• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why does ONE person have to spoil it for everyone?

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay so the invasion spawn is finally working on Legends!!! YIPEEE! I was having a great time kicking spawn butt. THEN I run into the MOST childish, immature, obnoxious, pea-brain in UO.

He proceeds to accuse me of luring on him. I didn't its a friggin event spawn, you fart and 10 things are on you! Then he proceeds to curse using the F-bomb more time in a sentence than Eddie Murphy (For those of you that don't get this rent "Eddie Murphy: Raw")

I paged a GM, and as usual a big fat NOTHING! I got some stupid message about house placement......WTH does house placement have to with childish greifer???? I'm sorry but if people are gonna behave like children then they deserve a 72 HR TIME OUT like a child!

Why don't the GMs do anything about people like this? My sister got a 72 hr for dropping the f-bomb. Why should the rules be any different for anyone else?

Please Devs try to get the GMs to start doing something about these kind of people they ruin events for everyone.

P.S. PM me for the GM's name that blew me off.

Jirel

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again I tell you, dont let people ruin your game. So what they said that stuff. I just laugh at them and go about my gaming. Maybe you should too, and find things to enjoy about the game your playing, instead of looking for reasons to get mad and be offended.

C

Canucklehead73

Heh... Omni I usually make sure to challenge them to a fight in fel at some gate before I go back to my gaming lol, great fun, specially when they come back twenty minutes later wondering why I didnt show up. rolleyes: Thats usually when I say I thought it was this other gate and waited around for 20 minutes for them LOL I have had a few dumbasses that try to meet me in fel over and over... :popcorn:

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My sister got a 72 hr for dropping the f-bomb.
No she didn't. She got it for something entirely unrelated. There's no rules against swearing, "f-bomb" included.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well actually your not allowed to swear in UO. But anyways its only words. Want some chesse?

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whoops, other thread I was responding to was closed while I was typing out my reply, so I'll post it here mwuahahaha.

Consider the possibility that this was as nice a person as you'd ever meet on any other day, but just had a really bad day in RL? Is it worth demanding that our game lose another paying customer just to satiate your desire for justice over the rude language? What if the player hadn't swore at you, but instead called a GM on you for luring in Trammel? What if the then came to UHall demanding to know why GM's didn't ban Jirel over the luring incident?

Seriously - why don't you try to find this character again and apologize, telling them it was an accidental luring? See if they're any calmer. If they swear at you again, then you might have some justification for your report of harassment.

For all you know anyway, the player may have recieved a mark on their account for the incident - GM's aren't going to tell you. No GM is going to appear before you and say "Thanks for notifying us that this player swears like a sailor.. we'll be sure to ban them immediately!" They can't tell you anything about actions made on other's accounts - so in your case they couldn't tell you anything at all.
I get riled by abusive behaviour and if the transgressor keeps at it, you bet I'll page harrassment as well. But I think Tir has a good point. Now, I don't know what exactly happened - however imagine your sis fighting a skel liche/general for the last 20 mins and then a couple of folks ran past with a bunch of unseens/other spawn close behind. When these came near, some aggro'd your sis instead. Or maybe the 2 players ran around a corner and invis'd. Resulting in a possible gray screen and her stuff being looted.

I'm guessing that alot of folk's first thoughts would be the 2 players were either luring or complete newbies. And alot of folk's first words would be something unkindly. The 2 "lurers" say that they are sorry and that it's not intentional.

Then they tell your sis that if it bothers her so much, she should do something else instead.

As her brother, I'm guessing that you'll give them a piece of your mind.

In this scenario, which party is right? I would say neither. Both think the other party has wronged them due to a misunderstanding. It happens. If the GM came, he should bring both parties to jail and make both understand that both luring and vulgarities are not tolerated. Both are on the verge of getting a mark on their accounts and better well play nice because if they make him, the GM will mark the both of them (just to scare them).

There, case settled.

Having said all that, I believe you are more angry at the canned response (made worse because it was for a housing issue) than the incident, yes?

Actually, I suspect that the GM just copied and pasted the wrong canned email. People attach wrong mails all the time, but in this case, the customer is left feeling that the GM didn't even give much thought to the issue and just brushed him off.

If the GM actaully came and showed himself, the customers would feel much better. Though my years in customer server, I realize that nothing is more infuriating to a user than being brushed off/ignored. The user hits a problem and cannot proceed. His only option is to ask for help. People are attending the issue, but no one bothers to talk to the customer. The customer is left feeling helpless.

I find that most of the time, all it takes is for someone to talk to the customer so that he can explain/vent to a live person. That there is someone to SHARE his problem with and get assurance that his issue is seriously being looked into.

I remember in the early days, GMs actually showed up and talked to you when you paged.

I do not know how the support staff in EA is structured, but the devs may not be the correct people to approach regarding this though. The comms manager might be in a better position to do something about it.

I left and sis tried. Well at any rate maybe UO would be better off without me and Sis. I mean what's 4 more accounts flushed down the potty.:sad4:

I wish they'd go back to all fel rules. then when someone behaved like a Boorish, immature, child you could pk them till the message penetrated their thick skull.:twak:

I'm sure their are other would just pk everyone and UO would become a great big killing field.:stretcher: Richard Garriot is right UO IS a failed social expirement. :(
As someone mentioned, if you want Fel rules, it's still around on the other side of the moongate.

Yes, Richard Garriot mentioned that UO is a failed social experiment. But not just because there are people who would just pk everyone just for the sake of it. One of the reasons mentioned was that there was no good way of rewarding the anti-pks for doing the right thing.

He expected that there will be pk'rs and anti-social elements. He also expected that the players would step in to regulate/police or otherwise setup teams to keep the pk'rs in check. Without the need for the GMs to step in and do anything about it. How Sosaria evolves will be controlled by players, and good (anti's) will overcome evil (pks).

The truth is that, it sort of reflects the real world. If there's no law enforcement agency/police, criminals will take advantage of normal folks. Vigilantes can only do so much.

There are probably other reasons, but to him, it didn't pan out like what he thought it would, hence why the failed social experiment comment.

However, I think it is a wildly successful social experiment. How people would behave in a sandbox from the absence of repercussions from death/crime/police etc. How would they bond/respond/deal with the problem.

In summary, I know what I said doesn't solve your problem. I am just suggesting looking at things from a different perspective and you will realize that there is no spoon...

Disclaimer stolen from someone else's post -
99% of posters here tend to state their opinions as facts, I am no different :)