• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

where are the mares?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

The easiest place to tame them is in Malas. They spawn out in the open near Umbra.

They also spawn in Ilshenar, but there is a pretty strong spawn to fight through (when compared to the Malas spawn)...and there is a chance you will find a paragon Nightmare, which you cannot tame.

You can also find them in Wind (Fel), as well as Covetous (Fel)...if you feel like getting ganked.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hunter's guide lists the locations and you can find some decent maps of the locations if you need them too. http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=hunters&id=248

And I wouldn't worry about Fel, it's only the monsters you're likely to see in numbers at Wind, I went there for some quiet greater dragon hunting and didn't see a living soul. Pity, because being a stealth herder in among the GDs would have been quite good odds in my favour *evil grin*

Wenchy

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Actually, I was saying 'getting ganked' about Covetous.

I don't remember seeing anyone in Wind in ages.

Z

Zodiac19

Covetous in Fel is relatively safe as there is no champ spawn in that dungeon. One lone nightmare spawns near the entrance to level 2. I have only come across one person while hunting there and it was a blue that just ran on by in search of something else.

U

uoBuoY

You can recall into the Malas spawn but I find it difficult because a single Mare spawns in a rather large area and it can take time to find. Also there is a lot of nuisance spawn to deal with. In the middle of taming you probably have to deal with other spawn.

The Ilshenar spawn takes maybe 2-3 minutes to run to but once you're there, there is a single Mare that almost insta-spawns and no other spawn in a very small area. There's more opportunity to sample a lot more Mare in a short time. You must always be on alert for a paragon spawn but they're easy to run from.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Covetous in Fel is relatively safe as there is no champ spawn in that dungeon. One lone nightmare spawns near the entrance to level 2. I have only come across one person while hunting there and it was a blue that just ran on by in search of something else.
Thanks for the info!

Last time I went to Fel Covetous was around 2004, and I was jumped by 5 or 6 reds.

I see no need to put up with blocking and ganks while taming.

But if no one is around, it adds another spot to tame Mares.

Thanks

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, it's safe in Covetous. Well, as safe as you can get :)

Just follow the usual rules of Fel, take only what you can afford to lose in your pack and go for it. And a stealth template gets you out of pretty much any iffy situation if you use it wisely :) Covetous is a good spot if you want to work the spawn without running around finding the next mare.

Wenchy

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My curiosity got the best of me and I had to check out the nightmare spawn spot in the Terathan Keep on Baja. Have only been there a few times and it wasn't for the purpose of taming anything.

While I had no trouble getting into the keep and running to the spawn spot, it wasn't a place I'd normally recommend for taming stuff. Couldn't mark a rune and the nightmare had lots of company in the form of various ranks of ophidians, a drake, and a greater dragon.

Y

YuriGaDaisukiDa

ya covetous is great, i actualy tamed a pitch black mare there today

also, since there is a lone spawn, you can farm it for gold/items, while you wate for the perfect stat one to spawn

i myself have never searched for a perfect spawn pet, but maybe i should =]

R

RichDC

My personal favourite is in ilsh south of humility...

Little bit of a run, but you only have to run through earths and the occasional fire, Acid ele spawns next to mare area but can be easily lead away.

Then your left with a single mare...tame the first one use it to kill the rest, if and when a Para spawns dont worry bout healing the mare, stay still and keep EV's up, should drop without much problem.

Got my Perfect pitch black mare there (525,125,125 about6 of max total resist)