• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Whoa.. when did this garbage start? Tax?

D

DeathByMe

UO now costs $14 a month to play? Sorry to make a whole thread on this, but when did this crap happen? I'm still not over them raising the rates to $12.99/month..

G

Be glad you're not in the UK, we get charged way more than that *mumbles*

I think the cheapest we can get on a 6 month sub is £9.33/month. About $18.72 or so in USD

Wenchy

D

DeathByMe

^^ I love UO more than any game I've ever played, but I'd draw the line at $15/month. Ea doesn't care about this game enough to pay them any more than that.

M

midiguru

After reading this I was concerned enough to go check on both of my accounts at uo.com. When I logged in both of them still quoted a $12.99 per month fee. I'm not sure where you got this info but if your playing in the USA it should still be $12.99 a month at least it still is for me. Best of luck!

G

It's not EA applying the tax that would be your friendly state government. Some states have started applying taxes to online transactions.

M

MysticSim

yeah, EA in THEIR wisdom decided to P.O. the player base by saying that "your state/province/country is charging tax on all kinds of things, and now we are going to pass this tax on to you suckers".

If someone from EA/Mythic would come and answer either here or in the other thread that was started already (which will not happen) as to why they are 1) charging the tax that other games are not 2)why they are charging the wrong amount of tax even if it is correct that the tax is supposed to be charged at all then maybe we will have an official answer to why our 12.99 fee is now suddenly 14+ dollars a month.

so in short, they wont answer.

U

uo addict

There should only be sales tax in States where a) EA has a physical presence (to give the State jurisdiction) and b) the State charges sales tax on services (VA, for example, taxes goods but not services). I believe this accounts for the different reports from different people.

I

imported_Coppelia

I pay €67.99 for 6 months, ie $107.22.
That's $17.87/month. Let's remove my VAT. It gives $14.94.
Now you can add your own taxes to see what you should pay to be fair.

Nice promotional offer to pay for 6 months, heh?

But when it comes to be fair, EA becomes deaf.

There's two solutions :
- EA regularily adjust fees to the market. Not everyday, but regularily.
- EA is too lazy to check the currency market and let it be done automatically. Bill me in US dollars.

G

Hail: I had just reactivated an old account, and got this message.
UO Per Month charge, $12.99
Nevada tax, $0

Move here to Vegas, and use that $2 savings in the slot machine. hehehe, Weeee

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The internet taxes don't work that way. I'm in California and there is no Internet Tax, so I don't pay one for UO. For anyone that is currently paying tax for the UO service, go complain to your state representative who passed the bill.

I can see paying a tax for goods, but paying a tax for a service? That's not right.

But then you have to look at your Cell phone bill. My bill is supposed to be $149.99 per month for 2 lines and 3,000 anytime minutes. By the time they add in all the taxes and fees (plus text messages), my bill comes out to $218 per month. They always get you on the taxes and fees....

B

BadManiac

Go buy an airplane ticket from some low cost airluine like RyanAir then... Ticket costs £0.99, add taxes and it's £120.

G

According to EA my state charges a tax, but so far I'm not being billed for it. My phone bill is bad enough with the fees and taxes.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

It's not EA applying the tax that would be your friendly state government. Some states have started applying taxes to online transactions.

[/ QUOTE ]See the other thread linked in this thread, but yes, it is EA actually applying the tax. In many states, yeah, the tax is due, but most states leave the payment of that tax up to their residents. EA is collecting it, which is fine, but if EA is OVER collecting it, that is NOT fine.

Trouble is, if it's anything like Illinois, it becomes your burden to get EA to do something about it, because the state won't do anything at all.

I will say though that so far, the processes I've been through, EA IS actually looking into it. I'll definitely post more in the other thread when there's more to tell.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are quoted your subscription price. Once you put in billing info is when you get the X amount tacted on for taxes. I thought the same thing till I got the tax slam.

I

imported_AustinRules

In the state of Texas it would be taxed as an entertainment service. It would be the state sales tax plus whatever applicable local sales tax (city, mta, rhd,etc) collected where the service is being used. Usually amounting to 8.25%.

EA's attorneys probably told them that a state tax auditor might show up on their doorstep someday and conduct an audit covering the last four years. After adding all the Texas addresses he would bill EA for the tax they were "supposed to collect". Now they have this huge sales tax bill to pay and it is too late to bill us, many of whom have moved on. So in the future EA will collect sales tax from us. And with computers it is easy to seperate out each state's share that collect interstate sales tax, five states don't have or collect sales taxes. If EA was to 'steal' some of this tax money there would be heavy penalties when the state comes to audit and catches the thievery.

EA is big enough they have probably already been contacted by many states and don't have any other recourse. Interstate service businesses have lost several lawsuits over whether governments can force them to collect a state's sales tax if their headquarters are out of state. And one last point...the official name for this tax is a "sales and use tax" though everyone just says sales tax. We are USING a a service, thus taxable.