• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] Where do you get your barbed hides?

C

Coppelia

I didn't have to hunt for barbed hides yet since the Greater Dragons update (I had a break), but last time I went to Destard it was very unproductive and at Demon Temple it seemed that it would be tedious to lure out the normal dragons and kill them in a safer location.

So... since the Greater Dragon update, where do you get your barbed hides from?

V

Velandra

IDOCs

:)

I left for three years, came back with my bard/tailor logged in in Destard and was completely annihilated by a greater dragon in about 5 seconds..

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The best place for getting barbed leather is simple:

Ilshenar, oaks champion spawn.

Just have all your friends cut the barbed leather off the serpentine dragons they kill (and everyone gets replica chances).

Next best would be the serpentine dragon spawn between the Juka city and the entrance to the central/Ankh dungeon, but it is usually farmed on the bigger shards.

At least at the champ spawn, you have other things to work for (SOTs, replicas) - not to mention the shadow wisps having bones, centaurs having spined leather, and unis & ki-rins have horned (one stop tailor supply gathering, as long as you get your karma back up between spawn trips).

C

Coppelia

But Serpentine Dragons are a big karma hit! Don't you go negative after doing a spawn?
Where do you get your karma back fast?

B

Brynthe

But Serpentine Dragons are a big karma hit! Don't you go negative after doing a spawn?
Where do you get your karma back fast?
I kill troglodytes in the Painted Caves.. in roughly 1-2 hours there I can go from Dread Lord back to Glorious Lord and start all over again.

W

Wilde1

I farm pinks with a different character, sell those, and buy the barbed hides I need.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep, farming Troglodytes is good - or, if you get lucky and catch the Ice White Wyrm not being farmed, you can hunt those for both karma and Barbed leather. However, the WWs are farmed even more frequently than the solo serpentine, so I didn't even bother mentioning it.

If you go in "Glorious" to an Oaks Spawn, and ONLY kill the shadow wisps, wisps and centaurs to advance the spawn (then change to the Serpentines at level 4, and of course the bosses), you can do about 5 ENTIRE SPAWNS before karma becomes an issue. It will typically take a group of 3 or 4 to advance the spawn to the bosses through the serpentines.

Mark Trail

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
White Wyrms at the back of the Ice dungeon give barbed hides plus fame and you have no worries anout karma loss or big bad greater white wyrms.

C

Coppelia

I've never been fan of White Wyrms because the spot is generally taken and there are annoying spiders and snakes around, but I assume I should try it at off hours.
Also for Oak spawn, if you can do 4-5 spawns before really hurting your karma dangerously, that should be enough to farm enough hides for a while. Now scrolls are dropping, it should be easier to find people to do it. :)

Thank you all!

V

Vyal

Wow I didn't know even trammys could no so lil about this type of stuff.

The best place for barbed leather is Thrasher in Blighted Grove fel 100 barbed leather per kill say 1 kill every 5 seconds with a greater. Plus you get drops like the totem of the void.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I kill nightmares. Not the fastest that's for sure but easy for me to handle and the spot is never camped.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow I didn't know even trammys could no so lil about this type of stuff.

The best place for barbed leather is Thrasher in Blighted Grove fel 100 barbed leather per kill say 1 kill every 5 seconds with a greater. Plus you get drops like the totem of the void.
Thank you for proving you have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER, Vyal....

Thrasher gives NORMAL leather, unless something has changed in the last few months.

The only creature released in SE OR ML that gives something OTHER than normal leather, is the Crystal Serpents in the Prism. Even the centaurs of the Twisted Weald spawn only give normal leather, when normal centaurs and the ones from the Oaks spawn give spined.

I had to test EVERY leather creature when writing the Tailor profession guide last year.

C

Coppelia

I kill nightmares. Not the fastest that's for sure but easy for me to handle and the spot is never camped.
Oh you remind me that there are several spots for the nightmares! There's certainly one of them that will be fine.