• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What's the trick - Cu Taming

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So last night I decided it was foolish to have my tamer remain human, and have to rely on a pair of boots to ride his Cu-Sidhe, and not be able to tame them. So I did the human to elf quest, and headed off to try my hand at taming one. I was jeweled up to 120 taming, and somewhere around 110 lore. Of 5 taming attempts I was killed almost immediately 3 times, successfully failed a taming attempt once, and angered the beast the last time and escaped bleeding all the way out to the exit to the weld.

Is there some trick to this? I was on foot, standing as far away as I could get and still be close enough to tame, and was attempting to lead tame it. Should I be using paralyze on it first? I thought that would cause it to agro me every time, and give me less of a chance to tame it.

I'd really apperciate any help you fine people could lend me.

Z

Zodiac19

If you lead tame these on foot you will be doggy food. Ride an ethy. When i'm farming I can usually get bit twice before I need to run and heal but that is sometimes dicey(armor needs max cold and enegry). What I usually do is spam my taming macro untill I get the tame in progress message then run about six steps ahead and invis. Alot of time I get reveled right away but it is enough to break the agro and stay close untill the taming attempt is complete one way or the other.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I tried taming them on foot once lol. Never again!

Simplest way is to be on an ethy/1 slot mount and get the pup as your last target. Then walk just within taming distance and hold down the tame last target key while walking away steadily. There's a bit of a rhythm to it, but it comes with practice.

Also helps if you have good armour on, and I've also been known to bless and mini heal just so I could take an extra bite before death. God those things killed me a lot when I was on dialup!

Slightly more fiddly and in need of good timing is the para taming method, but I don't use that on keepers (extra skill loss) just for turning the spawn round quicker. You need eval for it to hold the pup.

Basically you para the pup and with practice learn how long it'll be before it breaks loose. You hold the tame last target macro down while close to the para'd cu and should you get a tame attempt going, you immediately invis yourself so the cu won't jump forward and attack. I back off a few tiles extra before casting just to cover myself, though I did get really good at stopping pups at my feet. Did I say this could get dangerous? :D Sometimes you'll start to tame right as the para wears off and you end up lead taming, but after a bit of practice you can make it look oh-so easy.

One thing I don't always mention - if you're "bleeding" when you finish taming a cu it will still try and eat you when you'd expect it to be friendly. DO NOT call it to you until the bleed wears off and you've invis'd. I did that the first time I tamed mid-bleed thinking "he'll heal me now" only to find he erm...didn't ;)

Wenchy

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so no more walking up to them and trying to pet them into submission. I think tonight I might invest in a nice suit for my tamer. Right now he's wearing a scrapped together 100% LRC suit with crap resists. Sounds like that's part of the problem.

So...
no taming on foot
set up a macro to invis self after taming begins
say a few tiles away at all times
get a suit that will actually protect me

Anything else I should add to the checklist?

X

Xanithor

1. get a 1 slot mount ethy or just a plain horse.
2. I like to stand with them facing away from me so I got a better chance to not be bit.
3. Follow the taming advice given above.

O

Old Man of UO

Wenchy forgot to mention that you need EI to para-tame cu sidhe. I don't have EI and can't paralyze them. Even when I did have EI, I never did get the time down just right. So I use the lead taming method.

Believe it or not, if you lead tame, it is easier to do using the KR client. Set up a macro to tame current target, and set it to repeat 10 times. So I only have to target the cu sidhe, get within two steps and press the taming macro and immediately start walking away and stay exactly two steps away as you tame. Once the "you are taming" message comes up, go to 4 steps away. Too far away and you stop taming.

OH, there is a special stutter step you should learn so that you stay just two steps in front of the cu sidhe. It is just a quick left click-release in the direction you want to go. With the taming macro repeating itself you just need to stay one to two steps in front and keep doing the stutter step until it is tamed. Get the timing right, and no lag and I never get bit.

One other thing that helps. Sometimes the dog is surrounded by changelings or between a pinch point. Go into war mode and attack the cu sidhe from a distance to get it to start following you. Then stutter-walk in front of it and start taming.

Z

Zodiac19

One thing I don't always mention - if you're "bleeding" when you finish taming a cu it will still try and eat you when you'd expect it to be friendly. DO NOT call it to you until the bleed wears off and you've invis'd. I did that the first time I tamed mid-bleed thinking "he'll heal me now" only to find he erm...didn't ;)

Wenchy
Soooo been there done that :)

S

Sweety

I prefer the lead taming method. It takes some practice but you'll get the hang of it fairly quick.
Pretty much the only material thing you need is a suit of armor with high cold and energy resist (i think, if you lore one you can see what dmg's they do). With this you won't need to heal yourself until you get bit twice. And depending on where your taming an ethy. If you tame up in the sand you can only walk so an ethy isn't necessary. If you tame in the sand what you do is walk around the little mountain 1 step ahead of the cu. By taming up there you can keep a better eye on the spawn.

M

mutau

I prefer the Peace taming method with the macro for last target. Having the peace there is a second cushion that works well for Cu's and other high level tames.

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One major mistake that everyone makes not just tamers is that they use a boomstick as their weapon in hand for the lrc. With no macing on a character this is like saying "Hey i am going to defend myself with no chance that i will succeed but here i am!" Even with a -29 magery item equipped you have a slight chance if you have decent magery. Swords of Prosperity or Staff of the Magi are good -0 magery items for these situations.

Other than that then all the other suggestions already posted are great.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The downside with swords or any other functioning weapon, is if you donk the cu on the nose during a tame attempt it can break the attempt because the pup becomes "too angry to continue taming". It doesn't happen often if dex is low, but you wouldn't want to break your own tame attempts when it's a blaze pup with a few other tamers on standby ;)

I prefer to stay out of range and have my equipment and character setup so they're able to withstand the occasional bite while not upsetting the dog. The best way of defending yourself from a cu is to stay just beyond the teeth though.

Wenchy

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dumb question and it is "on topic" since it is about a trick to taming cu's.I remember when ML first came out there was an exploit( no other way to call it) allowing non-tamer necros to summon wolf and automatically be alowed to tame cu's,now the very next patch corrected this.But I think they still allowed this for necros as long as they have the correct tame/lore for controlling a cu.Is this still the case?Becasue I know there aren't many, if any at all tamers with necro on their template.

O

Old Man of UO

... Becasue I know there aren't many, if any at all tamers with necro on their template.
I think you are wrong there... quite a powerful Champ spawn template. Check out some of the later posts in the Warrior forums where they talk about that.

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...I think tonight I might invest in a nice suit for my tamer. Right now he's wearing a scrapped together 100% LRC suit with crap resists. Sounds like that's part of the problem...
One side point on the suit. A Cu Sidhe does 50% energy and 50% cold damage so do you do not need an expensive “70s suit” for taming then. Max out cold and energy on your suit and you are good to go as far as defending against the occasional nip whilst trying to get the mutt to listen to your sweet voice of reason.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you are wrong there... quite a powerful Champ spawn template. Check out some of the later posts in the Warrior forums where they talk about that.

I knew warriors were using necro to make either a sampire or a whammy in fact I am thinking of doing that to my swordsman,but I wasn't aware of players adding necro to a tamer template.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my virtue armor is getting dusty, I decided I'll just toss that on when I attempt to tame a pup.

G

Grimm_of_Oceania

If you lead them to the "gate" or close too, you can lead tame them and if they do attack you jump through the gate and heal. Area peace also makes this much easier.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The downside with swords or any other functioning weapon, is if you donk the cu on the nose during a tame attempt it can break the attempt because the pup becomes "too angry to continue taming". It doesn't happen often if dex is low, but you wouldn't want to break your own tame attempts when it's a blaze pup with a few other tamers on standby ;)

I prefer to stay out of range and have my equipment and character setup so they're able to withstand the occasional bite while not upsetting the dog. The best way of defending yourself from a cu is to stay just beyond the teeth though.

Wenchy
Yes, definitely but it beats dieing over and over until you get the hang of it and also the occasional lag spike. I hope you agree that Dead is worse than the "Too angry to continue taming" episode. LOL.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I made several attempts last night and am happy to report that I didn't die once. While I wasn't able to successfully tame one (I have one in the stable, so I don't need one really), I am proud that I survived multiple attempts.