• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Which rares you dislike the most?

nallez

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I at least, hate some rares which don't fit into the game (or you just think they are plain ugly!) in my opinion and I bet there are those who don't like some too!

Boots of the phoenix
- Ruined a totally nice armor set with a next to impossible-obtainable part for it... GJ!

Blaze cu-sidhe
- I think these can be considered as rares and are just so butt ugly they hurt my eyes every time I see one.

Hubcap of an earth vehicle known as 1979 Delorean
- I mean REALLY?! It's breaks the whole timeline, space-continuum, world & fantasy-genre this game is in!

What about you guys? anyone have any rares they don't like?

Last edited:

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I find any event item or server birth that makes reference to or depicts defecating particularly offensive. PeePee Poopy Pixels are GROSS! YUCK!

Horse Dung
Titan TP
Hardened Desert Mongbat Dung
yellow colored Pile of Snow
Soggy Britches Of A Scared Person

Last edited:

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't really 'hate' any rare as everyone likes different things. Just because I don't collect it doesn't mean someone else doesn't adore it. I try to respect that.

That being said... what I probably never will collect for the most part because it doesn't fit rp...

Anything with a shard name on it.
Anything with a RL year or date on it.
Anything with a name that isn't sentimental or supports some rp/lore. EX: An axe made by CraZyM04o [Exceptional]
Anything with an EM's name on it or the name of an NPC character who my characters do not know in rp. The exception to this is Mesanna, but most of those items are in storage and not on display. I view her as a deity in rp, much like we used to do with seers/gms a long time ago.
Anything that breaks the lore of the game such as items that say anniversary or celebrating UO.
Not too fond of holiday items with Easter, Christmas, etc simply because those holidays to me don't exist in-game. If EA wants to give gifts around that time, than give UO it's own holiday for gift giving.

That being said, I do have items that break these conditions... like my PTC guildstone, some of my roses, etc. For the most part, most of my collection falls into the rules above.
I do have a few that 'push' the envelope by making RL references, but that I feel can be accepted in UO such as Single Malt Whiskey and Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.

Angel Dust

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, you could sell that single malt whiskey to me and not have to worry about it ;)

Caveat Emptor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Holiday Decoration contest winner reindeer.
They are cool but the Contest was not handled correctly or fairly, and the rewards were given to undeserving receipients.

If they do the Contest again in 2013, I hope they handle the contest better....

Dr. Angel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
There are a few rares I have no idea what to do with. Such as the snowglobes that all look the same no matter what they say and those stupid holiday wands.

Clops

Sage
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dread Lord
- I mean REALLY?! It's breaks the whole timeline, space-continuum, world & fantasy-genre this game is in!
Yes, this one. For the same reason you mentioned, this is my least favorite thing in the game.

Others include anything with a particularly awful graphic:
  • Jump rope and any other rare that uses that graphic (if you can even call it a graphic. I mean, I can scribble a line in Paint and call it a "jump rope" too.)
  • The unique leg bone (forget what it's called). But again, it looks like someone took a stock image of a dog bone and placed it in UO. It's awful: thank god it's unique, so I can avoid it for the most part.
  • Olmecian access orb and the new one with the same graphic but different color. They just look like color blobs on the screen. YUCK!

Last edited:

Dr. Angel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Color blobs lol....That is what they should call them. A Color Blob of an Access Orb....love it

Exploit_SX

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I at least, hate some rares which don't fit into the game (or you just think they are plain ugly!) in my opinion and I bet there are those who don't like some too!

Boots of the phoenix
- Ruined a totally nice armor set with a next to impossible-obtainable part for it... GJ!

Blaze cu-sidhe
- I think these can be considered as rares and are just so butt ugly they hurt my eyes every time I see one.

What about you guys? anyone have any rares they don't like?
*polishes boots of the phoenix*

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

the 1979 delorean hubcap is not meant for ultima online, it is a very discreet reference to the ultima 1-9 games, in one of the games the avatar builds a time machine to go into the future and fight aliens, and the hubcap is an ingredient you needed to collect to build the time machine (I swear this is real lol, Richard Garriot was going through an odd phase)

Last edited:

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- I mean REALLY?! It's breaks the whole timeline, space-continuum, world & fantasy-genre this game is in
Agree with this on. Item has no place in UO

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Great thread!! But all of you stop hating on my hubcap! its one of my favorites! I think its cute ^_^

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont get the whole "The hubcap doesn't belong in UO" argument. Didn't the Stranger/Avatar COME from our Earth? (Including Lord British for example).

Also there is use of things like time travel in Ultima Martian Dreams. (The Avatar time travels in our "Earth" and not to mention visits Mars.)

I mean, to say the hubcap breaks what genre Ultima is, is really silly considering the content of the original Ultima games.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I dont get the whole "The hubcap doesn't belong in UO" argument. Didn't the Stranger/Avatar COME from our Earth? (Including Lord British for example).

Also there is use of things like time travel in Ultima Martian Dreams. (The Avatar time travels in our "Earth" and not to mention visits Mars.)

I mean, to say the hubcap breaks what genre Ultima is, is really silly considering the content of the original Ultima games.
Totally Agree. I owned one for a day till I got an offer I could not refuse

The Avatar road to space! Why Not

Last edited:

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The ones I really want and then get out bid on!!!

Void Rock!
I have heard many a time about how beautiful this void rock is, and I have yet to see it with my actual eyes >_< I plead with the owner of this magnificent rare to put it on display! I would like to ooo ahhh and have a puddle of drool in front of me!

Last edited:

Adeka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm not into the glowing lumpy blobs that everyone else seems to like. Lock down items are boring to me, I like to dress up and show off!

And back off the Hubcap boys! Deca and I cant help it if you don't have good taste or a sense of humor! :p

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have heard many a time about how beautiful this void rock is, and I have yet to see it with my actual eyes >_< I plead with the owner of this magnificent rare to put it on display! I would like to ooo ahhh and have a puddle of drool in front of me!
Deca. I have this item and have been trying to move out of my castle since trying to deco it has become a headache for me. But work has gotten me again :( so I haven't been able to finish moving out or find a proper new location to display at yet. The rock isn't packed up yet so if u wanna see it ur more than welcome to. Just shoot me a pm. :)

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ty! I'm not at my conputer but I would love to visit it! I also humbly offer you a spot at my museum to display such a magnificent piece of art *coughs* *g*

Bon Iver

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
The one event item I despise, due to the lack of intelligence when it was engineered, are the Red Hot Momma's. From what I understand, since I do not own a pair, is that they are stone sandals which restrict any mobility. What's the point of having such beautiful sandals if you can't run around in them?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the ones that break, or never work as they should in the first place in both clients.
-the "chaos void" stopped working in classic client, along with what it was graphically based off of - the "void cores" (imbue reg) now its just a brown blob :(
-also i noticed my " Paradoxical Statue Giving A Reverent From To The Formless Lady Called Oblivion And Void" doesnt make the sound in EC client when you walk by it (i dont play EC much, but still would be nice if things worked as they should in BOTH.

Countless others im sure, like the 2 story "talking" statues that no longer talk.

Last edited:

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Deca. I have this item and have been trying to move out of my castle since trying to deco it has become a headache for me. But work has gotten me again :( so I haven't been able to finish moving out or find a proper new location to display at yet. The rock isn't packed up yet so if u wanna see it ur more than welcome to. Just shoot me a pm. :)
Haha this has been like over 2 years in the making!

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Ty! I'm not at my conputer but I would love to visit it! I also humbly offer you a spot at my museum to display such a magnificent piece of art *coughs* *g*
Its my Precious

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Haha this has been like over 2 years in the making!
Ya ya I know I throw in the towel. With as little time i have to log on and the headache it is to deco a castle whenever I do log on I want no part in it soooo I call uncle and its time for a decent custom home and just lay it all out display cases etc..
Anyhow u may go back to kicking a man when he's down.....lol j/k. Oh ya and Ath! Find me a new place! Lets try to get my new place open by 2025!!!!!! ;)

Last edited:

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya ya I know I throw in the towel. With as little time i have to log on and the headache it is to deco a castle.
I'll deco that castle for you. Or at least let me know if you would like to see some original ideas.

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya ya I know I throw in the towel. With as little time i have to log on and the headache it is to deco a castle whenever I do log on I want no part in it soooo I call uncle and its time for a decent custom home and just lay it all out display cases etc..
Anyhow u may go back to kicking a man when he's down.....lol j/k. Oh ya and Ath! Find me a new place! Lets try to get my new place open by 2025!!!!!! ;)
Funny you mention that, I have a beautiful 14x10 that had a very illustrious former owner! You might actually be able to fit the whole void rock inside, it only smells slightly of old shoes...