• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Whu' Happent?

E

Eolix

Ohhh my aching head... where am I? Last thing I remember I was reading one of Flutters postings and WHAM!

What is this place... a bomb shelter? Is there any coffee here? and maybe some Tylenol...

Ah, it's coming back... Magincia... Blackrock detector, and...

Oh No! Say it ain't so!!!

Someone selling STRATICS RUBBLE??? :eek:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Well. It's not my fault!

All my posts are safe!

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's okay. You are safe now. Relaaax...no more changes....well for a few days at least ;)

D

Duke X. Winter

Hehehehe....Flutter has posts that contain WMS. Weapons of Mass Seduction. She seduced the forums into imploding tehe.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a feeling that the overall Stratics forum database -- guessing all forums share a database -- is growing beyond the size of manageable, as it continues to blow up these days. Here's hoping everything gets fixed up, but hopefully it'll get a restructure of some sort to ensure future crashes don't happen.

D

Duke X. Winter

I knew somehow I'd get blamed!
Must've been my nearly 12K post count.
If you wouldn't flirt with the forums, they might not feel the need to implode with lust, now would they?! I think not!

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They did warn you about messing with that blackrock but did you listen? Nooooo

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm thinking of this as our summer place....... kinda like home, just a bit more intimate

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have a feeling that the overall Stratics forum database -- guessing all forums share a database -- is growing beyond the size of manageable, as it continues to blow up these days. Here's hoping everything gets fixed up, but hopefully it'll get a restructure of some sort to ensure future crashes don't happen.
No, it was something as simple as the physical host (which isn't in the hands of Stratics, but instead a contracted thing) deciding "We need to format machine X for a reinstall" then accidentally pulling OUR machine, instead of the one they were supposed to.

In a way, be glad that it takes more than a simple format to wipe data (cause that's what's going on - recovery of data from accidentally reformatted hard drives - turns out the "data backup" contractor wasn't doing their job either).

T

T_Amon_from_work

No, it was something as simple as the physical host (which isn't in the hands of Stratics, but instead a contracted thing) deciding "We need to format machine X for a reinstall" then accidentally pulling OUR machine, instead of the one they were supposed to.

In a way, be glad that it takes more than a simple format to wipe data (cause that's what's going on - recovery of data from accidentally reformatted hard drives - turns out the "data backup" contractor wasn't doing their job either).
A) backup service ... fire them, get another.
B) folks who pointed things to the wrong server/database instance ... remove them from hands-on work until they have been re-educated.

What I **really** wanna say isn't for for even Stratics OT. But I do have the T-shirt with B T D T emblazoned on the front. It only took one session of re-education for myself and one other to learn from our error. ;)

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no excuse for not ensuring the integrity of backups at regular intervals, and even performing practice runs of restoring from backups every now and again. It's negligence at the very basic level, pure and simple.

The technical competence or training of any party here, be it third parties or Stratics administrators, doesn't appear too high. This really is fundamental stuff, as any IT professional will tell you.

Something as simple and straightforward as this certainly shouldn't be taking a company operating their business through the web this length of time to sort out; nor would it if the necessary safeguards and checks were in place from the start.

G

Gallahan

The servers being wiped was an accident. A really bad accident and sort of unprecedented for a third party co-lo facility, but an accident.

The backups are more a case of fraud/gross negligence (and something we're treating as such).

The data recovery will take as long as the recovery firm takes :p Very little we can do to affect the speed of that.

J

Joyous2K

I don't know where to click, I don't know what to write about!! OMG! This interface isn't modern at all! OMG OMG. I will quit this place if it isn't the way it used to be, and give me back all my posts!

Owner of Stratics should sue and donate damages to UO team.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Joyous2K,

I don't know where to click, I don't know what to write about!! OMG! This interface isn't modern at all! OMG OMG. I will quit this place if it isn't the way it used to be, and give me back all my posts!
vB is -WAY- more modern than UBB. The interface is a little different, but most forums all pretty much work the same way. And usually have similar features. The differences being what the features are labeled or named, and where they are located.

It may take a little getting used to, but it's not hard. You'll get the hang of it. :)

Z

Zodiac19

Hi Joyous2K,

vB is -WAY- more modern than UBB. The interface is a little different, but most forums all pretty much work the same way. And usually have similar features. The differences being what the features are labeled or named, and where they are located.

It may take a little getting used to, but it's not hard. You'll get the hang of it. :)

This might be more modern than UBB in the coding but looks and feels antiseptic. I would be very disappointed to see Stratics move on a permanent basis. There is just no feel:(

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Dear gods... I hope they're offering you folks a TON of money for the inconveniences that this is causing you. I'd be up in arms and down town with a ton of torches and pitch forks if my server host did anything remotely like that to me. hehe