• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Why do you enjoy fishing?

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Let me preface this with saying that fishing is one of the only things in the game I haven’t tried yet.

I’m having a hard time motivating myself to get High Seas and give it a shot.

What’s the allure of fishing and that expansion that people seem to enjoy? How would you convince me on making a fishing character?

Merth

Journeyman
Let me preface this with saying that fishing is one of the only things in the game I haven’t tried yet.

What’s the allure of fishing and that expansion that people seem to enjoy? How would you convince me on making a fishing character?
I fish when i want the least stress/interaction. Its a very boring grind but relaxing after a stressful day. I set goals...do I want to work traps (rarely, hate doing them), do I want to find a serpent streak and work on getting nets and mibs, do I just fish to build up my stocks, do I run the fisher quests, do i pull up sos’s.Lots of options and extremely low to no risk.

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I fish when i want the least stress/interaction. Its a very boring grind but relaxing after a stressful day. I set goals...do I want to work traps (rarely, hate doing them), do I want to find a serpent streak and work on getting nets and mibs, do I just fish to build up my stocks, do I run the fisher quests, do i pull up sos’s.Lots of options and extremely low to no risk.
Does this also mean low reward as well?

Merth

Journeyman
Does this also mean low reward as well?
From the fishing aspect...absolutely. The possibility to get ancient sos’s helps but even they arent great. The quests can give the tough 120 fisher scrolls (long grind). The possibility for shipwreck deco items is there but they arent rare.

I havent done any of the pirate/merchant ship stuff yet so others would have to comment on that.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some would comment that the extra 20% storage from High Seas is reward enough.

That said, I like fishing for the chance of getting a large one that's worth mounting. At one time, we actually kept track of the biggest of each fish from each shard in this forum, but not seen one of those posts in years.

But, Hunting pirates is fun, and there's the occasional rare (the white dye tub)

BrandonDobbs

Visitor

Well you can get the 120 fishing scrolls by doing the fishing quest! those sell for a lot of gold... Bewtween 80-130mil

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I used to like doing it because it was mindlessly simple and I could do it and study at the same time. It made me feel like I was still playing UO while getting through my demanding degree program. Simple yet rewarding. Eventually it got old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used a mythic token to get 90 fishing and then used SOTS to get up to 120. I then went out and fished up 100+ SOS after the loot revamp. 99% of the loot was junk and I've not fished anything since. I hope they put some proper loot into the SOS chests.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I used a mythic token to get 90 fishing and then used SOTS to get up to 120. I then went out and fished up 100+ SOS after the loot revamp. 99% of the loot was junk and I've not fished anything since. I hope they put some proper loot into the SOS chests.
Wait till the upgrade comes up in next week or so. Triton tamable will be there and worth a lot, likely. Also they promised other goodies..Its going to be a surprise I reckon..

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When fishing was first introduced, everyone had a fisher as it was the most lucrative profession. Obviously, those days are passed. I agree with the others about relaxation, just like real fishing.

I am excited to try the new maritime stuff--just have not had time yet. For awhile, I think fisher can equal rich :)

(As long as people don't mind parrots pooping on their shoulders!)

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't fished in ages, but hope to take it up again one day when I've finally sorted through my Bulk Order Deeds and worked through my treasure maps.
I used to like fishing for the same reasons as the other posters: relaxing and low risk. I don't mind that the "most excitement" is when fishing up a Message in a Bottle or a really big fish.
I also used to fish to get my cooking skills to GM, but by now, I have two GM cooks and a gigantic stash of fish steaks.
I don't like to lay lobster traps, but only because they're a horror to my RSI-stricken elbow, wrist and fingers. Should the developers one day find a way to reduce the clicks when trapping, I'd probably take that up again.