• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Who wants to be able to hold an instrument?

• Thread starter Grace of Pacific
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
G

Grace of Pacific

Would like to see one handed: tambourine (you can shake or tap on leg) flute (just need one hand) and two handed (lute, harp) not sure where the drum would fit in but would be GREAT if you could harness one around your back and either use one stick or two on it!

The visual on the paperdoll would be great! Nice of course to have some mods on it since many bards also hold a wep or a magebook, but honestly, I would give that up just to actually hold an instrument!

Thoughts?

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like this idea! I think that would add some great variety, especially since we have alot of neat instruments to show off.

D

dielock

I dont, unless it was an option. I need to hold my magery books and a shield. An instrument would have to be 2 handed. I like it just the way it is.

D

dielock

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

K

Kyle

add some mods like reagular one handed items and Yeah!!!! Great Idea! even without tho i might still hold one

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Anything for bards that isn't something we can already do would be nice. There have been many ideas over the last 8 years (including this one) suggested multiple times, some good some bad. Ranging from full bardic spellbooks (songbooks) with various effects to holding an instrument and even groups of bards having a stronger effect or additional abilities.

Sadly I think they are unable to come up with anything, the samurai empire expansion said a lot about their idea of 'balance'. 5 new pets, 1 new instrument, the new instrument plays a different tune but makes no difference on what we could already do.

So I'm all for them adding pretty much anything new for bards I just don't have any expectations that they ever will.

G

Grace of Pacific

I dont, unless it was an option. I need to hold my magery books and a shield. An instrument would have to be 2 handed. I like it just the way it is.

Of course it would be an option just like you don't HAVE to equip a spellbook to use the spells, but if you don't you don't get the mods on the spellbook. Thus, you would not HAVE to equip the instrument to use it. And you could equip your sword and shield. Although how you can do that and play an instrument is beyond me. But if you are just a "singing bard" than ok! :thumbup1:

Would add variety, and if the instrument had mods or not, I would be willing to sacrifice it at times for my spellbook. Other times, likely not if it had no mods, depends.

But I think that obvious one-handed instruments should have lower/less mods than a two handed one. Myself, I am a drinker ok? So a free hand is a given hehe. :pint:

Suffice to say, mods could come later, or not, just like they came later with Spellbooks. I just want the choice to equip my instrument. Thank you.

F

Fink

I still want my craftable amplifier! :drool:

I guess equipable instruments would be kind of cool, as an option, but I'm wondering would the slayer property be one of those that only works when you're holding it? I quite like being able to switch by double-clicking something in my pack. Also my bard/T-hunter really needs that book for his cramped template.

---

I do think it would be kind of funny seeing my avatar auto-defend and beat someone with a lute.. :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would love to be able to hold an instrument. I have wanted to for ages. I think that you should be able to hold it and play special tunes on it if your holding it... RP wise holding the instrument would be WAY cool.... certainly would help when your playing a bard to actually have a visible instrument...

I could probably come up with a dozen or so ideas that one could impliment for the bonus's of holding an instrument as opposed to just having it in your bag but having it on your person and adding properties would be awesome.... not only would it benifit the bard but it certainly would go a long way to benifiting the crafter as well... Would be nice to be able to add runic made instruments to your list of craftables.... plus if you can make them runic it might also be nice to add properties to "enhancing" instuments with the special woods..... spell chanelling, luck, all sorts of neat things could be added to the properties....

G

Grace of Pacific

Let's not scare everyone with mods yet ok? I mean, I just want to hold my instrument in my paperdoll!

spoonfulls, little spoonfulls........ :thumbup:

some stuff later on down the road would be nice, but for now lets not get the non-entertainers scared!!

btw, the spell channeling mod should not even be a thought!!!!

Just a mod or two to make it a choice to not carry a spellbook or wep and be a true bard via paperdoll would be nice! Same as mage book, you equip one with +10 magery, you get the bonus, you don't equip it, well it still works for the intended purpose, just no bonus! Everyone happy!

But lets concentrate on being able to equip the instrument for now, you with me?

Cheers!

edit: Ok the slayer propery question, someone just had to pee on my parade eh? hehe

ermm, the devs get paid for figuring that out, so mote it be!!!!

D

dielock

What scares me is this. I have to hold my slayer spell books in order to use it's powers. I am just a regular mage with it sitting in my pack. If I am forced to hold my instrument in order to use it, then I am screwed for using my books to their full potential. I would only agree to this if we could use the instrument while still in the pack (as it is now) and/or hold it. Of course if the instrument had attributes attached to it, then those special powers could not be in effect while it is in the pack. But the music would still work as it does currently.
What really scares me is if the devs. take this proposal seriously that they would not get it right and screw things up for Bards and Bard Mages.

C

Coppelia

Would like to see one handed: tambourine (you can shake or tap on leg) flute (just need one hand) and two handed (lute, harp) not sure where the drum would fit in but would be GREAT if you could harness one around your back and either use one stick or two on it!

The visual on the paperdoll would be great! Nice of course to have some mods on it since many bards also hold a wep or a magebook, but honestly, I would give that up just to actually hold an instrument!

Thoughts?
me me me me me me me me! :thumbup1:

G

Grace of Pacific

"I would only agree to this if we could use the instrument while still in the pack (as it is now) and/or hold it. Of course if the instrument had attributes attached to it, then those special powers could not be in effect while it is in the pack. But the music would still work as it does currently."

Yes Dielock, that should be how it would work. Just like a spellbook works right now. Again, I am not even asking for attributes. Carry your spellbook all you want if not having the attributes on it would not work out for your playstyle.

Don't be scared!

Just think, what if the attributes on an instrument would fit you better than the spellbook?

I carry the Scrapper's and that is all. As a bard the SDI to me does not matter too much, the fc/fcr can be replaced with jewels and the lmc would not hurt me not to have. All this is nice, but would sure give it up for a tambourine that I could hold :thumbup1:

T

Trebr Drab

I'd like to hold a battle of ale and drink from it. *hic*

Anything like this is cool. There's all kinds of things just to play around in the game that makes it more fun. UO started out as a "worldly" game, and it's the thing I like about it. Build "worlds"!

T

Trebr Drab

I'd also be great if Bards could add to spell caster damage or speed, HCI for fighters, increase regen rates, etc. Make Bards real Bards.

G

Grace of Pacific

I'd also be great if Bards could add to spell caster damage or speed, HCI for fighters, increase regen rates, etc. Make Bards real Bards.
I agree. Since instruments break then having mods like +5 provo would not be so hot since it would be temporary. But having mods like +2 mana regen, etc, to all fighters within so many squares would be awesome!

Then the mages who want to hold their book can do so, but if they are playing with a group of people they might very well Want to hold their instrument!

V

Veganite

I want to hold one of those contraptions where I'm a one man band with a Harmonica hung from my head, a drum on my chest, symbols on my knees, tamborines in hand, etc, etc. Then I could peace, provo and discord all at once.:lol:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Agreed. Never understood why we can hold smith hammers, but not carpentry hammers. :confused:
I always wanted to know why my miner couldn't hold his shovel.... but he can a pickaxe...... seems strange to me.

J

Joyous2K

Who wants to be able to hold an instrument?
I do, but I played too much UO and my wrists are now permanently debilitated by the CTS.

On a side... yes, if my guy can hold an instrument, that would be a small acknowledgment to my ruined potential as a professional organist.

On a further side... add organs and make them playable to varying degrees based on skill and have players organ tunes able to be saved and traded (as "a scoresheet"), but not copied, for homes.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't wait to see a bunch of flute wielding guy roleplayers in skara brae...

M

Makadopest

I to like this idea. Whould act like a spell book dont get the mods less its in hand sounds good do it just do it

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes! I'd love to be able to actually hold tools, especially my rolling pin and frying pan. :thumbup:

-Skylark
What would be even better is if we could then beat on people with a rolling pin or frying pan!!! They could be considered mace weapons right, bc they are blunt?? :thumbup::thumbup:

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont want to hold a instument Just give us bag pipes