• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why do the simplest UO tasks have to be so time consuming and grindy?

Khayman

Visitor
Professional
I will be complaining so if that is not your thing, you may want to go to the next post. :p

/ranton

I was doing some of the entry quests for places like Stygian Abyss, Twisted Weald, and more specifically Bedlam. The 2nd quest in the Bedlam line has you get 1 unicorn rib, 2 ki-rin brains, and 5 pixie legs. So in 45 minutes I managed to get 1 unicorn rib and 1 pixie leg. I get the fact that they don't want the quest to be over quickly but only 2 items in 45 minutes? Not only is that bad but I am killing blue creatures to get them which is playing havoc with my karma. Why UO? Why???

/rantoff

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I will be complaining so if that is not your thing, you may want to go to the next post. :p

/ranton

I was doing some of the entry quests for places like Stygian Abyss, Twisted Weald, and more specifically Bedlam. The 2nd quest in the Bedlam line has you get 1 unicorn rib, 2 ki-rin brains, and 5 pixie legs. So in 45 minutes I managed to get 1 unicorn rib and 1 pixie leg. I get the fact that they don't want the quest to be over quickly but only 2 items in 45 minutes? Not only is that bad but I am killing blue creatures to get them which is playing havoc with my karma. Why UO? Why???

/rantoff
Simple answer..... As long as you are grinding in UO you aren't playing something else.

Complex Answer.. UO has been running so long that as new generations of developers have come and gone it's acquired people who learned game development theory in a post World of Warcraft's success environment. They are taught that time of engagement in any given task in a game is the primary metric used to determine quality of said engagement. That the content is wholly forgettable, and intended as a one and done for each of your characters is irrelevant as long as you are engaged in UO and not some other game that is on the market.

Khayman

Visitor
Professional
Very true however UO takes it to the extreme. I have grinded for mats in WoW and they have a million and one kill and retrieve some bodypart quests but nothing that takes as long as this has while removing all of your positive Karma. Not to mention, everytime I attack one, I get the criminal pop-up alert since they are all blue. It is overkill...

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Very true however UO takes it to the extreme. I have grinded for mats in WoW and they have a million and one kill and retrieve some bodypart quests but nothing that takes as long as this has while removing all of your positive Karma. Not to mention, everytime I attack one, I get the criminal pop-up alert since they are all blue. It is overkill...
That's the problem when someone sees a successful implementation in action but doesn't understand the "why" of the thing. The UO lead producer sees that grindy works to a degree so they implement it here with a more is better approach. Thus missing the target by 100 meters because they don't understand why it works in other games.