• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Which map do you use?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've used UO Automap for years when I'm using the Classic Client. I've kept it up to date with all the maps and working flawlessly.

Well the other day my computer decided it didn't want to boot. I am very good at repairing my system when this has happened in the past. Whether it be as simple as startup repair with a recovery disk or Command Prompt commands such as bootrec /fixmbr & bcdedit commands. Repairing the Master Boot Record and boot sequence is normally easy. This time nothing worked.

I lost very little. I backup my documents folder regularly. What I did lose though is UO Automap as it was installed in the root directory C:\. So years worth of buildings, houses and locations saved to the shard and personal files are lost.

I've never used any of the other UO map programs. How do they compare to UO Automap? I suppose I'm going to reinstall UO Automap but I am interested what UO Cartographer has to offer. Is there any other map program as well to try?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just stumbled across Ultima Mapper in a google search. Never even heard of this one but it appears to be the most recent being released in 2016

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uo cartography is your best bet. It has all the locations just like auto map did, and you can party up with your guild.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I use UO Cartographer with the EC however I know @Kojak I believe maintains both of them and they are here on Stratics somewhere. I thank him for what he does for the community most of that is over my head.

Sorry for your loss... we think we have everything covered and it only takes one tiny thing to show us we don't...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Note that coordinate maps for UOAM work for UOC as well.

I just got my modern computer back today, and have been setting it back up (will probably be Saturday before I switch back to it full-time). One of the things I have left to do is get UOAM running on it again. I made sure to keep UOAM, and the settings of my UOAssist (and list of keys) and both clients, backed up on Dropbox AND OneDrive. That way I can access them to recopy them from any machine.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
backed up on Dropbox AND OneDrive. That way I can access them to recopy them from any machine.
That's exactly what I do too. Plus an external hard drive on-site. I just didn't have UOAM included in the backups.

Brand new install of Windows 10 and I'm still having crash issues. I think my memory sticks have gone bad.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I do that stuff too... because I live in Tornado Alley... and if my machine and house were blown away I don't want to lose all the pictures of my Granddaughter again... like when my house got hit by lightning in the WINTER... during and ice storm... and killed my computer... after that I learned.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, I still have this available for public use. SOS/TMap Data generator for UOAM/UOCart.

It's still only useful for Tram and Fel, but I have a version adapted to my current spreadsheet software (Corel Quattro) that takes a little more work to use, but works for everything except Eodon (not had an Eodon map to test), and it's so different from the original Excel and the version that is on Google sheets that I'm not sure if it will export correctly to Sheets.