• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What's the point of failing 80-90% of time to mine stone?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm mining for granite on TC1 because you still cannot copy a character to there.

I'm mining and mining away and getting 10-15 pieces of granite per 100 attempts.

Talk about stupid!

What's the point of failing at all?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This last run with four 100 use shovels produced exactly 40 granite.

There just is no reasonable logic behind this at GM skill. When you take a pickaxe to the side of a mountain of rock you do not fail to produce rock 90% of the time.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So that you buy the high quality rock hammer from the UO store :D

Well, I picked the Rock Hammer from the BOD system and it improved granite production to 20%. The hammer comes with 500 uses and I got 107 granite stones.

The Rock Hammer from the store is 100% it claims? It's $10.00US. Anyone know how many uses it has?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just do a bunch of trade orders. I've gotten as much as 180 colored granite from one trade order before.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm mining for granite on TC1 because you still cannot copy a character to there.

I'm mining and mining away and getting 10-15 pieces of granite per 100 attempts.

Talk about stupid!

What's the point of failing at all?
Why Mine for Granite on Test Server when the "Give Resources" command will provide plenty of them, as I understand ?

Also, why you need Granite on Test Server, to Test the crafting of what ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I picked the Rock Hammer from the BOD system and it improved granite production to 20%. The hammer comes with 500 uses and I got 107 granite stones.

The Rock Hammer from the store is 100% it claims? It's $10.00US. Anyone know how many uses it has?
Rock Hammer - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

The BODs Rewards 350 uses while the UOStore one 500 uses.

Question.
Is there a special, particular need for Granite that I am missing, to justify the spending of whatever it may cost from the UOStore, also considering that it will only last for 500 hits ?

Other then furniture, what else can be crafted out of Granite that would make that expense worth it ?

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything in this game is messed up. You would also figure at 120 magery you could cast spells without fizzling. How about Sacred Journey from Chivalry which fails all the time with 75 skill (Min needed is 15). Nothing in this game is 100% unless they make money, otherwise they wouldnt have to sell items like the Rock Hammers.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Is there a special, particular need for Granite that I am missing, to justify the spending of whatever it may cost from the UOStore, also considering that it will only last for 500 hits ?

Other then furniture, what else can be crafted out of Granite that would make that expense worth it ?
Garg Stone Armor for a thrower requires granite. If you have ever tried to perfect an imbued piece you would know that sometimes you have to make 50+ pieces to get the resists right for what you are looking for; that adds up to lots of granite (because I don't think stone armor is 100% exceptional craft rate either).

Everything in this game is messed up. You would also figure at 120 magery you could cast spells without fizzling. How about Sacred Journey from Chivalry which fails all the time with 75 skill (Min needed is 15). Nothing in this game is 100% unless they make money, otherwise they wouldnt have to sell items like the Rock Hammers.
What are you talking about? 120 magery DOESN'T fizzle... or at least it hasn't ever fizzled for me since I've had 120 magery on all my chars for the past... mmm when did power scrolls come out? I run 70 Chiv on my sampire and literally NEVER fail (unless maybe I'm hit and interrupted casting). Either I'm the luckiest person in the game to never fizzle either of these things as you claim at these skill levels or you are literally the unluckiest person in UO... OR you are just making up stories (I'm leaning towards this). Please don't make egregiously wrong claims to complain about the game to simply post something. Bad info is contagious :)

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Garg Stone Armor for a thrower requires granite. If you have ever tried to perfect an imbued piece you would know that sometimes you have to make 50+ pieces to get the resists right for what you are looking for; that adds up to lots of granite (because I don't think stone armor is 100% exceptional craft rate either).

What are you talking about? 120 magery DOESN'T fizzle... or at least it hasn't ever fizzled for me since I've had 120 magery on all my chars for the past... mmm when did power scrolls come out? I run 70 Chiv on my sampire and literally NEVER fail (unless maybe I'm hit and interrupted casting). Either I'm the luckiest person in the game to never fizzle either of these things as you claim at these skill levels or you are literally the unluckiest person in UO... OR you are just making up stories (I'm leaning towards this). Please don't make egregiously wrong claims to complain about the game to simply post something. Bad info is contagious :)
You may believe what you want but I Highly doubt im the only one that fizzles with 120 magery. As for Chiv. Try using Sacred Journey from a rune book at 70 Chiv and tell me you dont fail. Either way, it happens.

Malee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No one is suppose to fail at 120 magery - unless you're not running protection and get hit. Mystic and spellweaving are not fizzle proof at 120. I'm unsure about Necro since I have never used that skill.

The runebooks are known to be buggy - I sometimes cant recall using a charge. Maybe test with runes in your backpack and use the icon or a hot key.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also, it might be your LRC, not the magery skill level.

It's been a known bug, since LRC began, that sometimes 100% isn't 100%.

If you have 100% LRC EXACTLY and have no regs, there is a rare chance that a spell can fail from lack of LRC. that's why many people who remember that old bug try to make their suits 101% or higher.

It's thought that LRC from loot-generated items (as opposed to imbued or static items like doom artifacts) might be going by their pre-display intensities instead of what's displayed, so that 100% displayed total from 5 items could be as low as 99% (99% of 100% intensity, on 5 items, totalling 495% actual intensity when the displayed value should be 500%). It's NOT supposed to work like that, but you know how many systems are out there that don't work the way the devs think, and never have. It took until 2007-2008 to convince the devs to recheck the code for Smith BODs with extreme scrutiny, where they found that the LBOD issues people had been complaining about since that system went live were the result of a missing ")" in one line of code - that no one looking previously had noticed.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It took until 2007-2008 to convince the devs to recheck the code for Smith BODs with extreme scrutiny, where they found that the LBOD issues people had been complaining about since that system went live were the result of a missing ")" in one line of code - that no one looking previously had noticed.

Hooray for Wilki!

The last dev that actually improved the BOD and Reward system.