• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

When did the JWilson slimes come back?

G

They're back now?

I thought they completely got rid of slimes. Interesting.

I

imported_Ilysess

Well considering slimes are needed to get the keys for Paroxsysmus I cant imagine they would get rid of them altogether.

G

Not just slimes

Jwilsons

They appeared after J Wilson of some PC gaming magazine named UO the "coaster of the year".

J

jagarr

<blockquote><hr>

They're back now?

[/ QUOTE ]

you know, until this very moment i never realized slimes got phased out. wow.

G

They werent phased out.

The name Jwilson was removed from them.

G

Where did you see the Jwilson at?

I checked despise but there werent any at the spawn.

G

<blockquote><hr>

They're back now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Slimes are also needed for the Haq's quest now and then.

G

I hope there back, I always thought that was a pretty funny statement from the devs.
Long live the jwilson slime

I

imported_Sarphus

I loved the jwilson slimes. J wilson imo was a bad reporter... He basically said UO is a bad game because when he logged on to check it out, he couldn't just stand around the bank begging people for stuff and having them give him everything he wanted.

His biggest gripe was that he couldn't be anti-social and have the players give him everything he wanted. So basically, he didn't rate the game... he gave the game a bad rating because players found his anti-social behavior annoying.

History showed him for the fool he is, though. UO is still here 10+ yrs later. I think his review of UO was probably the worst game review EVER.

G

They are no longer extinct? I know "slimes" in general are still ingame, but I thought Jwilson was not.

G

I'm not sure if you've seen these yet, but The Escapist has, imo, the best video game reviewer currently in the business.

Check him out.

Edit: Warning, He's a tad bit crude. =P

G

Hail: As far as role playing games go, the worst review ever was when Sony Playstation made their first RPG, called, "Beyound the beyound". When the testers are all throwing their controllers at the sceen in disgust and frustration, just imangine what the normal player does?

ps: I only broke 2 controllers............ :)

L

Lord_Spartacus

Looks like they came back after this mornings server-up. I'm noticing them where ever there is a rat champ spawn now.

I

imported_Sarphus

By worst review ever, I meant he gave UO a bad review and the game's still kicking 10+ yrs after its release. If the game was as bad as he claimed it would have died like so many other mmos...

I wasn't saying he gave UO a bad review (though he did). I was saying he did a bad job of reviewing.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

<blockquote><hr>

Looks like they came back after this mornings server-up. I'm noticing them where ever there is a rat champ spawn now.

[/ QUOTE ]

They need to keep 'em in...

G

If memory serves, JWilson passed away and it was at that time they were removed from UO and just the "a slime" remained.

Perhaps current inclusion was unintentional, and perhaps it was a 10th Anni easter egg/tip of the hat now that sufficient time has elapsed from the reviewer's passing.

I'd like to think the latter.

J

JoyousGard

AHHH 1998. What a year!

UO should generate some new bad press and poke fun at the new critics.

If it's true the guy is dead, it is in poor taste to bring him back to life as a slime.

G

That's a matter of opinion.

I think It would be awesome to be remembered in UO (even as a slime, I've been called it before).

But this is most likely just an error that wasnt supposed to happen.

Its a shame I can't tame one and keep it though =(

G

That's a tamed, renamed, released slime. The original jwilsons were all lowercase letters to match all the other creatures.

One of our best thieves in BUB was named "a jwilson" until a GM took his "a" away.

L

LordIssac

<blockquote><hr>

That's a tamed, renamed, released slime. The original jwilsons were all lowercase letters to match all the other creatures.

One of our best thieves in BUB was named "a jwilson" until a GM took his "a" away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. You cant tame champ spawn slimes...oh and the fact I was at a champ spawn and saw like 50 spawn with my own eyes

I

imported_Galdrion

then its a bug... i stumbled pass a few a JWilson when i ran through a swamp looking for pink rabbits... even killed them for bout 30 min until i decided it wasnt a trick...

G

Long Live the jwilson!!!! I summoned one once years ago. It was more fun than summoning a llama vortex.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If memory serves, JWilson passed away and it was at that time they were removed from UO and just the "a slime" remained.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems to me the in-game JWilsons have been gone a good deal longer than a year. As of a year ago, Johnny Wilson was still alive and writing for Manifesto Games, a site he and Greg Costikyan launched in either late 2005 or early 2006.

In fact, I can't seem to find anything that indicates Dr. Wilson isn't still alive today.

Edit: OxAO beat me to it!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Johnny L. Wilson is still alive writing computer game books as far as I know.

he also started this web site a couple years ago:
http://www.manifestogames.com/

[/ QUOTE ]I've searched and searched, and frankly I have no idea where I managed to draw the conclusion that Johnny Wilson is pushing up daisies. I'm just going to hold my hands up and claim total brain poot on this.

I was told conservatively 6-9mos recovery from a mild brain injury. I am slowly beginning to believe it.

Apologies to Johnny Wilson/Dr J for killing him off before his time.

I

imported_Hinotori

I had to run out and confirm this. I remembered them from the past. After infecting half the swamp by my house, I found one.

I

imported_Sarphus

Don't worry about it. Brain poot is what made JWilson famous lol

He writes one really poor review and BOOM! He's immortalized as a slime