• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] When were [Exceptional] items introduced?

T

Trevelyan

I know that the changes to make items "of exceptional quality" were brought in in late 1999, but I was wondering when items that said "made by" or "sewn by" were introduced?

I also have noticed that sewn by items do not have an exceptional tag, despite their being "exceptional" as a tag.

Anyone who has any more info to add, I would be very appreciative :)

Thanks!

Radugast

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I remember correctly the [Exceptional] tag was around the 3rd Dawn expansion. Thats when they messed with the overhead text, tags, and graphics. One of the main reasons I decided to take a break was because of that old 3d client.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I remember some items being added later. For instance you couldn't make exceptional food with a makers mark until quite recently.
Other things I am thinking late 2002 - early 2003? (that it started reading [exceptional] under the item name...)

T

Trevelyan

I am almost 100% sure that the [exceptional] tag was previous to "of exceptional quality". One of the most overwhelming pieces of evidence of this is the lack of [Exceptional] items around today.

Now, there are some [Exceptional] items around that are different ore colors, although these may have been enhanced. This might indicate that items could (still) be made up until the maker's mark patch was introduced, around the same time that the coloured ore patch was introduced.

Anyway, i'm almost certain that "item of exceptional quality" items were around at the earliest of November 23 1999 (in the publish notes on uo.com somewhere). Notice that you have no GM items of Exceptional Quality? It seems that these items were converted to regularly named items after AoS and now have their crafted name under the item's name. After AoS, you had no more crafted exceptional quality items.

So I think that the items were crafted prior to November 1999. But I just don't know if this was always the case since UO was born, or if [Exceptional] was part of a publish.

T

Trevelyan

Hmm ok, so here from November 1998:

• Blacksmiths who are GMs or near GMs will be able to craft exceptional breastplates.
  • When a grandmaster blacksmith crafts an exceptional item, the item will have a "maker's mark"--its name will have "crafted by (name)" appended to it.
  • It will be possible to craft exceptional and below average quality bows, crossbows, and heavy crossbows. These will have differing damages just like exceptional quality smithed weapons do. In addition, they will have maker's marks if they are exceptional and are crafted by grandmaster bowyers.
And from January 1999:
  • Exceptional items made by a grandmaster tailor will carry a maker's mark.

Finally, one I found previously, November 23rd 1999:
Maker's Mark

Some of the trade skills will be enhanced to allow for more flexibility and personalization of their wares. These enhancements will affect Tailors, Carpenters, Blacksmiths, and Tinkers.
  • In addition to Blacksmiths and Tailors – Bowcrafters, Carpenters and Tinkers will now be able to craft "exceptional" items.
  • Exceptional marking works as follows: As an example, an exceptional katana made by a non-Grandmaster smith or made by a Grandmaster smith who chooses not to put his makers mark, will now say, "a katana of exceptional quality". An exceptional katana made by a Grandmaster smith who chooses to place his maker's mark on it will say, "a katana crafted with exceptional quality by..." This will be true for all exceptional items.
  • When a Grandmaster creates an exceptional item, a window will appear asking if they wish to place their mark on the item. Selecting "okay" will place the creator’s name on the item when examined (single clicked). Selecting "cancel" will not put the maker's mark on the item.

So from the wording, I gather that:

- Exceptional items for smiths and tailors were around before November 1998

- Makers marks for Smiths were introduced in November 1998

- Makers marks for Tailors were introduced in January 1999

- Bowcrafters, Carpenters and Tinkers were able to make exceptional, and marked, items from November 1999

- Items from November 1999 were changed in their wording to *now* say "a katana of exceptional quality"

There are a few things that don't add up here, though.

- There is no mention of items being *made* by or *sewn* by. Only "crafted" by.
- There is at least one tinkered item (Mortar and Pestle made by Oceane) that is around (and make carpentered boxes, etc) yet apparently carpentry/tinkering exceptional items, as well as makers marks, was introduced at the same time that the wording was changed, indicating that either the wording was NOT changed, or that [Exceptional] items were still craftable after this date, or were craftable before this date for all skills.

I have a kilt a leather gloves sewn by someone, yet a cloak made by someone (with [Exceptional] in the name). There is no real indication as to which came from when, and why. There is no real way to see here when this was changed either and at which point which skills were able to craft what.

If anyone has a long memory, let us know :)

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Feel free to come by and examine my collection anytime Trevelyan, I have a lot of the items you have mentioned. I've always found this particular time period interesting and would like to see any conclusions you come to.

I racked my brain trying to see if I could actually remember any answers (if they were ever there) of the questions you are asking. I played during those time periods but all I did was mine and kill things/people and took for granted the items that I enjoy so much now.

Athelas [Treasure Trove] Museum, Atlantic

T

Trevelyan

Ah HA here we go!!

An update to the November 1999 publish on December 10, 1999:

"The [exceptional] tag will be removed and replaced with a new system of marking exceptional items. As an example, an exceptional katana made by a non-Grandmaster smith or made by a Grandmaster smith who chooses not to put his makers mark, will now say, "a katana of exceptional quality". An exceptional katana made by a Grandmaster smith who chooses to place his maker's mark on it will say, "a katana crafted with exceptional quality by..." This will be true for all exceptional items.

Confirmation that the [Exceptional] tag was removed. So I think that it is safe to say that by December, these items couldn't be crafted any longer. Perhaps for a while between November and December they could still be and this included tinkered and fletchered items?