• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Which among this Tameables is by far the fastest one ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been trying to search for informations about the "speed" of Tameable pets (speed not just in movement but also in their reaction times according to their Target's changes...) but I could find them nowhere, I also searched the UO-CAH great Web site but could not find anything about tameable pets speed.

Does anyone know, of the following tameable pets, which one would be by far the fastest in movement speed as well as reaction times to adjust to their target's changes ?

Perhaps the ability and likeliness to "teleport" to their target might help much to the tameable pet speed to get to their target and stick to it ?
Thanks.

Bake Kitsune
Bane Dragon
Bull
Coconut Crab
Cu Sidhe
Dire Wolf
Dread Spider
Eowmu
Fire Beetle
Frost Drake
Frost Mite
Frost Spider
Gaman
Giant Beetle
Grizzled Mare
Hungry Coconut Crab
Iron Beetle
Ki-Rin
Lasher
Lion
Najasaurus
Phoenix
Raptor
Sabre-Toothed Tiger
Skeletal Cat
Skree
Stygian Drake
Triceratops
Triton
Tsuki Wolf
Unicorn
White Wyrm
Windrunner

Turkish

Journeyman
I haven't trained or used all of these, but I'm often surprised at the speed of my Fire Beetle and Triton. They often disappear from my screen and I have no idea which way they went. I think that happens more with the Beetle than the triton. Although, that could be lag? Ha, I dunno.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You did not find the pet search page. Here

Can search for over capped stats such as Dexterity. They did a fine job on their pet search choices. :thumbup1:

Search and ye shall find. Also has an instruction page: Clicky Clicky

Pheonix is very fast and can get Magery Mastery which will cause pet to teleport.

They capped pet speed at 190 I think. So anything over that does not matter.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pet Movement speed is based on DEX, and they capped it at 190 DEX after people complained about the Phoenix chasing down speedhackers. They moved like Usain Bolt on crack. They were like UO's version of the "Beast of Caerbannog".

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pet Movement speed is based on DEX, and they capped it at 190 DEX after people complained about the Phoenix chasing down speedhackers.
@PlayerSkillFTW

Aheam..... "speedhackers" had such an edge and still Pets' speed was nerfed with the result that not even a pet could stop them ?

I am speechless....

On another note, does that mean that, of the List of Pets in the OP, any of those Pet that is at 190 Dexterity would basically move as fast as any other Pet of that List which is at 190 Dexterity ?

That is, a Phoenix that is at a 300 Dexterity CAP would basically only speed up to the equivalent of a Dexterity of 190 which it means only about 63% of its movement speed capabilities ?

If so, that's a hell of a nerf of a Pet's ability without giving it anything else in compensation, to my opinion....

Last edited:

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Your forgetting any debuff to dex.

So a pet that has higher dex than 190 doesnt suffer from curse,disco or other things.

And i thought the issue was pets moving at mounted speeds so players couldnt get away(not a bad thing considering your dropping 240 points for a pet) but having thier damage capped as well hurts.

Why not let me uave a naja that can only hit you for 25 damage move across 8 screens in the blink of an eye, players can.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On another note, does that mean that, of the List of Pets in the OP, any of those Pet that is at 190 Dexterity would basically move as fast as any other Pet of that List which is at 190 Dexterity ?

That is, a Phoenix that is at a 300 Dexterity CAP would basically only speed up to the equivalent of a Dexterity of 190 which it means only about 63% of its movement speed capabilities ?
Yes. A 300 DEX Phoenix moves at the same speed as a 190 DEX Tsuki Wolf or a 220 DEX Triton.

And i thought the issue was pets moving at mounted speeds so players couldnt get away(not a bad thing considering your dropping 240 points for a pet) but having thier damage capped as well hurts.

Why not let me uave a naja that can only hit you for 25 damage move across 8 screens in the blink of an eye, players can.
People were putting Dismount on their Phoenix, and using it to bring speedhackers to ground. Once the speedhacker was dismounted, mounted non-speedhackers could catch up to them and kill them. Combine that with the Phoenix originally having a tiny, red eagle graphic that made it difficult to pull their bar when they were moving that fast, they nerfed it. Between the movement speed nerf, the damage nerf, the AI cooldown in PvP for pets, and pet Dismount being resistable now, pets are pretty trash in PvP. Only half decent one is a RC Beetle.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes. A 300 DEX Phoenix moves at the same speed as a 190 DEX Tsuki Wolf or a 220 DEX Triton.

People were putting Dismount on their Phoenix, and using it to bring speedhackers to ground. Once the speedhacker was dismounted, mounted non-speedhackers could catch up to them and kill them. Combine that with the Phoenix originally having a tiny, red eagle graphic that made it difficult to pull their bar when they were moving that fast, they nerfed it. Between the movement speed nerf, the damage nerf, the AI cooldown in PvP for pets, and pet Dismount being resistable now, pets are pretty trash in PvP. Only half decent one is a RC Beetle.
I think it was an attempt at balancing pets in pvp. Not many pvpers like sitting and fighting pets, and on top of that your fighting a player with 840 skill points, overall 240 is not much, it was overpowered in pvp. I agree the nerf probably went too far because now they stink.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree the nerf probably went too far because now they stink.
The blancing issue that I see, is that most players in UO play as a Tamer.

Now, for those Tamer players going to Felucca for whatever, having their pets "so much" nerfed for PvP, as many of you have already pointed out, means basically being unable to stand up and fight against a pkiller all geared up and skilled for PvP if their pet is pretty much unable to do much when the Tamer, all focused on Taming skills, is obviously not a match in PvP if their pet will be of no help in the fight....

Perhaps, the nerf to Pets in PvP should be un-nerfed ?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
"Perhaps, the nerf to Pets in PvP should be un-nerfed ?"
This will never happen, and if it ever does, will unbalance a half-way balanced pvp/non-pvp system, and make a huge number of folks unhappy.