• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Where is the disappearing pet post?

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I was trying to read that article here two hours ago but had to stop and run RL errands, now poof it's gone. I'm very concerned as a Tamer/Mage myself. So can we at least composite some data here so we know when, where, and what is happening to these pets?
If the bug will get resolved, and what we should do in the mean time...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was trying to read that article here two hours ago but had to stop and run RL errands, now poof it's gone. I'm very concerned as a Tamer/Mage myself. So can we at least composite some data here so we know when, where, and what is happening to these pets?
If the bug will get resolved, and what we should do in the mean time...

What I have been able to determine from my own experiences and in talking to others is, it is rare like around a 1 in 300 odds. In almost every case I have heard of and in every one of my cases, it occured in a client crash or a internet disconnect. I had initially thought it had to do with pirate ships but have since lost two pets, one at the sleeping dragon champ spawn and one on a recall client crash. I have noticed most of us have a lot of pets in and out of the stables over the course of a day. On the Sleeping Dragon loss I had a second account running on a second computer that did not client crash and from what I saw it looked like the pet auto stabled, but when I got the first client back up and logged in the character was dead and the usual message about the pet not being able to rejoin you message did not appear, Rezed logged out and back in, still no pet and followers were zero and the pet ball was no longer linked to a pet. This leads me to believe it could have something to do with the number of pets cycled in and out of the stable, and the auto stabling in a crash or dc not working right (That is pure speculation at this point). All of my pets and everyone else I have spoken with pets were bonded either through stable and feeding time or a potion. It does not happen every DC or crash in fact it happens in a very VERY small % of them. It will be a very hard bug to duplicate because of that low % and how random it is. I had thought it might be fixed as it had been several weeks since I had lost a pet until the champ spawn pet poofed. But my my game time had been very limited during that time and my pet cycling in in out of the stables had been A LOT less than those previous weeks. When and where does not seem to matter, I have lost them out at sea, recalling from Brit bank to a house, and the tokuno champ. Others have lost them in despise, in their house, timing out standing at the stables, blood dungeon, the roof, and at Navery. What is happening to them is a great mystery, they are not in the stables, they are not going wild, they are not running off and getting stuck somewhere, they just seem to cease to exist as if they never were. Oh yeah and it can get really expensive when it is a fully trained and 120 scrolled out pet :( Two people I talked to said they had two clients open on the same machine, and both said the first client opened lost its pet in a DC/Client Crash but the second client opened did not lose its pet. That is about all I know and hope it helps you out. Odds are you won't lose a pet but odds are you won't win at the roulette table either and people do :)

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I really appreciate that info, I've had those crashes too and I only have one account. This pet situation is definitely very disturbing! I hope they are working on a fix and I agree with others with all the proof of what is going on, those suffering such serious losses through no fault of their own should be compensated in some fashion.

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I wonder if the glitch is tied into the soulless spawn system? Would that be about the time these issues began, or was it the overhaul to the pet training system?

Sparviero

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The souless spawn system is active only on Siege Perilous (on atlantic, drachen and europe there isn't) and if i understood well, tyranth lost his pet also on onther shards like many other player... So i think it's a publish bug :p

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Being used to Siege, I've now added pets to my armor re-supply category until this is resolved. I'm keeping my favorite, expensive pixels in the stable and instead I'm going to train up a backup Cu or three that are only scrolled with a couple 110s. Still plenty good enough for what I do, but I'm not gonna be too upset if I lost one.

Still... I get attached to my pets, and I do hope they can figure this out soon.

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'd be bummed out, but I could deal with it if I lost a pet, I don't invest RL money into them nor do I bother scrolling them. I would be sad to lose the training time though and a pal to oblivion.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I am trying not to get attached to my current Cu. I know I will, tho. Not sure what it is about pixel pets... I give them names, and spend so much time training them and fighting alongside them. I always smile when my Cu comes up to my ghost and tries so hard to rez me. Each pet has memories for me, of battles won and lost. If I lose a pixel pet, it feels like losing a cherished photo album.

So, now I have made up a little story! See, through the powers of magic and alchemy, I have created clones of my beloved Cu Sidhe, a soulless body that is kept in storage. In the event that my Keisha should lose her earthly form, I have only to transfer her soul to this waiting, empty vessel. Tadah! Now I won't be sad lol. Silly, I know, but there you have it.

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Kinda similar that I always have a nightmare named Tamara lol

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This affecting old style pets as well or just the new publish trained pets?

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm afraid I know very little about this. It has not happened to me personally, and I do not take the time to read forums other than Siege. So thanks for posting this news here, by the way. This bug may or may not effect my pre-publish Cu, and I may never 'win' that roulette if it does. But, just in case - I have a plan now :p

The pet-bug is a cheating PK, and my pet is a Siege-blessed weapon that can possibly be unblessed and lost to me. Siege has taught me that 99% of the sting of losing gear (or in this case my pet) is removed if there is a replacement immediately at hand. So just like gear, I won't be taking an expensive pet out hunting any time soon lol. Just as most of the shard seem to have downgraded their SB'd items, I am downgrading my pet usage as well.

If/when they resolve this, I hope that some one takes the time to mention it on Siege. :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I won't be taking an expensive pet out hunting any time soon lol.
Don't go bank sitting with them either..

On the 4th of July I left my tamer banksitting at WBB on Atl. EM decided to pop a critter there to entertain the folks, which is cool (my fault for bank sittting afk lol) at any rate, I died and my white Cu (4x120) did as well. Had no follower slots, not in stable etc... I can not say for sure if it was bonded or not.. I mean it was at one point but I guess it COULD have gone back to tame from the not listening to command deal... either way... just thought I would throw it out there.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pub 97 seems to have been the factor in this. Last pet I lost was in 2001/2002 and it was explainable, the string I have lost since pub 97 is like a Bermuda Triangle for pets and not explainable :) It has happened on Siege, Origin, Legends and Lake Superior with my pets so I doubt it has anything to do with EM activities like the minions, or even which shard. I have also noted that most of the folks I talked to that have lost pets are also in more rural areas like myself with not the best internet options and most likely a much higher rate of dropped connections than folks in more urban areas. Right now the only pets I am training up and using are unscrolled, stable bonded, generic colored Hiryus and Cu's. Depending on how flaky Verizons tower is on a given day I can DC 3-4 times per hour and the sleeping dragon spawn almost always crashes my client when it changes to lessers and rev lions. Going to try to lose pets over the weeked Crimson Fire Drakes to be specific since trading them often causes a client crash. And see if I can figure anything out from that and have a 3rd computer and acct recording the trades and crashes. Should have time to play with that Tmrw afternoon :) Might learn nothing or might learn something LOL

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also as some know and others don't a whole lot of old bugs became active with pub97 and the patches leading up to it. Could be one of them behaving in a new way.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Pub 97 seems to have been the factor in this.
There has definitely been a change since 97 when it comes to pets listening properly and I believe some of the pet loss can be attributed to that end of it.. which imo is by design. Level 5 advanced pets should need to have a high level of taming to control and if you do not have the skill high enough the pets should go tame on you.. but I do not think all of the pet loss can be earmarked as that situation..

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If/when they resolve this, I hope that some one takes the time to mention it on Siege. :)
They have to be able to duplicate it before they can fix it, Part of the reason I am posting so much info about on stratics. I can't stomach the bug reporting system and I don't know if my emails just go straight to the spam folder or are just straight up ignored :) Hopefully they are atleast looking at the problem and information I have managed to collect about this and have posted on stratics. Not asking for refunds for pots or the lost scrolls back, would just like to see this bug either fixed or the cause of it determined so folks can avoid doing whatever is causing it, problem is there does not seem to be a lot in common across the board other than disconnects and client crashes. My gut tells me there is something glitched in the auto stabling, I wish there was a way to turn it off so I could test that theory. I would much rather Rez a top tier scrolled out pet than it go poof if it is a bug with the auto stabling :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There has definitely been a change since 97 when it comes to pets listening properly and I believe some of the pet loss can be attributed to that end of it.. which imo is by design. Level 5 advanced pets should need to have a high level of taming to control and if you do not have the skill high enough the pets should go tame on you.. but I do not think all of the pet loss can be earmarked as that situation..
Yeah some of the folks I talked to were in the 115 taming skill and 110 lore range trying to have full control over 5 slots and they went wild and died on failed commands and no feeding. One with 90 taming and lore forgot to put their taming jewels back on after switching to mage and eval jewels. Even at 120 lore and tame you don't have 100% and the pets loyalty will degrade a bit with each failed command, Cough I lost one that way and don't count it in my losses as it was my error and explainable :) The problem is putting this info public is folks that lost a pet through their own error will be claiming bug and demanding reimbursement. And hurt the credibility of the folks that have lost pets through no fault of their own.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do know when you sit down to relax for a couple of hours of working a fairly difficult spawn, this is the last thing you want to log back into and see after a client crash........ Relaxed turns to stressed out WTF Rage :) And I like to really drag that spawn out because I get a lot pinks in my pack and the longer it takes the more pinks I get :)

another one gone.png