• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Whoa... what happened?

D

DeathByMe

I just reactivated today after being gone for a few months (6ish?). I see someone sitting at brit bank trying to sell a blessed HOM for 5mil and no takers. When I left, it was easily 20-22. I understand things lower in price but this is crazy. Did something drastic happen? I'm worried, because I'm looking at my suit that I spent nearly 140mil building and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth less than 20 now.

G

EAMythic changed how arties drop in doom.

So yes you "lost" value on your suit. But were you planning on the complete suit?

If not, then you only lost the percieved value.

G

The Dev have been working hard the past few months on ways to ruin the game more then what AoS had... Oh, and they have changed the game's name from Ultima Online to Stealth Archer Tamers Online. Anyone for super dragons PvP?

G

The only thing unbalanced about a tamed Great Wyrm is that the high hitpoint ones can knock 2/3 of a player's health down with a Firebreath. They don't do nearly as much damage as a Rune Beetle+Bake Kitsune Combo (Or any other 2+3 Pet Slot Combo), they don't have near as high Burst Damage, they move alot slower than a Rune Beetle+Bake Kitsune (SE creatures move faster and cast faster than any other creatures, besides Paragons and Blackrock Infected), you can still easily outrun a Great Wyrm when on foot. The only thing a Great Wyrm has going for it in PvP is it's toughness. Only use i can see for them is to cause some chaos and havoc at a Wither Chokepoint.

What's far more dangerous than a Great Wyrm is the Rune Beetle's Armor Corrupt halving your Resists (Which was already hit with the "Nerf Stick" once, used to completely remove all your Resist), their' DP, their Bleed Attack, there fast casting with high Eval/Magery, while you have a Bake Kitsune casting on you and doing it's Rage, so you can never get a spell off.

G

strange, I thought they were doing just the opposite, making the stuff easier to come by so that it was easier to level the playing field and minimise the impact of items.

All a question of interpretation I guess.

E

eolsunder1

Yes thats exactly whats happening, they are immersing the game in the items so that it evens the playing field a bit. First lots of cursed arties, now doom has item easy to get and prices dropping fast. With new runic changes, easier to get higher end metal armor so in a few months will be a flood of high end weapons and metal armor about. When you have a dull copper hammer making 2 mana regen 135+ luck items, you will soon have a nice basic suit for new players.

There is one problem with this. If you reduce the game so that everyone is equal, working many years for certain higher end items is worthless because everyone can get them easy. Already selling doom arties cheap to guild mates. 1 mil for a Totem. Voice of fallen king dropped today. well already have 2, anyone want this one? icky arties drop, just drop them on the ground in doom and continue on.

Sadly the Dev team has jumped in the "More in less time" mentality that many games fall into. You ignore the vet players and the goal is to get as many people playing as possible in the short amount of time, the minority vet players.. sucks to be you. This usually happens when subscriptions are low and working with the long time supporters o the game isn't profitable much compared to many newer subscriptions.

The trouble is, they aren't getting in new players. They have no advertising, nothing in the stores. Nothing. So, you are tailoring the game for the newer players, yet you aren't getting in the newer players. Hate to tell you.. Its the VET players that have made the game. But thats typical boss mentality. The big wigs have no idea how a game works.

B

Babble

Actually I think this is a normal cycle for itembased games.
Old items get made redundant by newer ones, else players have nothing new to hunt for (example wow and their expansions)

Other possibility would be wear and tear system where even vets will have to hunt some of their items again.

G

Remember Bracelet of Health? Outside of Luna on LA it used to go for 3-6mil. I got one 2 weeks ago for 450K. <shrug> Things are wierd.

G

Yea see not everyone starts the game with 100 million gold to get a OK arti suit going, so the devs simply made the items easier to get and cheaper.. OMG what a terrible thing. I personally appreciate the change.

U

uo addict

They are chasing their tail. Better items are introduced as loot, and the crafters complain they can't sell anything. So crafter properties are increased, then hunters complain it isn't worth hunting because they can get better stuff from crafters. There is no end in sight.

To those who complained that newbies can't compete though, I think part of the fun of any good game is starting off with very little and building up your skills and equipment. That's why there is a whole variety of monsters and dungeon levels. You don't need an uber sword to kill a mongbat or a rat, which is where most of us started.

G

personally I'd like some kind of divide.

most items, as now, either loot or crafted. But some items/properties that can only be on looted items and some items/properties that have to be gotten from a crafter.

Create a reason for both, so they're not in constant competition. But that's just my view on it.

I'd like to see a return to slayers being found on opposite groups too, but I don't think that's possible with the current loot system.

U

uo addict

I like the idea that it should take both a hunter and a craftsman to assemble the best suit. Enhancement was probably aimed at this goal.

I suppose we do have a kind of divide now, with most decent jewelry only found as loot.

G

I like the Doom Changes, now we're no longer faced with having to spend months in Doom just to get a Bone Crusher or pay through the nose for a Arty. Has you're suit become any less useful than it was before the Doom change? No, it's still a high end suit. Has it become worth not as much? Yes.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I also think the changes are good. I am a veteran player (5+ years). I left the game and came back and basically started all over again two years ago. I my first major Doom arty, a totem for my archer, a few weeks before the changes to Doom. The really good arties are still hard to get, just not virtually impossible as they were before.

You shouldn't have to be a ten year vet, or buying hundreds of millions in gold from brokers, or a 24/7 scripter, to be able to be competitive in pvp, which was the way it seemed it was before. The game is still plenty challenging, just not virtually impossible in some areas the way it used to be.

G

I for one am very happy with the changes.I played from the beginning to AoS and left for another game.I came back about 6 months ago and love what I came back to.I don`t care what you peaple say that can afford the hundreds of millions to buy whatever pixel is sacred at the time.I don`t play the game to be an arty nazi,or a gold *****. I play for the fun of it and I don`t think players with like minds want to look at said pixel crack and think....someday.

As to any lazy arse comments,well I have a life and also a JOB. I don`t come to this game to be left out simply because I have RL things that are far more important.Everyone whinning about expensive gettin cheaper can just take a walk and get over it.Devs are doing a great job in equaling the playing field for us "lazy arses" that actually have a life outside of the game.

I figure if you can afford the millions and millions for whatever pixel crack is fotm......you need to get a life,step outside,look atthe trees and sun.Cause obviously you have waaay to much time on your hands.

Great job devs,got me to come back along with 3 rl friends. Keep up the good work.

G

Yep, we have all lost a major amount of value with our suits. No biggie, it's just pixel gold.

G

<blockquote><hr>

strange, I thought they were doing just the opposite, making the stuff easier to come by so that it was easier to level the playing field and minimise the impact of items.

All a question of interpretation I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im with you. They are rectifying a horrible direction of the game.

I

imported_onthefifty

well ya as far as your ''investment'' goes, you took it right in the shorts. :/

Brightside is that with lower prices comes more people that can make a suit like yours and compete with/against you. more people = more griefing, ganking, skipping across screens, you know... more fun.

just kidding a bit with the above. i can see your side of things. you feel ripped because all your hard effort seems wasted as some of the items you sweated for are much more easily obtained today. however keeping things in perspective think back to the sense of acheivement and accomplishment you felt as you obtained those items.

im a nine month player. i have fully worked up 5 of my seven character slots skill wise, exception being the tamer who is 101 on his way to 120. i'm still however working on much of their gear and powerscrolls to get them totally tourqed out. so i guess im now experiencing what you did long ago. its a good feeling when you add a piece of jewelry/armor/scroll to a character that makes him stronger. as well as learning how to use him in an efficient manner.

suppose some day i'll feel same as you. Hopefully the dev's will continue adding content and fresh challenges that bring satisfaction to both the new and vet player.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They have no advertising, nothing in the stores
-------------------------------------------------
guess why......the graphics are a joke.(duh)

I'm a vet, and items should not sell for millions. I'm glad they're pissin players off, help get rid of the membranes that cry, script and whine 24/7.

I

imported_revenant2

I came back from a long break in the game January a year ago. About 6 months after I started back, I spent some cash to buy a 20 mill jackals collar and an 18 mill set of uncursed bracers. At the time, I thought to myself that this is sad, how UO has become a game where private, 3rd party individuals make their profit off of item availability imbalances (it was necessary to buy gold for those purchases). I thought to myself, whoever runs UO is kinda being used.

So now they are working on fixing all of that. With the Doom artie availability corrected, I look back and I know that I spent some cash on things that now have nowhere near that original value. But on the flip side, with the problem corrected, I can now go out and buy a Hat of the Magi if I want, or I can take my sammy dexer to Doom and get arties of my own to sell to get the gold for that hat.

In this case, I feel that the long-time existence of a broken system would not have been a good reason to hold off on fixing it. I'm glad that they did this and are moving to straighten out the UO economy. One should not have ever had to buy gold to buy the stuff needed to be competitive in UO, but they can only fix the present and future.

MaxTDR

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I buy the whole "equal the playing field" argument...the only problem I've noticed is the mentality of the game. This flood of items, etc. has given the people who just look for ways to cheat (and not work to get high end stuff) the ability to buy some gold online, go buy a cheap suit and uber wep, and then RACE around pvping. That leaves those us of who grew to respect the game and refuse to cheat to deal with these types. I guess it's a mentality thing, I dunno.

D

DeathByMe

So basically (and if I'm wrong, please correct me)... the devs made this game easier for the lazy?

I'm sick of all this 'leveling the playing field' crap. It's not black and white - some are rich, some are poor. If you watn something, work for it. I can't even begin to imagine how many hours I spent, doing tailoring and smithing BODS, making money and looking all over for items. I spent well in excess of 100m on my suit, now it's probably 20 mil. No, I wasn't planning on selling it now, but a lot of fun in this game for me was the buy and sell game.

There was no need for this. Anyone could acquire these items if they wanted to. People keep acting like these items were unnatainable to them. I work a 55 hour a week job and have an active life outside of work and this game. I played a few hours later at night when I had the time, a few hours on the weekend. It took me 6 years to attain what I had, now it sounds like you can get this in a few weeks. Now I'm asking myself "what's the point?". Everything I've ever worked for in this game has eventually been dumbed down after doing it. Put something out and stick with it - I'm sick of this "release something now, create a want for it, and then nerf it to nothing so that the masses can have it".

G

So you're complaining because other players can compete with you without spending hundreds of millions of GPs? Darn those pesky kids who can get on the ladder and try PvP without spending a fortune and many years to do so. How dare the devs make PvP open to all players again.

I'm very glad the devs don't share your view. How we ever got to the point where a suit of armour could cost vastly more than owning a castle, escapes me. It's a sign of quite how screwed up the UO economy got that people paid such stupid GP for armour parts.

Yes, you achieved a lot in your time in UO. But we all carry around our own personal achievements that other players may not notice. You decide what things are worth to you, then if they drop in price, well they still hold value to you as a player.

Wenchy

B

Balek[Cats]

I haven't been in this game for nearly 8 months now. And I'm thinking about coming back to see what it's like. I've spent these 8 months playing WoW, I have two 70's, a gnome mage, and an undead warrior. Dunno if it's worth it since I left my UO account with nearly 150m and 3 full PvP suits. Since I left I've got a pretty epic computer and probably wouldn't have latency difficulty.

But, back to the topic. From what I'm seeing, the whole level out the playing field thing, it all works out for the best in the end... I mean, if you think that the 140m+ that you put into your suit back a couple months ago is wasted, then you really never played UO. Because half the [censored] you do in this game is wasted... You just gotta learn how to suck it up.

D

davebobbit

<blockquote><hr>

So basically (and if I'm wrong, please correct me)... the devs made this game easier for the lazy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am correcting you... you are wrong

I would not call it lazy to not want to work for a year to be able to afford a competitive pvp suit. This is a game after all...

G

I think this change can attract a good few people into PvP who gave up on the earn squillions treadmill. I'm seriously considering a return to PvP now, it's much more affordable

Wenchy

D

DeathByMe

<blockquote><hr>

So you're complaining because other players can compete with you without spending hundreds of millions of GPs? Darn those pesky kids who can get on the ladder and try PvP without spending a fortune and many years to do so. How dare the devs make PvP open to all players again.

I'm very glad the devs don't share your view. How we ever got to the point where a suit of armour could cost vastly more than owning a castle, escapes me. It's a sign of quite how screwed up the UO economy got that people paid such stupid GP for armour parts.

Yes, you achieved a lot in your time in UO. But we all carry around our own personal achievements that other players may not notice. You decide what things are worth to you, then if they drop in price, well they still hold value to you as a player.

Wenchy

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but this is just the mindset of another player. People like you act as if players like I had some unattainable way of getting these items. Why does it make me look bad because I want others to have to jump through the same hurdles I did?

No, I'm not mad others can have what I have. I'm mad that i either spent 20 mil on a hat of the magi or spent months in doom trying to get one, and now others can get them for under 4 mil. There was nothing wrong with the system - it just took WORK to get things, which people just are too lazy to do now. Remember when it took months to GM a skill? Now it takes less than a day? Yeah.. the game used to be ten times the game it is today. It's these exact changes that ruin it more and more everyday.

G

You're misunderstanding me there. It's more a case of why do that amount of trading just to TRY PvP in a basic suit? Getting on the equipment treadmill just got in the way of having fun fighting people. I wouldn't have minded if there were other players in very basic suits trying to fight the super equiped PvPers, but that was only the case to begin with.

I don't value a suit of armour at 50mil as anything less than silly. Over 100mil for me is crazy. It's not unattainable at all, it's just a stupid obstacle blocking players from what used to be a fun playstyle.

I do share your frustration at the devaluation of work and effort in UO. I don't tend to macro skills etc so I see folks parked with golems or satyrs and shake my head. It shouldn't be that easy. I understand you've lost gold in the equipment race, lots of players are in the same boat. I didn't lose gold but I sure lost a lot of friends when PvP got messed up. I think the only winners are the folks who worked Doom and sold all the arties they pulled.

Wenchy

I

imported_Farsight

<blockquote><hr>

No, I'm not mad others can have what I have. I'm mad that i either spent 20 mil on a hat of the magi or spent months in doom trying to get one, and now others can get them for under 4 mil. There was nothing wrong with the system - it just took WORK to get things, which people just are too lazy to do now. Remember when it took months to GM a skill? Now it takes less than a day? Yeah.. the game used to be ten times the game it is today. It's these exact changes that ruin it more and more everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's that whole WORK thing that turns off most clients of a game. If I had to work another 9 months to make a new tailor, I wouldn't have come back to the game at all. Gaming isn't supposed to be about work, and I swore never to use UO as a job again. The second anything turns into actual work, I do something else or find an easier way to do the task, and that includes building a decent suit of armor.

I assure you, I'm proud of my work that I did earlier in my UO life, but that character, which hasn't seen the light of day in about 6 years, isn't what keeps me in the game. On that note, I think it's good that more rewards are available to the casual player, and I hope that they balance everything out by making something better available to the serious player.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

<blockquote><hr>

The only thing unbalanced about a tamed Great Wyrm is that the high hitpoint ones can knock 2/3 of a player's health down with a Firebreath. They don't do nearly as much damage as a Rune Beetle+Bake Kitsune Combo (Or any other 2+3 Pet Slot Combo), they don't have near as high Burst Damage, they move alot slower than a Rune Beetle+Bake Kitsune (SE creatures move faster and cast faster than any other creatures, besides Paragons and Blackrock Infected), you can still easily outrun a Great Wyrm when on foot. The only thing a Great Wyrm has going for it in PvP is it's toughness. Only use i can see for them is to cause some chaos and havoc at a Wither Chokepoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like teh changes they made to doom drop's, i have plenty of gold but refuse to pay such high prices as people where asking.
also camping doom for months without getting a drop was EXTREAMLY frustraitng to MANY players, alot quit because of how doom drop's where.

and where are you seeing Great Wyrm's?
there are shadow wyrms, ancient wyrms and white wyrms last i knew.
then there are the DRAGON group..
perhaps you ment GREATER DRAGON ???

M

Meldurh

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont pvp,and as a 9 year vet I am not pleased seeing all the work and effort
I put in the game to be rendered valueless.
Well,canceled my account anyway some months ago because of KR and I
once again was tired of seeing the champs being dominated by pvp'ers.