• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

where is crazyjoe for Haiti

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually been thinking about CrazyJoe the last few days.

D

Deb

I remember him also, helped with the Katrina disaster err
Tsunami although I do remember some Katrina help going on
in UO.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Might be some old timers around still, like me. He was one of a kind. Is MOO of Lake Austin still around?

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crazy Joe quit UO years ago...
And it was the Tsunami fund.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember him and I donated gold to his cause. Was it for the Tsunami or for Katrina? I thought I remember a debate going on about whether UNICEF or the Red Cross would be better for overseas relief efforts.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not sure what CJ's been up to.

He's not been with Stratics, since a year or two after the tsunami. His Rune Library on Lake Austin has fell 4 different times, and each time been rebuilt by other people using his books, in that period as well (the first 3 times, rebuilt in the same place in the Britain gate/farms area, the last time, moved west of Luna).

I thought of him, immediately after hearing of the extent of the quake damage, as well.

Of course, one of the differences between then and now is that WHILE we were doing that fundraiser (wasn't staff back then; but I donated some of the gold that was auctioned - then bought it and more back!), eBay/Paypal got a bug up its arse about how charitable sales worked, so it couldn't be repeated, even if the later ban against virtual items sales didn't exist (the bastards wouldn't even let a veterans group use paypal for a gun raffle, to raise money for wounded troops, because the raffle was for a gun). Attempts to do stuff for Katrina got cut short by eBay/Paypal's petty politics.

IF you want to help with Haiti relief, the easiest way involves your cell phone, if you have one. The Red Cross and several other relief/charity groups have numbers you can text to, where the charge for texting is $5, $10, etc., with the amount charged going to the organization (which will also give you a record for your taxes, on your cell bill). Try to use ones where the money is stated to go to the disaster relief specifically, over ones where it would just go to the general fund for the charity (note that if you make a check donations, if you specify in writing on the check it's supposed to go to the disaster relief, they are legally obligated to use it that way, though how that works in practice is anyone's guess).

Doctors Without Borders, and Partners in Health, are good choices because they were already doing charity work IN Haiti before the quake, and while their infrastructure and personnel were relatively unscathed, they are getting severely overworked and running out of supplies (and funds for those supplies).

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yes have done for doc's borders but was trying to ignite community we did once or twice why not get a stratics link for going for !!!!!!!!!!!!!

uo does have a large player base maybe a thing to show ie on a donation!!!!!!!!

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still have the MSNBC article about virtual world reaching to help the real one featuring CJ :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IF we could Mythic to offer an in-game item for sale, with the proceeds going to disaster relief, it would be great.

Facebook games like Mafia Wars are doing that - and, ironically, MW had just finished another Haiti fundraiser just days before the earthquake, which they quickly improved, reactivated, and instead of half the proceeds going to a hunger-fighting charity, the revamped one has all the proceeds going to one more directly involved with disaster relief (which if the person bought the item with saved-up GF points, that meant that part of the donation was coming all out of Zynga's pocket).

The only problem with that scenario for Mythic is just how badly the gamecodes store is running for many people (never had a problem with it, myself, though).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
so where is the pain pop a paypal link see what happens
Read my post.

eBay owns Paypal, and they became real asshats about using Paypal for charitable work - which is why attempts to raise Katrina donations by CJ were pretty much stillborn. Unless you have a registered charity already set up, and that charity has to fit the political mindset of the eBay board, you don't have a chance in hell of getting anything set up.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ebay has a link to doante a 1 for auctions

so maybe things have changed

Read my post.

eBay owns Paypal, and they became real asshats about using Paypal for charitable work - which is why attempts to raise Katrina donations by CJ were pretty much stillborn. Unless you have a registered charity already set up, and that charity has to fit the political mindset of the eBay board, you don't have a chance in hell of getting anything set up.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Try setting one up that isn't a registered charity. If anything, they're worse now.

Damien Softstep

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about a fund for america and OUR recession?People have to pay for their GED tests now and their cutting bus routes out where im from...i find it sad that well send 100 million over to another country while our own country is in a recession...

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
tell you what go tell your teacher/ person you respect that
then come back with answer

curious to what answer they tell you

be a good learning project in life growth ''

What about a fund for america and OUR recession?People have to pay for their GED tests now and their cutting bus routes out where im from...i find it sad that well send 100 million over to another country while our own country is in a recession...

Damien Softstep

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tell you what go tell your teacher/ person you respect that
then come back with answer

curious to what answer they tell you

be a good learning project in life growth ''
I went and asked and they told me "Its sorta like having a brokedown car and giving your cash to a fund that will only get 50% of it its ****ing stupid"...

On a side question why donate money when your already going to be doing it with your taxes anyways to pay the 100 million we are sending them?

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can text money to the releif it been all over twiter and facebook the last few days just google text Haiti you find it.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
quick you 4 minutes to ask a respected person hmmm did your sister flick your ear when u did

:)

and judging you dont know about what was done before on stratics and hope disaster never befalls you as your attitude if displayed on rescuers u would be still there next year

I went and asked and they told me "Its sorta like having a brokedown car and giving your cash to a fund that will only get 50% of it its ****ing stupid"...

On a side question why donate money when your already going to be doing it with your taxes anyways to pay the 100 million we are sending them?

Damien Softstep

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
quick you 4 minutes to ask a respected person hmmm did your sister flick your ear when u did

:)

and judging you dont know about what was done before on stratics and hope disaster never befalls you as your attitude if displayed on rescuers u would be still there next year
Im sure a foreign country wont help me hopefully it will be my own country...im well aware what CJ did on Siege i play SP and donated gold...

hakeem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about a fund for america and OUR recession?..i find it sad that well send 100 million over to another country while our own country is in a recession...
Since when did we downgrade to a recession? Guess the memo got lost when my mailman got laid off.

hakeem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well since we have been in a recession for 2 years now. Where have you been?
Actually crap smacker, it is a new thing called humour.
Downgraded would seem to conotate that recession is a mild term in my opinion for what we are actually dealing with. Except for the mailman part. Absolutely true. If ye think this is just a recession, with mail carriers gettin the boot, take yer head back out fore ye suffocate.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually crap smacker, it is a new thing called humour.
Downgraded would seem to conotate that recession is a mild term in my opinion for what we are actually dealing with. Except for the mailman part. Absolutely true. If ye think this is just a recession, with mail carriers gettin the boot, take yer head back out fore ye suffocate.
Mail carrier is a job just like any other job. Just because they get layed off doesn't make the recession any worse than someone from mcdonalds getting the boot. Now its obvious you haven't been paying attention to the news. Because the United States Postal Service has been having money problems well before the recession hit. They have been offering early retirement to longtime employees that get paid alot just so they can hire new lower pay workers.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually the "recession" ended in 3Q of 2009...just saying. I know it doesnt feel like it to those of us on the lower end of the totem poll, but its true.

CrazyJoe

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Surprise!

Sadly, GamersCharity has no chance in coming back nor did it for this.

1.) The main HTML got hacked by russians a few years ago, and Sannio and I lost touch and he set up the site for me

2.) Ebay doesn't allow virtual sales.

3.) I don't have any UO Accounts.

4.) I'm very busy in Real Life.

However, I did help out in huge way with virtual donations turning into RL donations that I rather keep anonymous.