• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why I dislike trying to help on our Shard

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Earlier today I decided to give away some free white cloth dye tubs. Nothing major, nothing expensive. I laid out ten on Luna bank floor and announced in chat. Two mins later Lady "Jane" came, picked up five of them, I picked the other five up before she could. Why? Did she really need five...ten if I had let her?

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I leave stuff for people in the Luna bank all the time. Usually, someone trashes it all for the points.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Jane is a returning player, that hasn't been back long.
She tends to pick up stuff, to help out other people.
a pay it forward, type of thing.

recently we have had several people return and are getting set up again.
Don't know if you have noticed, but Trinsic Rose has also returned.
She is setting up her rune library's again, Tram & Fel side.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jane is a returning player, that hasn't been back long.
She tends to pick up stuff, to help out other people.
a pay it forward, type of thing.

recently we have had several people return and are getting set up again.
Don't know if you have noticed, but Trinsic Rose has also returned.
She is setting up her rune library's again, Tram & Fel side.
That's great.
Still don't see why she needed to pick up all the dye tubs.
Now I just leave them on the ships.

Ning

Journeyman
No offense intended, but this item is so worthless to you that they're not even worth tossing in the trash for CUB points. You laid them on the ground, announced their whereabouts and that they were free, and you're mad that someone showed up to get free stuff?

So mad at me audacity of the only person showing up and taking *gasp* more than one of the items that you consider valueless, by your own admission, that you felt compelled to come to a forum that's virtually unused to lodge a complaint. Not just a complaint, mind you, but a straight name and shame.

Sounds to me like your motivation was never to help anyone in the first place. Sounds more like a feeble attempt at an "oh look at me and what a great person I am, recognize me for it". Further evidenced by the fact you didn't just drop the freebies and go about your day but instead camped them for the adoration of the peasants coming to collect your free worthless items.

So you took your ball and went home and came to the forum to air your grievance in the hopes that others will pat you on your back for your supposed altruism and tell you how awful and greedy Jane was. SMH. You do you. I'm sorry for your loss and thank you for your service. Naughty, naughty Jane.

Good enough?

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No offense intended, but this item is so worthless to you that they're not even worth tossing in the trash for CUB points. You laid them on the ground, announced their whereabouts and that they were free, and you're mad that someone showed up to get free stuff?

So mad at me audacity of the only person showing up and taking *gasp* more than one of the items that you consider valueless, by your own admission, that you felt compelled to come to a forum that's virtually unused to lodge a complaint. Not just a complaint, mind you, but a straight name and shame.

Sounds to me like your motivation was never to help anyone in the first place. Sounds more like a feeble attempt at an "oh look at me and what a great person I am, recognize me for it". Further evidenced by the fact you didn't just drop the freebies and go about your day but instead camped them for the adoration of the peasants coming to collect your free worthless items.

So you took your ball and went home and came to the forum to air your grievance in the hopes that others will pat you on your back for your supposed altruism and tell you how awful and greedy Jane was. SMH. You do you. I'm sorry for your loss and thank you for your service. Naughty, naughty Jane.

Good enough?
You hit the nail on the head!

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Good enough?
Wall of text much?
I don't need a pat on the back, I do what I do for the betterment of the shard, or tried to anyways. I learned my lesson.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's best to not help new players. I know it doesn't sound right, but it in my experience, it just makes them quit sooner. So little is required to actually play the game and for most people, once they have it they lose interest quickly. If you want to encourage people to play, you can give them knowledge and friendship but never, ever, give them items or gold.

Ning

Journeyman
I dunno Pete. Way back I'd find a new player and load them up. Rune book, armor, weapons, gold, etc. About a dozen I bought houses for. Kept a collection of small spots marked just for the purpose. I'd bump into my pet newbies for quite a while. Some found me and helped me out years later when I returned from an absence. Of course that was then. I think the bigger issue with retention these days is that it's a dinosaur of a game that's just not flashy and sexy nor particularly easy to learn.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I dunno Pete. Way back I'd find a new player and load them up. Rune book, armor, weapons, gold, etc. About a dozen I bought houses for. Kept a collection of small spots marked just for the purpose. I'd bump into my pet newbies for quite a while. Some found me and helped me out years later when I returned from an absence. Of course that was then. I think the bigger issue with retention these days is that it's a dinosaur of a game that's just not flashy and sexy nor particularly easy to learn.
or relearn. I took a 7 yr break in the game came back in 2015, it was like it was a brand new game to me. there is still so much to redo, relearn today and far to little time to play, I love this game and the people I meet and play with across several shards. I am going to be 70 (RL) this month, this game makes me feel like a young man or kid when I play.

I also will help new players, mostly with leather armor for the main hunter, insurance gold, spell books rune books. I show them the libraries. Returning players I try to help with more, extra tubs I have from the days when vet rewards were not deleted at IDOC.

Today a few of us are now doing EM events across other shards, as we all have shard shields and can transfer items over to make new characters to fight and equip. I sell most of the drops and use the gold on Atlantic to build and equip new characters that I send to other shards. I am thankful that when mine daughter played the game she loved to visit other shards and used the advance token there to make her characters. I keep using that same account only making sure to make, build, equip new tamers for the shards she never made it to.

Ning

Journeyman
On the upside, in 30 more years you'll be GM. I was gone since 06 and it really has been like learning a new game. It's been a little disheartening to see that Sonoma has become a ghost town and the once vibrant community all but gone. However there are some distinct advantages I guess. I miss having new players around. Helping them was always enjoyable.

I haven't played other shards to any degree. When I thought my accts were gone I played a couple decent free shards to scratch the itch but none stuck. Sonoma has always been home and I'm a sucker for nostalgia and memories of old friends. I still smile when I see a name I recognize, or open one of my Pluffina rune books, or login one of my characters still carrying the long-defunct HOG tag. Sometimes I'll go past my old castle and wonder if it's still the same one I placed on placement night. I'm not sure I could embrace another shard.

I wouldn't mind playing with people now and then. There's still so much content I've yet to experience and places I can't go solo. I've been meaning to ask about joining. PAS but wanted to wait until I got better established and blew the dust off my memory. I'm feeling pretty good now since coming back so if the offer is there I would like to come aboard whenever it's convenient.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
open one of my Pluffina rune books, or login one of my characters still carrying the long-defunct HOG tag.

I've been meaning to ask about joining. PAS
Just register at the forum, confirm the email sent to you and post a hello I am message in the general discussion. You will need to be a register user for PAS information later.
Drakelord#5598 is my discordID

Ning

Journeyman
Oh Sonoma had it's characters to be sure. Pluffy was so sweet. I left for a bit and came back in 03 and she insisted on buying me a house.
After she left and her house in Moonglow fell I placed on the spot for my wife.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Oh Sonoma had it's characters to be sure. Pluffy was so sweet. I left for a bit and came back in 03 and she insisted on buying me a house.
After she left and her house in Moonglow fell I placed on the spot for my wife.
The bustier in the one picture is from when her house fell. Good times before that.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Last night I helped three people at the WWB area. Leather LRC suits and little gold for insurance needs. One is an old returning player who was hacked years back and had to start over with a new account.

Ning

Journeyman
I think I saw you guys. There were a couple of PAS and a player with a young tag. Someone on a beetle and someone named like Amethyst or something? I said hello and exchanged pleasantries with someone.