• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Cartography] What's the fastest way to gain cartography these days?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
All the old gain methods, combined with use of Scrolls of Alacrity.

Also, the "satyr method" is useful for gains at higher skill (search for that - works on any skill you can do in the twisted weald)

SouthPaw

Lore Master
All the old gain methods
So far I went to the map maker NPC in New Haven, buy a bunch of maps/scrolls from him, make whatever the Crystal Ball of Knowledge tells me is optimal gains. When my pack is full, sell back to him and repeat. Up to about 50 skill.
Any better way than that?

*EDIT*
I got up to 85 skill, very slow going now. Who's idea was it to make world maps only have 50 difficulty? I hope all the loot I get from treasure hunting is worth this grind.

Last edited:

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Maybe you can decode the cleverly drawn maps out of the dark guardian room in doom? Or plainly drawn you can buy dime for a dozen off players vendors. Im not sure right off-hand what the skill requirements are for the dif level maps, but around 90 I remember switching it up. I think selling bulk crappy t-maps would be a nice niche to fill just for this reason.

You've certainly gm'd cart since sunday, lol, but to those who run across this thread in the future:

looks like 50% success, or optimal i reckon, at 80 skill on level 4 cleverly drawn maps. Again those are the type you get from dark guardians (equivalent to a standard lich) in their trapped room in doom, with 100% drop chance. Screenied this off uoguide

Attachments

Last edited:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Maybe you can decode the cleverly drawn maps out of the dark guardian room in doom? Or plainly drawn you can buy dime for a dozen off players vendors. Im not sure right off-hand what the skill requirements are for the dif level maps, but around 90 I remember switching it up. I think selling bulk crappy t-maps would be a nice niche to fill just for this reason.

You've certainly gm'd cart since sunday, lol, but to those who run across this thread in the future:

looks like 50% success, or optimal i reckon, at 80 skill on level 4 cleverly drawn maps. Again those are the type you get from dark guardians (equivalent to a standard lich) in their trapped room in doom, with 100% drop chance. Screenied this off uoguide
Actually I'm not GM yet. Took a break to play my other characters a bit and also had to work on lock picking. At the low 90's now and using a blue scroll and logging in 1-2 times a day to stretch how long the scroll lasts. I forgot about the dark guardians 100% dropping cleverly maps so thanks for the reminder!

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Yeah man NP. Stretching the SoA with ggs gains is a damn good idea, because it is a bear to train. Beats fishing though!

If you are new to tmapping I'll share some very useful information. Obv fel maps are the bread-and-butter, but what people don't know (Or rather know and don't tell) is ter mur maps are also very good, as I believe they are the only ones that spawn items with casting focus/eater. Tokuno maps can be good too for the much sought after splinter waki. Ilsh maps even had some sort of benefit to them, but I can't recall what it was... And hell tram maps can still pop good tameables.

for those who think fel is the only tmapping worth doing... hell let em think that! Keeps the other maps dirt cheap!!

Last edited:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Now I just need to know what is valuable and worth keeping from the chests besides gold, recipes, scrolls, forged doc.

Typically when I look in the chest the first 2 rows (using EC) have the stuff listed above, then a bunch of rings/weps/armor. I've thought about making an imbuer to unravel all the junk, otherwise it's only good for clean up points.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
If you look in trade you'll see threads posted selling lots of jewelry, which looks like it may have came from tmapping. Most of the pieces don't catch any attention, but the ones that do I've seen go for quite a lot. That can be a good place to help in your appraisal of your own tmap loot.

You'll notice more jewels with high numbers of properties at good intensities than anything else. Since you're on EC with pinco's, look through whatever is sorted at the top, then search for things like splintering, animal taming +20, soul charge, clean ssi jewels, etc.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I have 94.0 cartography now. At 92 I went to twisted wield to be discorded by Satyrs. It's hard to make it work because they strip your armor off and they provoke mobs onto you. I tried using invis potions and casting invis on myself, that didn't work. A guildy came and I told him when discord was on me and he would use peacemaking on the Satyr. I went from 92-94 that way, pretty fast too because with discord my skill was around 67. My plan is to do it again with a pack beetle full of materials needed and maybe a blue scroll.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, the only reason why the satyr makes you strip is that your TH is female - they are randy SOBs that want to see you nekkid.... :p

Not sure if Polymorphing to male would prevent it.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
BTW, the only reason why the satyr makes you strip is that your TH is female - they are randy SOBs that want to see you nekkid.... :p

Not sure if Polymorphing to male would prevent it.
I'll have to try that, maybe then I could just cast invis on myself. In any case, having a friend cast peacemaking on the Satyr works very well.