• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Which client use?

Which client use?

• Total voters

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
EC - Just wish it had high resolution graphics, instead of the lousy blurry CC graphics from 1997 which can't attract new players when the games life depends on it...and it does.

There's no comparison in terms of functionality between the clients. Only a fool would use the CC client imo...

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
CC is only good for macroing. If you want to play, the EC is much better.
It still looks like something from many years ago, but the interface is much better and many QOL changes made it into the client.
If only the game itself would look better.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Classic is my favorite flavor. Too many bugs in enhanced, graphics stink, and is an incredible resource hog on my computer. Personally I would encourge someone to try both. You have options might as well test both!!

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EC - Just wish it had high resolution graphics, instead of the lousy blurry CC graphics from 1997 which can't attract new players when the games life depends on it...and it does.

There's no comparison in terms of functionality between the clients. Only a fool would use the CC client imo...
Little trolling at the end I see :)

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the other looks fuzzy to me.
Have you set the zoom level correctly? When I say correctly I mean to the same level as the CC. Might help you out if you try again in the future.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I need a third choice...uses both. Two accounts I use CC the others the EC. Both have pros and cons and these depend on the person.

For me Pros:
CC is easier to decorate my houses, stock vendors, pull up bars during hunting, easier on my old eyes as it seems to run smoother.
EC I can zoom in and out(easier to see little stuff), hot bars which for me makes creating macros easier, able to compare armor, and a big one find my body and a healer. I die alot.

For me Cons:
CC the graphics are smaller due to perspective distance. Comparing armor I have to take pieces on and off.
Always having to empty my bacpack when hunting, problems find my body. Macros with out assist harder for me to make.
EC movement bothers my eyes at times. Graphics seem a little blurry(could just be my eyes). When making macros, harder to find what I'm looking for and the multi step process. I don't often use the making macro instead i just add what i need to the hot bar and set up the keying. Higher learning curve because it can do so much.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I use the EC for the functionality of it without the need of a second program. I never bought UOAssist, and I honestly never plan to. And with the enhanced client, I really don't need to.

About the only thing I use the classic client for now is to customize my house, since doing it in the enhanced client was irritating the heck out of me.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tried to like the EC for a couple of weeks and it just would not grow on me. SO back to the CC.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Question about ec my biggest pet peeve is closing gumps. Is there a way to make right click close gumps? I know that seems small but really the one thing that keeps me from going all out and trying it for a full month.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question about ec my biggest pet peeve is closing gumps. Is there a way to make right click close gumps? I know that seems small but really the one thing that keeps me from going all out and trying it for a full month.
Yes. That is the way mine works (right click to close gumps). I thought it was this way by default.

***Edit:
Ya know, it might be a function of Legacy Containers.

Try turning that on and see if you can right-click to close gumps.

***Edit 2:
Nope, scratch that. I do not have Legacy Containers checked and still just right click to close gumps.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
CC ... I have the EC and tried to use it but ...

1. Hearth of the Homefire does not show ... the hole in the house wall is there, the stag head trophy is there. The hearth is not there.
2. a large east-facing forge does not show up. The anvil and trash barrel to each side are there.
3. A blue soulstone with a skill on it does not show up. The effect for a populatd stone is there, but no stone. Two red stones (one in use) are there and properly showing.

I logged out/re-entered twice. I refreshed the display. Still screwed up. This is why I will continue to use UOA and the CC.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

1. Hearth of the Homefire does not show ... the hole in the house wall is there, the stag head trophy is there. The hearth is not there.
2. a large east-facing forge does not show up. The anvil and trash barrel to each side are there.
3. A blue soulstone with a skill on it does not show up. The effect for a populatd stone is there, but no stone. Two red stones (one in use) are there and properly showing.

I logged out/re-entered twice. I refreshed the display. Still screwed up. This is why I will continue to use UOA and the CC.
Sounds like your download got messed up because I know blue soulstones show up for me.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Anything animated vanishes if you have the Circle of Transparency on in the EC. This is a known bug that I've mentioned for a long time. I have several fountains of life that I haven't seen in YEARS because of this.

As for me I use the EC almost exclusively. I forget how to talk in the CC and it takes me a long time to remember how to log out in the CC.

Personally for me I had to switch since I found that the CC was constantly freezing up on my new PC and not running smoothly.... I switched to the EC and it's 10X faster for me.

Pros for the EC... Your character can auto-navigate around stuff... (this can also be a con when you are TRYING to run up against something like a teleporter or stairs.) The set up of macro's is EXTREMELY quick and easy. Also copying macro's from one character to another is very easy... It's great to be able to set up a "base" template for most all your settings and copy that onto your desktop so you can copy paste it for a new character and have all your settings fixed and set in seconds. Picking up stuff from the ground is a snap... Looting while you are looting regular mobs and your own share of a corpse is a snap. Nothing ever gets "buried" in your backpack. It's very quick and easy to get bars of mobs because the EC does it for you.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't they need Pincos to make EC functional?
I have always used the default EC and been just fine (well, I used CC until the EC came out). With the original EC, Pinco's UI did add a lot of bells and whistles.

When the dev team hired/contracted with Pinco a year or two ago, a lot of those bells and whistles were incorporated directly into the default EC.

The default EC is now pretty substantial all on its own. So no, you don't have to have Pinco's to make it functional.

I'm not going to advocate that the EC is perfect or anything like that. There are still numerous basic things in the EC that could be improved (like the circle of transparency being pretty small).

However, I can think of only two options I used in CC/UOA (both insignificant for me) that I haven't been able to figure out how to set in the EC (and I'm pretty sure I could for one if I sat down and really tried).

So at this point, default EC would be comparable to CC with UOA and then some more, but also without of couple of niceties found in UOA. Kind of an odd situation, but standard for UO.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I have always used the default EC and been just fine (well, I used CC until the EC came out). With the original EC, Pinco's UI did add a lot of bells and whistles.

When the dev team hired/contracted with Pinco a year or two ago, a lot of those bells and whistles were incorporated directly into the default EC.

The default EC is now pretty substantial all on its own. So no, you don't have to have Pinco's to make it functional.

I'm not going to advocate that the EC is perfect or anything like that. There are still numerous basic things in the EC that could be improved (like the circle of transparency being pretty small).

However, I can think of only two options I used in CC/UOA (both insignificant for me) that I haven't been able to figure out how to set in the EC (and I'm pretty sure I could for one if I sat down and really tried).

So at this point, default EC would be comparable to CC with UOA and then some more, but also without of couple of niceties found in UOA. Kind of an odd situation, but standard for UO.
I recall trying the original UI on the EC and it was pretty horrendous and laggy.

I do recall a lot of people saying they couldn't play the EC without Pincos.

I did forget, however, they hired him in to tweak the EC itself.

Now if only they'd let him take a crack at the CC...

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran

I'm a proud fool

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
By gumps, do you mean containers or corpses? If so, shortcut icons that close all containers/corpses at once or all health bars at once are under Actions - Other. Handy after killing and looting. Or maybe you're thinking of other gumps (but I close them individually by right clicking the top bar on them)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
By mutual consent, both clients must exist. I do believe this rift is the one thing that may end UO.

So far both clients are supported as best Broadsword can.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
By mutual consent, both clients must exist. I do believe this rift is the one thing that may end UO.

My vote was on Mesanna, but I digress.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yeah, supporting two clients must be a significant drain on resources, but what other choice is there at this point?

Rock and a hard place.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My only complaint about EC is the way it looks. It has a horrid feel to it.... I wish they could use cc graphics in the EC engine...
Same here. It's obviously the superior client function wise, but the aesthetics are just atrocious, to the point that I have zero desire to look at it. To me it ruins the whole feel of the game, and the world. CC's graphics ARE tiny, and ARE old, but they are unique, clean, beautiful, and most importantly cohesive. If only they would chuck 90% of the art made since SA, we would be doing good, looks wise.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still like cc, the other looks fuzzy to me.
I had that too but then I tested fullscreen and piddled with a few scale settings and it was beautiful, using it and never looked back, CC now looks antique to me and I could never ever go back to those awful crampacked backpacks.

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Anything animated vanishes if you have the Circle of Transparency on in the EC. This is a known bug that I've mentioned for a long time. I have several fountains of life that I haven't seen in YEARS because of this.

As for me I use the EC almost exclusively. I forget how to talk in the CC and it takes me a long time to remember how to log out in the CC.

Personally for me I had to switch since I found that the CC was constantly freezing up on my new PC and not running smoothly.... I switched to the EC and it's 10X faster for me.

Pros for the EC... Your character can auto-navigate around stuff... (this can also be a con when you are TRYING to run up against something like a teleporter or stairs.) The set up of macro's is EXTREMELY quick and easy. Also copying macro's from one character to another is very easy... It's great to be able to set up a "base" template for most all your settings and copy that onto your desktop so you can copy paste it for a new character and have all your settings fixed and set in seconds. Picking up stuff from the ground is a snap... Looting while you are looting regular mobs and your own share of a corpse is a snap. Nothing ever gets "buried" in your backpack. It's very quick and easy to get bars of mobs because the EC does it for you.
can you PM me for istruction to copy graphic template from to other character?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just setup one char with all the spells and macros and layout etc. Go to the folder where they are saved. It will be something like this:

C:\Users\DJAd\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data\UOACCOUNTNAME\Atlantic

Inside this folder you will see the name of your character.
Copy the file.
Paste it and rename it to the char you want to clone the settings.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One major thing I hate about the EC is all the crap & clutter on the screen, followed closely by the graphics. I used both for a while, the EC is really nice with High Seas, but finally gave up on it last re-install I did. It just doesn't click with me.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Really it's no secret.

Set up the template how you want it one time. Then you go into your Documents folder where EA/UO stores the character data. Usually it's C:\Users\your computername\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data And then the account folder your character is on then the shard your template character is on.

Then I copy that character rename the character data something like "Base Template" then whenever I create a new character I simply drop that into the shard that I'm making the new character on name it what I'm naming my character and it's set.

Now if you want to copy over the base onto a character that is already made I go into the folder where their data is change the character name in there by adding a 1 behind their name and then drop the base template in there are rename it to the character without the 1... This way I have a back-up in there of their old clean template should anything go wrong.

I tend to have a bunch of characters that use the same layout so it's easy to make a base template for crafters, dexers and mages. This way all your settings for where you put your stuff like the map, paperdoll and everything are all identical... as well as music settings or lack there of... and appearance settings.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly this poll rather surprises me, in the past EC has been vastly outnumbered, now however, not so much.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly this poll rather surprises me, in the past EC has been vastly outnumbered, now however, not so much.
Likely a lot of older players are leaving, we're the main CC users. New Players likely have been downloading the Enhanced *coughs* Client, assuming it's the better one.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Likely a lot of older players are leaving, we're the main CC users. New Players likely have been downloading the Enhanced *coughs* Client, assuming it's the better one.
If you knew my RL age you wouldn'ta said that. I never knock the CC Client, played with it for years, still play with it in certain instances, why do CC folks have such a hate for EC? I don't understand, you just have your choice that's all there is to it, no feelings, no pain, I just think it makes playing the game easier for me.