• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why don't my pets lesten anymore?

D

Danger Mouse

Seriously, why do they disobey commands so often now. I'm recently back after a long lay off and I dont ever remember my pets being so strange.

I will feed my Cu and my GD and they will go from Wonderfully to Extremely happy in minutes. When I go out with my Cu I have to bring stacks and stacks of vegetables to keep them obeying my commands. The Cu that I am using is the same Cu that I have used as my "main" for years now and it never acted like this before.

Has something changed with pet loyalty? I know I read a thread were people were having a heated discussion about previous owners, but this is NOT the case for me. I tamed all my pets myself and no-one has ever owned them but me.

Also, I am only at 107ish for taming right now. Im at 120 in lore and vet and jeweled up to 120 in taming.(I've just always been to lazy to really go for 120 in taming, I'll just take my GGS) Maybe this has something to do with it? But, I have fought with this Cu for years and it never was an issue before I quit this last time.

It is just really annoying to have to take 30 or more apple along just to fight with my Cu for an hour or two.

***Crap I just realized I misspelled LISTEN in the title, LOL***

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
If you're always 120 taming/lore when commanding your pets, it's not a skill issue. I think that max control chance is 99%, which means that if you command your pet a lot, its loyalty is going to drop occasionally.

D

Danger Mouse

No, I am not commanding my pets any more than normal. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. My pets start to go wild after just a few commands. If there hasn't been changes to the system there is a problem. ALL of my pets act different than before.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose it depends a lot on where you're hunting.

If there are line of sight issues (i.e. your pet can't see the target), then your pet won't follow your command and loyalty will be lost.

Every time your pet disobeys a single command, loyalty will be lost.

When loyalty is lost, the chance of your pet disobeying again increases.

Extremely happy is nothing to worry about, especially if your pet has only disobeyed a single command. I don't even feed my pets after a single disobeyed command (unlike most other tamers who are obsessive about feeding), and I can't remember the last time I fed any pet that wasn't a dread war horse except in the bonding process.

If you hunt in overland Tokuno, Ilshenar or the Twisted Weald (or other places with similar rolling landscapes), then pets will frequently not see their target and refuse the command, thus losing loyalty. If your pet refuses a command, try to have the pet follow you before re-issuing the command, this way the pet moves to a different location which has, hopefully, a better line of sight.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously, why do they disobey commands so often now. I'm recently back after a long lay off and I dont ever remember my pets being so strange.

I will feed my Cu and my GD and they will go from Wonderfully to Extremely happy in minutes. When I go out with my Cu I have to bring stacks and stacks of vegetables to keep them obeying my commands. The Cu that I am using is the same Cu that I have used as my "main" for years now and it never acted like this before.

Has something changed with pet loyalty? I know I read a thread were people were having a heated discussion about previous owners, but this is NOT the case for me. I tamed all my pets myself and no-one has ever owned them but me.

Also, I am only at 107ish for taming right now. Im at 120 in lore and vet and jeweled up to 120 in taming.(I've just always been to lazy to really go for 120 in taming, I'll just take my GGS) Maybe this has something to do with it? But, I have fought with this Cu for years and it never was an issue before I quit this last time.

It is just really annoying to have to take 30 or more apple along just to fight with my Cu for an hour or two.

***Crap I just realized I misspelled LISTEN in the title, LOL***
With 107 tame and 120 lore you have 99% control, so it's certainly nothing to do with your skill. And you don't need any skill items for control there either.

If you get this consistently in many different locations I'd doubt it was a line of sight problem. But it's worth testing locations where you're sure line of sight can't be an issue and seeing what your results are.

I'm wondering if the game is thinking your skill is lower than it is, and if there's a way you can effectively reset yourself. This might sound crazy but hey, it's something to try... Strip your character down so you're in NPC clothing and bank/store all your items away. Then get your char killed and res him. Log out for the night in this stripped down state, with your pets stabled and then see how your character does in the morning. Don't put his kit back on, just see if your cu listens better around town.

If you have no luck with that, or just want to get on to the GM, I'd say if all your pets are suffering this problem, page a GM and explain that your pets loyalty is falling abnormally fast despite you having appropriate skill for 99% control and see if they can check your character out.

If specific pets are affected page and ask the GM to check your pets out.

Let us know how you get on :)

Wenchy

U

uoBuoY

My pets also have been much less obedient for about the last 10 days on 2 Tamers. Both Tamers are 120/120 and feed their pets constantly. Last night my GD, after being fed, refused my command 3 times in a row! Never happened before.

D

Danger Mouse

Hmmm. This is some interesting info.
I was pretty involved with the SL event and going after all the loot like everyone else then I was out of town for a bit so I didnt get to do any testing.

I was intrigued by the line of site idea but unless something changed, I was hunting in the same places I did years ago. That was the third ToT event and I was around for the first two and I never remember having pet problems.

I took my Rune Beetle out tonight which hadnt left the stables in about 2 years and had some of the same issues. Although it wasnt as tempramental as my Cu's and GD's I still had to feed it a bunch of time to keep it Wonderfully and not disobedient over a two hour span. I NEVER remember having to feed my pets on a regular basis. I used to just feed them when I took them out and again when I put them away. I used to PvP with these pets too so they died alot.

So ar 107 I should be at 99% control? Has that always been the case? I have no idea. I'm actually scrolled and jeweled to 120 anyway so does it even matter? Is 99% the max?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
99% is the best control you'll get :) It's been the max control for a good while.

I'd say you certainly have a bugged character, your pets shouldn't be behaving as they are with your current real skill. Greater dragons would need your jewels on, but the cu and beetle certainly wouldn't. As I said above, the skill items could possibly be causing the problem, but nobody knows for sure. So I'm asking folks questions and hoping that the bug reports and GM pages will help the devs pin down the problem.

Have you had any luck with a GM or tried leaving your kit off overnight?

Wenchy

T

Tinsil

My pets have been behaving oddly too. My Cu Sidhe drops from Wonderfully Happy to Extremely Happy within minutes of just riding... He also doesn't like to respond to commands I give him.

This is with 110 Taming and 115 Lore.

Something definitely doesn't seem right. May post on UHall tomorrow if we can't turn up the reason here.

O

Old Man of UO

My pets have been behaving oddly too. My Cu Sidhe drops from Wonderfully Happy to Extremely Happy within minutes of just riding... He also doesn't like to respond to commands I give him.

This is with 110 Taming and 115 Lore.

Something definitely doesn't seem right. May post on UHall tomorrow if we can't turn up the reason here.
It might actually do more good to report this as a bug... IF you can repeat it. So far, I can't see any difference in my command or pet loyalty, but I keep a close watch on it.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the Crimson Dragons would it?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, as Old Man says, the best thing is to send in a bug report.

Are you using any taming skill items or is that your actual skill level?

Wenchy

T

Tinsil

I first noticed it when I fought the Crimson Dragon... but that was a day and a half ago.

D

Danger Mouse

99% is the best control you'll get :) It's been the max control for a good while.

I'd say you certainly have a bugged character, your pets shouldn't be behaving as they are with your current real skill. Greater dragons would need your jewels on, but the cu and beetle certainly wouldn't. As I said above, the skill items could possibly be causing the problem, but nobody knows for sure. So I'm asking folks questions and hoping that the bug reports and GM pages will help the devs pin down the problem.

Have you had any luck with a GM or tried leaving your kit off overnight?

Wenchy
Although I've never had a mark against my account or been banned or anything like that I've never had a good experience with a GM so I'll save that as a LAST resort.

I tried the kit thing. I took everything off and put it into the bank before server down. Then I ran out and got my naked self killed and logged for two days acutally as I went out of town. I'm not sure if it helped.

I know that would be a long shot to do anything but after I thought about I realized after well over a year away there have been soo many publishes and changes with that char wearing the same kit. Obviously he never changed since I wasnt playing, although I kept my account active so when I first signed on again there could have been some type of bug.

I went out hunting a bit with my CU and it was still happening but maybe a bit less? I used to go out with friends and do Lady Mel or Dreadhorn two or three times in a night and I never remember having to feed it. Now I have to feed the damn thing at least every 20 mins while fighting anything, although Demons seem to be the worst.

I have to go out and test with one of my GD's to really see if it worked.

Whats a Crimson Dragon and why would that mess up a tamer?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, I find GMs are variable, especially if you do have to wait for them to show up and help you.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on after resetting your kit though. I can only think at this stage that somehow the client is messing up the adjustment of your skill and mistakenly thinking you have less than you do.

Crimson dragons are part of some event spawns and have the ability to make dragonkin lose loyalty. I just left them well alone altogether, they looked too beautiful to mess with... and one incinerated my thief lol.

Wenchy

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont see anyone ask if your jewels have dropped? Changed? Dressed left?