• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Why cant I smelt mobs' ore drops?

N

Nematode

So there I was, hunting the eles in Yomatsu Mines, hauling out 1500 stones worth of ores, only to have them unsmeltable...

I do not have a miner, so I had someone with a GM smith try to smelt the ores at Luna Blacksmith shop. He tried it on both his gargoyle and human GM miner, but to no avail. The error message goes like "you cannot smelt these" ... He did try breaking the ores into smaller piles, no dice there.

Anyone having this same problem?

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll check tonight. I used to hunt ele's all the time but usually not in the mines, so unless something happened in the last patch that they didn't tell us about (but then again we all know that isn't possible).

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It allowed me to smelt the ore that I got from the earth and dull copper elementals that spawn near the entrance of the mine, so not sure what happening with yours unless the person that you gave the ore too had stoned off the mining skill.

N

Nematode

This is truly odd... I killed the DCs near the door, each of whom drop 24 stones of ore, and I also went deeper to the Shadow eles, each of drop 300 stones of ore.

Unless the ores have the anti-griefing codes ala medusa eggs. But this doesnt make sense at all... Ill try the normal elemental and see if I could smelt the normal iron ores.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You need 65 mining to smelt Dull Copper, 70 for Shadow Iron (those start at 50% chance of success). Iron you can smelt at any level, but you have a NEGATIVE chance of success until you hit 25 skill (where it hits 0%, and goes up 0.2% every 0.1 skill)