• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

where do you get crabs or lobsters?

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
quest i have now is snow crabs - where do you fish them up?
I thought I saw a page somewhere that had certain dungeon spots and the fish from that spot. cant find it now thou.

Lorddog

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Buy some lobster traps from the Lobster NPCs on the Market Town, Double click them and target some water.

When they bob, Double click them quickly and you'll be able to open them to get some crab/lobsters.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
is that the only place to buy them? at that floating market?

M

Muu Bin

So far this is the only place I have found the traps. I think this need to be changed just like the DEVs added alchemists to each city dock. They need to add a Crab Fisher to each dock where the new fishing quests take you.

Also... while on the subject of lobster/ crab traps... I like how they can disappear but would appreciate a bit more of a chance of getting them before they disappear. One "sploosh" without a warning kind of sucks.

When we fish with a pole and get the message "You fish a while, but fail to catch anything", we don't lose the fishing pole. With the new lobster traps, losing about 1 every 10 attempts or so is an awesome gold sink if that was the intention. But... at around 140 gp per trap, I doubt this was the intent.

Suggestions then... How about making the traps craftable by a tinker or carpenter? How about also placing a Crab Fisher at each harbor/ city dock where the new fishing quests take us?

I also like the idea of dropping a bunch off the side of the boat and then coming back later to pick up my harvest. Any chance of being able to do that without having all the traps disappear?

Just some ideas to bat around for anyone interested... rolleyes:

T

Trixrnt4kids

I was thinking the same thing... that you should be able to leave the traps (after all, they have the fisherman's name on them) and come back to get them. Then I noticed that they can disappear .. so it seems that would kill the idea of a long soak. However, I saw that the info on uoguide said that the longer that you let them sit, the more can can catch....

I think I read that it was something like a 1 in 10 chance to disappear. Maybe the traps won't disappear if they pass that first check?

I also saw a video that looked like a boat can drive over the floats. If that's true, maybe they did intend to let people leave them out?

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The traps are a really nasty thing. While it is fun in the beginning, it gets annoying. Especially when you are on your first quest for crabs/lobsters. Changes that are needed for lobster traps:
- lower the rate of loosing them
- increase reaction time, when they are 'blobbing'
- increase the chance to catch a specific species, if you have the quest for one

tips:
You can set out more than one trap at a time. For me 4 worked best, becourse i dont need to move with them. I can handle 4 traps at a time from a single spot of my ship. When you set the traps out, make a rest on 1-2 seconds between them. So that you know, when the next one will be ready, after the first one started bobbing. Every bob means one catch. Dont wait too long, or there are too many inside and the trap will sink. (Up to 4 is possible, 3 are already rare.) It seems like spots can be fished clear very fast with/for traps. I move my ship, when 1 or two of my 4 traps haven't cought something. (You know ... the 2 seconds when it should be ready but isnt.) Dont hesitate to pull empty traps. You will only get confused with the order of setted traps, if you let the empty ones too long within the waters. (And I am not shure, fi they have an internal wear down depending on the time, they were set up.) Someone else suggested to me to set out 10-15 traps on a long pier but i havent tried yet.

Some numbers. To get my first 10 quest-lobsters (spiney lobsters) I got/lost
- 59 lobster traps
- 45 + 51 lobsters (normal ones, facing both directions, i suppose the rate normal vs uncommon changes with increased fishing skill)
- 19 crusty lobster
- 12 fred lobster
- 13 hummer lobster
- 11 shovel-nose lobster
- 17 rock lobster
- 10 spiney lobster (my quest ones, i stopped after i got 10)
- 51 + 37 crabs (see above at normal lobsters)
- 15 blue crab
- 15 apple crab
- 16 king crab
- 14 dungeness crab
- 18 snow crab
- 17 rock

This is all with gm fishing. My second request was for ... can you guess? ... 15 spiney lobsters. Forunately i got invited into a fishers co-op project, where you donate your spare catches and pick out what you need, so the second one was done fast.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what I find easier is to actually use a normal small boat (the old type) and then put out 8 or 9 traps...they are all within an easy reach..with the new boat it is a bit of a hassle running around when you see the "bob" come up

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I discovered on test is, reaction time is irrelevant. If they're going down, they're going down. Even with the thing highlighted and clicking on the very first bob it will still go down.

I have done a page on fishing quests, if anyone cares to read it.
Fishing Quests
I've also majorly re-worked the ships guide.
Shipborne Travel and Adventure
Yes that I have observed to..if the "bob" comes up you usually have enough time to pull in the trap..if it is too fast even doubleclicking it wont help..its lost...well knowing that I am not "terribly" in a hurry anymore

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It looks to me like if there are two reason for a trap to go down:
One cant be stopped, course it is instant. (Sometimes after a *bob* or two and sometimes even without.)
The other one happens, when your trap gets too full. When the *bob*s are coming fast, you have a chance to pull the trap out. But you have to be very fast for that. This happens when you get 4 *bob*s in a row on a single trap. After the fourth/with the fourth the trap is sunk. (I am not fully shure about this one, course I already was able to pull a trap with 4 catches out of the water, but usually those simply sink. For recognition: every *bob* means one crab/lobster within the trap.)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, normal crabs and lobsters (either facing) are 1 stone each. All named species are 5 stone each.

I've got my hold set up with 6 fish boxes (1 for one facing, 2 for the other, each for shallow & deep), one crab box and one lobster box.

Any excess going over 400 stone goes into a ninth box as overflow, as I'm currently at fish totals that, so long as I don't get the exact same critters as the previous one, I can fill any new quest from fish/crustaceans on hand.

Frodo Baggins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that if we are going to lose the lobster nets - we should randomly fish them up every once and a while - just like the scales. Instead up pulling up a fish you might have a lobster net tangled in your line...

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started to wonder, why those traps are not made craftable. My carpenter already can make very nice fishing rods and my fisher now has sunk about 140 traps.

A

anna anomalous

since everyone seems to be having issues with collecting lobsters and crabs, i will share what has worked for me. the first thing to understand is the longer you leave your trap out the more crabs/lobsters you will catch. also, there is no limit to how many traps you can deploy at once. i've read some of you are throwing 4 down, which is fine, but i've come here to share with you the idea of throwing down upwards toward 50-75 at a time. simply coat an entire dockside with them or use a rowboat to place multiple rows of traps. once i'm finished setting the 50-75th trap, i head back over to where i started and begin picking up (remember to use shift+control when picking them up!!)

i know some of you are saying, hey they're all just going to disappear in the water. yes, it is true some will disappear, but only some. when i throw about 50 at a time, i get back roughly 30-40. the chance for your trap to be pulled under the water is only proc'd (programmed random occurrence) when it *bobs*. this means you would have to be catching them for it to be sinking under. i say let it sit for a good 2-3 minutes and then pull them up. i believe, pulling them up right away often limits the catch to low numbers and non-named lobsters/crabs (such as the elusive blue or king crabs).by the time i'm finished collecting the traps (about 5-6 minutes), i'm overloaded with lobsters/crabs and off sailing to my next destination.

i will also suggest that those of you using UOAssist might want to set 2 macros to double click a lobster trap facing south and one facing north, then edit them to 'use item type'. you can both place your trap and loot any you have in your bag.

let me know how this works out for you all. i haven't had any issues with lobster/crab collecting using this method.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
since everyone seems to be having issues with collecting lobsters and crabs, i will share what has worked for me. the first thing to understand is the longer you leave your trap out the more crabs/lobsters you will catch. also, there is no limit to how many traps you can deploy at once. i've read some of you are throwing 4 down, which is fine, but i've come here to share with you the idea of throwing down upwards toward 50-75 at a time. simply coat an entire dockside with them or use a rowboat to place multiple rows of traps. once i'm finished setting the 50-75th trap, i head back over to where i started and begin picking up (remember to use shift+control when picking them up!!)

i know some of you are saying, hey they're all just going to disappear in the water. yes, it is true some will disappear, but only some. when i throw about 50 at a time, i get back roughly 30-40. the chance for your trap to be pulled under the water is only proc'd (programmed random occurrence) when it *bobs*. this means you would have to be catching them for it to be sinking under. i say let it sit for a good 2-3 minutes and then pull them up. i believe, pulling them up right away often limits the catch to low numbers and non-named lobsters/crabs (such as the elusive blue or king crabs).by the time i'm finished collecting the traps (about 5-6 minutes), i'm overloaded with lobsters/crabs and off sailing to my next destination.

i will also suggest that those of you using UOAssist might want to set 2 macros to double click a lobster trap facing south and one facing north, then edit them to 'use item type'. you can both place your trap and loot any you have in your bag.

let me know how this works out for you all. i haven't had any issues with lobster/crab collecting using this method.
Hey nice one..well I prefer the rowboat method...less stress running up and down the coastline :lol: With a rowboat I place around 11 of them in easy reach and the results are ok to...I usually place my rowboat off my main ship

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually I have to agree ... the more, the better. Around 10 seems to be a good number. It speeds doing lobster/crab quests a lot. (When compared to my 4 traps at a time before.)

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what I find easier is to actually use a normal small boat (the old type) and then put out 8 or 9 traps...they are all within an easy reach..with the new boat it is a bit of a hassle running around when you see the "bob" come up
Rowboat works the best at the stern of the boat. typically get out 10 have gotten out 11 once.

A

anna anomalous

remember guys you can move the boat and place more, i steer the boat a bit to the left and place another row. do it multiple times and place even more than 10. i promise the results are worth it.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow. I came here looking for why 4 of my 6 lobster traps have sunk, all in less than 2 minutes of soaking. It appears that this isn't a bug and that for some unknown reason it's been designed this way. I wish I could tell what the quests are going to be because I would definitely decline them. Way too expensive. I have two crab quests now and it's going to cost me a fortune to fill them since I have to continually buy new traps.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow. I came here looking for why 4 of my 6 lobster traps have sunk, all in less than 2 minutes of soaking. It appears that this isn't a bug and that for some unknown reason it's been designed this way. I wish I could tell what the quests are going to be because I would definitely decline them. Way too expensive. I have two crab quests now and it's going to cost me a fortune to fill them since I have to continually buy new traps.
what i have learned to do is take 25 traps and set them in the water in a line sailing forward a bit till I get them all in a row and then sail backwards to the first one and start picking them all up,I usually can get 15-17 full traps and I will either empty the traps or set the reamaining traps till all 25 are full.I have filled up quick on crabs/lobsters in a short time.the only time I loose traps doing this is when I wait too long for the second "bob" or I answer phone.

BTW i use the Britania boat.it is such a big beatiful behemoth.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow! A more than 2 year old threat about trap fishing. :D Remember that High Seas was new when this threat was started. Several changes went into fishing after this discusssions ...

A trap that stays in the water for 1 minute, has a chance to catch something after that minute. If it stays in the waters it gets an additional chance after another 60 seconds but it also gets the chance to sink. Loosing 4 out of 6 traps after 2 minutes is a very unlucky ratio. Nowadays most of those of us, that fish craps and lobsters for the quests, set out multiple traps and pick them up after the first 60 seconds. That way we dont loose traps and/or cought crabs.

N

nightwolf

Wow! A more than 2 year old threat about trap fishing. :D Remember that High Seas was new when this threat was started. Several changes went into fishing after this discusssions ...

A trap that stays in the water for 1 minute, has a chance to catch something after that minute. If it stays in the waters it gets an additional chance after another 60 seconds but it also gets the chance to sink. Loosing 4 out of 6 traps after 2 minutes is a very unlucky ratio. Nowadays most of those of us, that fish craps and lobsters for the quests, set out multiple traps and pick them up after the first 60 seconds. That way we dont loose traps and/or cought crabs.
I'am new to fishing with high seas, where is the floating fishing market at?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry, I know of no such location on official shards. The safest dungeon fish location I know of is Mushroom Cave - where the entrance to Twisted Weald is in Ilshenar. The only fishing village I know of is Fisherman's Reach in Ter Mur. You can fish deepwater fish from the end of the pier, but you can do that at Bucc's Den or Magincia too.

N

nightwolf

I'm sorry, I know of no such location on official shards. The safest dungeon fish location I know of is Mushroom Cave - where the entrance to Twisted Weald is in Ilshenar. The only fishing village I know of is Fisherman's Reach in Ter Mur. You can fish deepwater fish from the end of the pier, but you can do that at Bucc's Den or Magincia too.
The place I was thinking about is in the FAQ about an uderworld where the mudpuppy and red herring quest are. Iam pretty sure thats the place I was thinking about.