• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why F2P doesn't work

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey

I played for years, quit and recently got the itch again. So I logged in to check out stuff after an extended break. I am on the F2P as I am not 100% committed to coming back yet.

However I have a few major issues that make it so that I am NOT going to come back. And I wanted to post and explain why as this significantly impacts your game.

1st thing. I drop connection randomly, consistently, all the time. This is absolutely unacceptable. There is no reason ever to drop connection playing this game. I am not going to do all the steps required to determine the issue. I have 100 games that do not do this. I have never had an issue with UO previously. However now that it drops all the time, I have 0 interest in figuring out why, trying to fix it and certainly never going to pay again for it. So that is #1 as to why you will never get random people to pop back in. You can't keep a steady or reliable connection. Now I've considered it's due to me being on F2P currently. But even if that's the case, how are you going to entice people like me to come back? I have 1000s of hours into this game, and it would be easy to slip back in because of that. And I won't because I drop connection all the time for no reason, on every shard, at any time of day. I have tried to play for about a week now.

Yes it maybe due to something with my internet, some client issue, firewall, etc. But why only this game? I haven't tried a free server yet, but that's where I'm headed next. If that drops connection all the time then I will agree it's my setup. But I still won't try to fix it. This game is too old for me to bother with trying to make it work. You understand my position? I can log into a game that looks 100x better, runs smooth and has no issues. Why bother with fighting for this one? Because I have history on it? At this point I have history on multiple games across multiple platforms. I just happen to really enjoy UO.

2nd thing is that as a F2P player I am stuck in the help chat. While not a huge deal and I understand the potential for spam in the general chat, I can't see what is happening, who is on, if anyone I know may still be playing, etc. Limitation of the F2P that makes the game seem dead. I haven't seen a single message all week in help chat. From my POV no one plays. I only saw people move on Atlantic. The few people I did see on other shards were bank sitting/AFK and I saw very few across ALL shards. I have at least 1 completed character on every shard, so I checked them all. Yes I know the old BS saying, just because you can't see us doesn't mean we aren't there. Well I highly doubt we have 1000s of stealthers on every shard. And if so, why? What changed to make stealthing the #1 skill to have? I see very few people in the world and not being in chat makes it even more isolating. Perhaps everyone hangs out somewhere else now. I didn't get to every bank or area, and a big part of that was due to me not being able to get into my bank.

3rd thing, I am limited on my bank. I understand again the limitations of F2P. But I have naked chars with gear in their bank that I can't access. Why? I understand not putting stuff in, but taking stuff out? Just... again you want someone like me to return and get back into the game. I am not able to. I guess this was designed to stop paying players from abusing the F2P system? It just makes it frustrating for someone like me to try to get back into the game.

4th thing is what is with the power creep? I saw armors and weapons that make me not understand the direction of the game. Are we all going for 150 in all stats? I saw shoes that had more skill points then a pendant of magi. I just don't get that aspect, and I am confused to the arch type. I didn't see any animal tamers either. I remember seeing people with dragons, dogs, hiyrus and dreads. No new pets in 5+ years? Just the same old vampire warriors? And the occasional guy with extremely modded armors and a 50 splinter 50lighting 50hld weapon? I was fed up with everyone being a vampire warrior, and it seems to have doubled down on it instead of moving onto a new arch type. And splinter weapon wasn't fun when it came out, I guess it's still not fun now?

5th thing. I understand that PvP may have shifted direction. Perhaps the fight was in a dungeon at this time. Perhaps there is a new area to fight in. But I went to Yew gate on Atlantic at 10PM on a Friday and saw no one. That to me means there isn't anything happening. Again it may have been a big harry battle somewhere, I wouldn't know being isolated in a help chat that no one is in. But to me the yew gate is the pulse of a shards PvP. Bad timing, wrong gate, etc I don't know but that is what put the final nail in the coffin for me.

So in short; I drop connection nonstop, feel isolated and like the game is dead due to the limitations of chat and general communication in the game, I am unable to access the gear I have stashed in my bank, don't understand how after 5+ years the main arch type of a vampire warrior who is OP AF hasn't changed, and there is 0 PvP on the main shard that everyone says to go to if you come back.

Why do I want to battle for this? I am an older player with 1000s of hours in, at least one completed character on every shard, multiple 500+ MC PvPers (I started in 2006 so you understand that counts are different then old school), etc etc. And If I CAN'T get back into this who can?

Just wanted to let you guys know. Not that it matters or will change much. But I was definitely looking for a fun mmorpg to enjoy again. And it won't be this one. I just think that if you want to bring people back you need to do a better job at it. I am the absolute prime candidate for returning. And you lost me.

mihali

Sage
Some ideas/suggestions:
1> Dropped signal by uo server is very rare. It is your ISP/Modem.
2> ATL has a lot of people on even midnight, eg go to Void pool nowdays for some decent fights.
3> Subscribe for 1-3 months, and equip your characters.
4> There still is PvP, eg go to Barracoon champ spawn in ATL and see what crawls through the cracks at you (just pretend you are a newby, and see how long you live there). Also powercreep is normal in any of these MMO's that have survived the test of time, i.e 23+ years, and still have some survivability.
5> Sub again even short time, go to ATL since you enjoy PVP to see if you still like it, Join guild that also includes PVP and PVP new style training, plus non-pvp activities. There are LARGE communitgies on ATL and other shards that you are missing. F2P is not for you and not meant for the full benefits of the game and is severely restricted.

This MMORPG is absolutely massive, and absolutely ancient and has gone through many of modifications and changes, versions etc. It even has a currently alive and active version that is trully with vastly improved functionality (EC).
What keeps lots of us in the game is reminiscing and sentimental reasons, the complexity of the game and its tasks, sand-box game mechanics where you can invent your own method of doing things legally, and friendship.
My suggestion is: How much is $13? You go to the grocery and you get a bag of groceries and you just blew $75 there.
Buy on month hsube and see for yourself. and Fix you modem and get a new one for free from nthe isp.
GL:)

The issue of randomly getting disconnected is a problem that has been occurring since the specifications were changed so that EJ can't have multiple accounts logged in from the same IP. This keeps happening just by being on Endless Journey, even if you're not multi-logging. Of course, BS probably doesn't think this minor annoyance is a problem.

shootgun

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
1st thing. I drop connection randomly, consistently, all the time. This is absolutely unacceptable.
I started having the same issue once in a while on all of my accounts after they implemented the 1 EJ per 1 IP. All of my accounts are paid. I had the issue in both 3rd party client and 3d client. 4-5 people at my guild is having the same problem. Others do not.

2nd thing is that as a F2P player I am stuck in the help chat.
As much as I understand your frustration, this should stay as it is. Otherwise, we get billions of RMT messages a second.

But I have naked chars with gear in their bank that I can't access. Why?
So they can sell the bank access token to the returning players.

4th thing is what is with the power creep?
They have been developing a new expansion, called new legacy, for the last 5 years. Continuously adding bigger and better items every event is their way of keeping the player base engaged.

But I went to Yew gate on Atlantic at 10PM on a Friday and saw no one.
Atlantic yew usually have 3 to 6 people on Friday nights. It is not as crowded as it used to be but you should be able to find people there. But, given the current market and the power item creep, you wont be able to achieve much. I know few PvP oriented people that invested around 7-8 plats for their armor and weapons.

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I started having the same issue once in a while on all of my accounts after they implemented the 1 EJ per 1 IP. All of my accounts are paid. I had the issue in both 3rd party client and 3d client. 4-5 people at my guild is having the same problem. Others do not.

As much as I understand your frustration, this should stay as it is. Otherwise, we get billions of RMT messages a second.

So they can sell the bank access token to the returning players.

They have been developing a new expansion, called new legacy, for the last 5 years. Continuously adding bigger and better items every event is their way of keeping the player base engaged.

Atlantic yew usually have 3 to 6 people on Friday nights. It is not as crowded as it used to be but you should be able to find people there. But, given the current market and the power item creep, you wont be able to achieve much. I know few PvP oriented people that invested around 7-8 plats for their armor and weapons.
You keep saying WE like you didn't rage quit shouldn't you be posting on your new games board?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hmm. Well this is an interesting because I was going to start to respond to the OP before I saw who made the post and then it occurred to me that there was an "I C M" in Gen Chat this weekend talking PvP trash... so I'll save the typing because a few things that were written didn't really add up in the OP but make a lot of sense now that I have a feeling this person is trolling.

Probably should have made your Stratics name different than your player name on ATL :D

shootgun

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Most posters here don't play either, so why not bloviate things you do not know about.
Bro, I literally stopped playing 4-5 days ago. Do you think this is long enough for game mechanics to change?

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Bro, I literally stopped playing 4-5 days ago. Do you think this is long enough for game mechanics to change?
Game mechanics haven't really changed in years... I think you could be gone 4 years and most things would be the same based on the last 4 years.

Most posters here don't play either, so why not bloviate things you do not know about.
Again....the irony here that the king of bloviation of things he knows nothing about is posting this comment is off the charts... but please continue to tell us how the game works; I'm sure someone who actually knows what they are talking about will help correct you. :hahaha:

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm. Well this is an interesting because I was going to start to respond to the OP before I saw who made the post and then it occurred to me that there was an "I C M" in Gen Chat this weekend talking PvP trash... so I'll save the typing because a few things that were written didn't really add up in the OP but make a lot of sense now that I have a feeling this person is trolling.

Probably should have made your Stratics name different than your player name on ATL :D
I am on outlands. No issues at all. It's fantastic.

ICM stands for Ice Cream Man. My nox dexxer who was my first PvPer ever on Sonoma back in 2006-2009. He has since been deleted as back then I was not down to sit out 800 murder counts. Egrin took his spot as a fencer archer. But that was back when COP was around and I had decent pvp and they had honor and respect. Trust me the only trash I would talk was looting your dead body.

My main was Juicy on Chespeake. I wasn't great, and fell off a lot towards the end. But I was always down.

Turned out my mother board had popped a bunch of caps. I didn't know anything about it back then. Plague of the old dells tho. Amazing I still was competitive with a blown board tho.

Anything else you would like to debunk friend? As I said I'm on outlands, so I don't care. Dropping connection nonstop IS THE BIGGEST ISSUE YOU CAN HAVE IN A GAME LIKE THIS.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love learning new words. Well done Pawain.

What does bloviate mean?

To bloviate is to talk, but not just to chat. To bloviate means to go on and on and on and on, usually in a pompous way.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love learning new words. Well done Pawain.

What does bloviate mean?

To bloviate is to talk, but not just to chat. To bloviate means to go on and on and on and on, usually in a pompous way.
I gotta do something to use that Harvard degree in language studies. :lol:
Then I need to find a way to apply my gender studies degree from A&M.

Me likey wurds.