• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] When making recipe items with a runic...

C

cademord

What's the downside to making, for example, a silver-etched mace instead of a plain diamond mace?
I see lots (well, for macing) of runic diamond maces, but no ruby, emerald etc.
Where's the downside? Doesn't using a recipe just give you a bit extra on the weapon? What am I missing out on?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Silver-etched maces have only two real down sides - you don't want to use them against repond creatures, and they require a specific new mining gem type.

The other gem types have te down sides of being relatively weak bonuses, and unlikely to bring back in the cost of the gem to make.

So, just making the standard diamond maces are more economical, as they only require metal.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i thought with aos they did away with the slayers not working on opposing monsters?

C

cademord

Ah, I managed to get about 300-500 of each gem in an IDOC a while back. so I may as well make ruby/emerald etc.?

Thanks!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They did - and then they put it back in around ML's launch, as the devs then apparently didn't know that the AoS-era devs had took it out on purpose, and thought it not working was a "bug".

I had to retire my favorite sword as a result (an undead/repond double slayer broadsword from the Haven new Paladin quest)

S

Sir Kenga

Basara is it still possible to get double slayer sword on newbie quest? Can u give details?

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I can tell, you can't do the old Paladin quest as a newbie anymore. You can still get double slayers from the silver-etched mace though.

5% Luck

Im a fan of the ruby mace. Fire rubys are kind of the less used gem around. I fnt the ruby maces tend to be a lttle better but cost to cost stick with diamond maces. If your like me any benefit is worth the cost and the 5-8k you get for each gem is worth it as these tend to sell a lot less often.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As far as I can tell, you can't do the old Paladin quest as a newbie anymore. You can still get double slayers from the silver-etched mace though.
Sorry Set - I believe you are incorrect.

With the latest crafting fixes that eliminated the 'double rolls' they also eliminated double slayer rolls on the recipe items like silver etched mace and Slayer Longbow.

If you go to test center and whack out 100 or so silver etched maces with runics - I don't think you will find a double slayer. If you do - please post to correct me.

Edit : Ok, ripped off 35 with a val hammer on test center and ZERO double slayers. Now it is possible not to get one in 35 but given each one from a val hammer gets 5 properties and not one out of 35*5 (175 properties) showed a slayer - I think this further validates my understanding. No more double slayer silver etched maces. *Tucks away Reptile/Undead and Dragon/Undead double slayer*

5% Luck

I burnt 12 bronze hammers on luck blades thats 12X35 420 white pearls later and nothing over 140 luck. This double rolls thing must have applyed to the LUCK BLADE as well because I can see no reason in 420 rolls not to get even one over 140 luck. I personally think that sux but if you have a 160 luck blade wow did its value just skyrocket!

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I burnt 12 bronze hammers on luck blades thats 12X35 420 white pearls later and nothing over 140 luck. This double rolls thing must have applyed to the LUCK BLADE as well because I can see no reason in 420 rolls not to get even one over 140 luck. I personally think that sux but if you have a 160 luck blade wow did its value just skyrocket!
Why?

160 Luckblade + 40 luck shield = 200 luck

Two handed swords of prosperity = 200 luck

Luckblades not really that important IMHO

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The real benefit of the Luckblade/shield combo is getting the weapon bonuses (other than the luck) PLUS those bonuses of the shield.