement and some were confusing. They really ought to have tried to reproduce the original items, just not in the candy colours and terribly inconsistent scale of the legacy art. Also they should have had an outer stroke for reliable contrast. The environments and mobiles were often gorgeous. In any case, downsizing the resolution was an ugly, ugly move.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Enhanced Client graphics were severely compromised in at least two attempts to attract people over from Classic Client:

Lower resolution.. people who couldn't physically run KR due to their own performance issues could now run EC, supposedly. The herd only moves as fast as the oldest and sickest members, so the idea was to support aging machines that had been comfortably running CC for a decade without a problem.

Retro appeal.. they chucked most of the KR art and replaced it with legacy art to lure people who didn't like the new look. People who by and large weren't going to accept anything new in any regard, and hence wouldn't be using the client.

--

Obviously it's not all white and black. Some high-spec machines still have issues with EC. Some older machines ran KR fine. Some people like EC function but prefer the legacy look. Some people much prefer the KR look and lament being sent back to the early 1990's.

--

As far as EC goes, it would be great to have all legacy options to make migration as comfortable as possible for those who want to make the switch. It already has options for classic containers, legacy targeting, legacy speech, classic macro import, and so on. Add optional paperdolls, avatars, mobs, etc. Of course, these would not scale well if you zoomed in but is that really any worse than now?

And for those who don't want the whole retro experience, put the full KR art back in as an option. This would be a tremendous commitment to the EC, as they have often promised.

As much as I would love to see the developer team entirely given over to EC improvements, I'm also of the opinion they should support CC as long as people still want it. But if you gave them legitimate reasons to want to migrate, maybe the whole new client thing would pay off... this time.
Talk about hitting the nail on the head with the first strike and driving it home with one hit. I would love to use the EC if, and only if, they would let me use all the legacy art work. And for those that want it and can run it add KR art work also.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fink Hope you don't mind but this answer was so good that I copied it to
To the development team: Why we stick with 2D (aka: how to make us migrate)
it says it all. The ECs UI to me is getting better all the time, but, sorry, I can't stand the looks of it. I don't play this game (12 years) for the fancy art. ECs UI with CC art for the win.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I always felt they should have just taken then 2d models, and enhanced the resolution of everything. I remember seeing pics and a thread(if someone could find it) of people hand redoing models for scissors and paperdolls, and the stuff just looked amazing

J

[JD]

i dont see why they cant come up with FAST client that lets you EMULATE cc, KR, or EC?

if people want to look at sh*tty CC graphics, let them

include the new features of the ec, like custom macros, backpack grids, etc, but don't force people to use it unless they want.

ohmyGED

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember a while back that someone posted a thread of the original 2D graphics "polished" up ---- they took the existing low resolution graphics that were pixelated and smoothed it out.....it looked really, really impressive. Keeps the old, unique UO look but with a better appearence.

Someone find the thread! And EA should hire that person!

N

northwoodschopper

i just don't understand why they couldn't just use a scaler for the old 2d graphics. i mean, the emulation community done wonders in this regard. any 'artifacts' from the high end scalers are acceptable in comparison to the visual fidelity achieved. just look at hqx2 and other ones of that caliber.

i can kinda understand that using the scalers would drive the horsepower requirement for cpus, but it would be an optional choice.

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think we'll probably all agree (well almost all) that KR was an abject failure. EC is an attempt at a compromise but not close enough to the CC to be a sucess.

What EA should have done for a new client is attempt to replicate (and when I say replicate I mean an exact copy) the CC in a new game engine. They could have then increased the resolution size and implementated all the fancy functionality but it would still LOOK and FEEL like the CC.

That is how to make a new client a success.
:thumbup1: This!!! I have pretty much posted this before too.