• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Who is Gwenno?

• Thread starter RustyShacklford
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
R

RustyShacklford

At Pormir Harm in Ileshnar, (lich lord spawn near honor) there is a memorial to someone named Gwenno, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about her? I urge you to check it out as it looks very nice. If I knew how I would post some screenshots in the forums.

R

rofler

Gwenno was the wife of the famous bowcrafter and Bard Iolo. They are characters from the original Ultima series fiction.

Here is a link to a RP site called Tales of the Traveller that lists all the people of note in Ultima fiction, and a little bit about them, as well as other resources and history for the RP minded:

Tales of the Traveller

J

Jarno

Gwenno was one of the main characters you could have in your party
in the old, single player-Ultimas. Like Ultima V for example.

I

imported_Grayshadow

Thanks for the info on that one. I wondered myself who Gwenno was - her memorial/gravesite is pretty nice. Interesting place for liches and lords to spawn around, though....

A

Azrile

The above two posts are true, but she (and all the orginal Ultima characters) were based off of real people. The lady who Gwenno was in real life died a few years ago.

U

Uthor

Gwenno also wrote the music title Stones.
Next time you Visit that shrine turn on your music and you will hear it.
It was said in ultima 9 that stones was the favorite song of Lord British.

T

the REAL dupre

Stones is the polyphonic ringtone on my mobile phone /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

E

Eram

<blockquote><hr>

Gwenno was one of the main characters you could have in your party
in the old, single player-Ultimas. Like Ultima V for example.

<hr></blockquote>

No, not in your party, and not in Ultima V. As others pointed out, she
was Iolo's devoted wife, but she wasn't a member of your party. I can't
recall if she actually shows up as a character in V or VI. But in Ultima VII,
Part 1, The Black Gate, she is definitely mentioned as having gone off
elsewhere, though she is not a part of the game fiction itself (which
involved that evil Fellowship and the appearance of the Guardian). In
Ultima VII, Part 2, Gwenno is in the new land (not Britannia) you are
exploring, and one of the side quests involves tracking her down for Iolo
and releasing her from a block of ice. Gwenno also makes a cameo appearance
in Ultima IX, where she is found living in Iolo's hut and has a few words to say.
If I recall, Ultima IX also had a decorated gravesite dedicated to the actual
woman who inspired the Gwenno character.

J

Jarno

You're wrong. In party and in Ultima V for example, like I said.
Proof is here:

Took the screenshot just 2 minutes ago.
The game is Ultima V :p

G

<blockquote><hr>

I can't
recall if she actually shows up as a character in V or VI.

<hr></blockquote>
Her first appearance that I know for sure is in Ultima IV. There she is sitting next to Iolo in Britain, but she doesnt join the Party. As seen in a previous post she is available in party on Ultima V. In Ultima VI ye find her in minoc, where she can join ye as well. In Ultima VII- Part One, she is not there, but leaves Iolo a note where she is.. Ultima VII-Part Two, is at this place but ye have to find her.
Ultima VIII lacks all known NPCs and Ultima IX shows Gwenno in Iolo's house.. Not sure if there is a gravesite dedicated to the "original".
Kathleen Jones (in many websites she is named Kathleen Watson), the person who is the "original" Gwenno was a RL friend of Richard "Lord British" Garriott. She wrote the Lyrics to Stone, while David Watson wrote the music. He is the "original" for Iolo.
Kathleen Jones passed way November 2000, died on cancer.

G

Every time i hear the tune 'stones' it reminds me of being new and why i started playing UO &amp; I thank Kathleen for that. God love her and may she rest in peace.

T

tanyuh

*SIGH* "Who is Gwenno?" we need more ultima in ultima online.

R

RustyShacklford

Tanyuh I agree. Whichever installment it was that was titled The Quest of the Avatar is the reason I decided to check out UO.

Also, thanks for the info guys.

F

Fawne Goldynhart

My husband and I met here in UO, Chesapeake. When I heard the story of Gwenno, her immortal contribution to our world, and her impending death, I fell in love with a person I had never met nor would ever have the honor of meeting. It breaks my heart that someone who could create such a beautiful song, who could steal your heart away with mere words, could be taken from us so tragically.

May 1st, 2004, Govannon Mac Lyr and I were married. We didnt have the traditional Wedding March. Gov's sister, who is a music instructor, opera singer and pianist learned in one night " Stones".

It was to this beautiful and heart swelling music that I walked down the aisle.

It was our tribute to "Gwenno" and "Iolo" (Kathleen and David) and a thank you for the gift they have left for all of us.

Kathleen will always be in our hearts.

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"*SIGH* "Who is Gwenno?" we need more ultima in ultima online."

Exactly what I thought as soon as I read the thread... no offense to anyone. I think it's high time Ultima Online went back to it's roots. I'd love to see localizations come back, and I'd also like to see known characters from previous Ultimas as static NPCs... I'm one of those that was attracted to UO because of the Ultima series.

... and leave it to Sir Robert and his encyclopedic knowledge of Ultima Lore to straighten everyone out. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

A

An_Old_Ranger

*would, if he was such a person, use this as a shamless plug to the thread he started about thirsting for guilds living in Ultima Lore*

G

I will always love the UO:R version of it

*sniff sniff*

damn ...good song

K

Kaeros

I wish I could use that as a ringtone on mine, but it doesn't have a ringtone composer

T

Thorwan

I can´t believe it - somebody linked to my site exactly the day I updated it for the first time after two years /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks *bows*

edit: Doh, need a new sig...

S

Savant2k

It's the stuff that bats poop out. j/k She's Iolo's wife. She played a more prominant role in the single player Ultima series.

W

Wizardice

*SIGH* "Who is Gwenno?" we need more ultima in ultima online.

----------------------

Amen to that!

-Wizardice.

G

Garrison Darker

Thanks for that link /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif