• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

When are we going to have a shelf presence again?

• Thread starter Prince Caspian
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
P

Prince Caspian

Theme it after me, devs. Let's call it "Prince Caspian's Ice Cream Social." Spiffy evil-looking font and a Hildebrandt picture of me, Mondain, Dawn and Inu all wearing ribboned straw hats and having a rocky road double decker.

That'll put some butts in seats.

L

Lord Drakelord

I would like to see a shelf presence as well. I miss not seeing the titles in my favor software stores.

O

onthefifty

i saw two copies of ninth anniversary edition in herald square gamestop store in manhattan on friday :thumbup1:

A

Arbuckel

The lack of shelf-presence for the 10th anniversary was/is quite disconcerting.

T

T_Amon_from_work

Theme it after me, devs. Let's call it "Prince Caspian's Ice Cream Social." Spiffy evil-looking font and a Hildebrandt picture of me, Mondain, Dawn and Inu all wearing ribboned straw hats and having a rocky road double decker.

That'll put some butts in seats.
Shelf presence would go VERY far in getting it in the face of prospective new players. Not just WalMart, but other outlets for gaming items.

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think there should be a shelf presence until they can fix the major issues and polish KR up more. I think it does more harm to place a 1/2 finished client on the shelf.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe in 3 months for the 11th age. :popcorn: No box for the 10th age sorta just added to the general feeling that the devs were just letting the game slowly die off.

H

HeathBar

I hope so... I finally talked a friend into playing. We went to out to buy the disc and couldn't find one. We checked Wal Mart and a few game stores and couldn't find ML or 9th anny box :sad4:

P

Prince Caspian

An online game without a shelf presence sends a clear message: the game is dying.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is a niche game now. I very much doubt it'll get much of a shelf presence even if they do release a new box. When 8th anniversary came out, in my local area [Miami], each EB Games got maybe 2 copies max and no restock, and Best Buy had none, period. Stores are not going to stock a niche game that won't sell. Some local stores still have unsold copies of UO dating back to AOS and 7th anniversary boxes.

Most future expansions are probably going to be digital distribution like ML was.

P

Prince Caspian

A player base is constantly eroding. If it doesnt have a shelf presence, new players won't even know it exists.

Nostalgic peeps coming back to UO is the only influx we have, and that isn't gonna be nearly enough to compensate the people leaving the game because:

1-the game is old
2-cheaters are never punished
3-EA obviously cares very little about this game

And those three are causing us to hemmorage players. I would wager that EA got a hell of a lot more money from duplicate accounts (for extra housing, shill guards for cheaters, etc) than they ever got from new players.

EA is letting the clock run down. At the moment, UO is obviously still profitable, or they would have closed it down. But I think right now its like an old arcade game in a video arcade... it makes enough return to cover its operation costs, and a bit more, and that bit more gets less and less. Once they cant get any more profit from it, they pull the plug.

Right now, as far as EA sees it (I am assuming), UO is that battered old Donkey Kong console... old, neglected, obsolete... but it still brings in enough silver to justify its existance. But eventually this exodus without influx will seal its doom and EA will tell us to hit the bricks.

J

Joyous2K

Don't waste your breath on trolls.

Just another foolio who thinks spewing hateful words on a message board makes him a big man.
QFT...

This is off topic, but I read a non-UO quotation somewhere today that used the word "untrammelized."

OP: This is a virtual shelf. I haven't had a box of UO since the lizard snakemen guys were released. Take a look at the game, seriously. It's too big, too bulky, too many veterans, too difficult to learn, too many bugs and undocumented loopholes, the highly prized detail work of the original game was never maintained or improved on, this is just a shell now.

Who is going to buy it? Maybe retirement homes can stock up on it for all their retirees or something. There's not many 18-34s out there that will say "UO is the perfect fit for me."

My I am feeling so big and manly now. I am going to eat some flapjacks now and maybe wrestle a bear. But that is how I feel. It would be great if they had boxes on the shelves. The box cover art is the most attractive piece of the whole package. But we all remember "Don't judge a book by its cover!"

G

GAMBIT35

It Can't have a shelf presence anymore. I know how much you love the "graphics" but putting 2d or even worse KR graphics on a box would make it unsellable.