• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why don't runebooks take gate scrolls?

G

I have dropped recall scrolls on the books but today I tried to drop gate scrolls on a new book and it wouldn't take them.

G

best guess?

because they removed the need to have magery on you character to use recall scrolls (a character at zero magery can cast recall using a scroll {now you might fail to cast it, and not lose the scroll a few times before you succeed but you can still cast recall} or use a recall charge from a runebook) where as you still need to have a certain level of magery to successfully cast a gate.

though your question has never been answered by anyone for EAMythic, that is the only reason that I can come up with.

G

Rune books have never been able to accept gate scrolls, just the way it has always been.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Runebooks can be used to Recall or Gate to any location contained within. You can add destinations to your runebook by dropping marked recall runes into it. A runebook can hold up to 16 runes. A runebook can have from 5 to 10 charges. A runebook is "charged" by dropping Recall scrolls onto it. The number of charges in your runebook is displayed on the top left page. Runebooks cannot be charged with Gate scrolls. To Recall on your runebook using a charge, click the blue gem next to the location you wish to go to. You do not need a spellbook in your possession to use charges on your runebook. You do need at least 11 mana, and sufficient magery to cast 2nd circle spells. To recall on a runebook using magery and reagents, go to the page containing the desired destination, and click Recall. You must have a spellbook in your possession to do this. To gate on a runebook using magery and reagents, go to the page containing the desired destination, and click Gate. You must have a spellbook in your possession to do this. To use Sacred Journey on a runebook using tithe points, go to the page containing the desired destination, and click Sacred Journey. You must have a Book of Chivalry in your possession to do this. You can also set a default location for your runebook. To do so, go to the page which displays the desired location, and click the "Set Default" button at the top of that page. The button will turn red to indicate that the selected location is the default location. To recall, sacred journey or gate to the default location, you can simply cast Recall, Sacred Journey or Gate and target the cover of the runebook, just as you would target a Recall rune. One thing to note is that you will have to reset the default location when you change facets, even if the facet is the correct one. A runebook can also be named, to tell it apart from other runebooks in your collection. To name a runebook, open it, and click the Rename Book button on the top left page. Type in the new name, and press Enter on your keyboard. Runebook names may only contain letters and spaces. No punctuation or special characters are allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

EA Knowledgebase here. Boldfaced text is my editing.

G

There are so many problems with that passage that you quoted.

It is not even funny. The knowledge base should be removed or if EAMythic wants to keep it, then it needs to be revised.

a runebook can have up to 20 charges if made exceptional by a character with inscription skill at grandmaster (100) though the number of charges placed on a runebook when made is random.

I just logged in with my paladin. I only have the book of chivarly on him.

I went to my public runebooks which I have locked down in my house, added a single recall scroll. And recalled to a rune inside the runebook using a charge. Opened the runebok to the rune I wished to recall to, then I hit the blue button next to the name of the rune. I have 0.0 magery skills and no spellbook on him.

Ok experiment number 2 just in case my chivarly (it does not but just to be 100% sure ) was affecting the ability to recall:

I sacred journey to my favorite bank. Went to the bank, placed my book of chivarly in my bank box. At this point I have no spellbook or no book of chivarly on my character. I added one recall scroll to my city runebook, again using the blue button next to the name of the city I wish to recall to. I cast the spell with 0.0 magery. I recalled to my marked rune point near the bank. I replaced my book of chivarly on my character and posted my findings here.

I do not remember when the change was made. But the Knowledge Base is way out of date.

Anyone can use charges from runebooks without any magery skill or even a spellbook on their character. They just need a steady supply of recall scrolls to add into their runebooks. Gating requires a spellbook, the spell to be present in your spellbook, and the minimum ability (in the magery skill) to successfully open a gate.

G

thats true, maybe you could at least update stratics since you are a mod?

but I try to be as careful and as accurate as possible when posting in this forum. New players are confused enough with UOs steep learning curve. Which is very different from most mmorpgs today. those that spoon-feed your character to the next task. Not to mention returning players who have not played for years, and all the changes that they have to try to get use to.

I have always felt that UO is the deepest game (mmo wise) that I have ever played. Even with the poor graphics, if you can get a player to stay with UO for a few weeks, I believe you have a really good chance to have a long term player.
Just because of the many options UO gives to a player. Freedom to go, do anything even if only to fail. There are few restrictions in-game. Unlike many modern mmos.

G

That is unfortunate. On Siege you can't recall only gate. How nice it would be to just drop in some gate scrolls so you don't lose them everytime you die.

G

Content updates are a) authored by players and b) done by the content crew (of which I am not) - because of the formatting.