• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Whats the best T-Hunting Template?

catfish154

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can solo about all level 7 chest mobs on my tamer but man does he have problems with Frost Dragons and Renegade Changelings. I was wondering if a Mystic/Mage temp might be able to handle them easier. How well do RC's stand up to lvl 7 spawn? What would the best template be for soloing? Thx

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
RCs would get dispelled often unless you have spellweaving and cast arcane empowerment which decreases the chance of summon dispels and strengthens your summons... ive used my tamer thunter on changelings to no avail... i believe Ilshenar level 7's should involve more than one person to handle the Renegades IMO...

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My treasure hunter is a tamer also, made back before 6 and 7s existed, can solo a 6 but have same issues on 7s, I now park my chiv archer I have on a second account nearby with a slayer bow to deal with frost dragons, never tried an ilsh level 7 but Id be surprised if that same archer with a fey slayer couldn't deal with renegade changelings.

I have been thinking of converting that T hunter to archery from tamer as it seems archers are very potent things these days, I now do all my farming with that chiv-archer rather than my tamer, the kill speed with slayer bow+enemy of one+consecrate weap+armour ignores is amazing.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Provoker can also be very effective. Can take a little practice to get the hang of provoking things in the right order to try and kill the strongest mob first (or have it the last thing alive with as little life left as possible). Since magery usually goes along with the temp, can use ev to finish the last one.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Provoker can also be very effective. Can take a little practice to get the hang of provoking things in the right order to try and kill the strongest mob first (or have it the last thing alive with as little life left as possible). Since magery usually goes along with the temp, can use ev to finish the last one.
Surely that leaves you a little stuffed while looting the chest and a frost dragon pops up?

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I play a Mystic Stealth Mage T Hunter (stone off cart when map decoded), and it works very well. Drop a RC and then precast invis. When the chest pops up you can stealth away without having to use hide skill first. The spawn auto targets the RC, and then just keep casting RC from the screen edge until most of the spawn is dead. You can also lure the spawn away from the chest and split it up into smaller manageable groups. Hailstorm with high SDI and a Dragon Slayer Mage book and RC makes soloing the Frost dragons fairly easy to do. When looting the chest, always have an RC by your side, if spawn targets you, run away - hide - stealth back to chest. Another added bonus to this template is be able to do Felucca T maps in relative peace - if reds show up near the town/dungeon/moon gate location maps, just hide and stealth away.... they soon get bored and move on to grief elsewhere :)

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Props to the original poster if they can handle renegade changelings on their own!

While I don't run a T-Hunter myself, one of my guildies will invite us out to help with higher level maps if they're in Ish for the purpose of helping with those. Similar to strategy Garrett described, we usually would get on our Mystics, invis and cast RC's. If you have SW, use arcane empowerment as needed to prevent dispels and up your damage, and then hit WoD at end once you get it down low enough in health. As I'm sure you probably know, key to the renegades is splitting them up. We struggle with that even when there are 2-3 of us. They're just huge pain in the butt, and worse yet, seem to replenish their health pretty quickly if you don't stay on them.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I only play minimally, but I've been t-hunting for 15 years now. The provo template used to be perfect for me to solo L5's, but with the bard nerf years ago to make it difficulty based,it's not really ideal above an L5 chest. My template:

100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
110 Magery
100 Eval Int
90 Meditation
120 Provocation
100 Music

I don't like the idea on stoning off skills, so this is what I play with. I don't miss mining, with the EC and Davies Locker I can get within a tile or two. But L6 is a different story; the AW's are too hard to provoke reliably, and I don't have enough mana to finish it off faster than it can heal. I haven't even attempted an L7 yet. It's possible maybe I could load up on mana regen items and try again.

So I'm trying to decide whether to change my template, sell off my L6/L7 maps, or enlist help for treasure hunting.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am running the following temp.
120 mystic
120 focus
100 cart
100 lockpick
100 mining
100 magery
80 eval.

My suit is a high luck suit and with the exception of level 7 maps which are a bit tougher I easily do all level maps. AW and the frost dragons can be a pain if they dispel but usually I just isolate them til last then keep RC out while dropping mana vampire on them after that I join in with a slayer book and cast til low mana then mana vamp back up.

Not saying this the best but sure works well for me. Mystic is awesome for crowd control and with a slayer book I do good damage while my colossal does his stuff

Could get by without mining but I actively mine for metal and gems also with this guy.

Ta

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
It feels weird to unload Provocation. It was a lot of work to get to 120, and it was central to my character's identity. But Provo and Music are now stoned away.

Since I know I can find the treasure without Mining,I think I'm going with Spellweaving instead. My goal is now -

120 mystic
120 focus
100 cart
100 lockpick
100 spellweaving (Arcane empowerment to resist dispelling?)
100 magery
80 eval.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Actually, I'm re-thinking the spellweaving since I only see use for the Arcane Empowerment. I only need about 60 skill to cast that reliably, and I can boost some other skills.

120 mystic
120 focus
110 magery
100 cart
100 lockpick
100 eval.
70 spellweaving (Arcane Empowerment 100%)

What do y'all think?

(this is going to be harder than I thought, though, I didn't realize the mysticism regs were so hard to get)

Last edited:

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
120 mystic
120 focus
110 magery
100 cart
100 lockpick
100 eval.
70 spellweaving (Arcane Empowerment 100%)
since I lasted posted this, I stoned my 120 Provo/Music, and Mysticism is now 95, Spellweaving is 90. I've successfully solod L5's but before I attempted anL6, I went to Destard to practice on Greater Dragon.

I eventually succeeded, but it wasn't easy. Ran out of mana, Arcane Empowerment wasn't enough to keep the GD from dispelling the Rising Colossus. Rethinking my skills, I also decided to stone off EI and raise Meditation instead, giving me essentially an unlimited mana pool. It eliminated magery as an offensive skill, but I can still do mind blast and cast energy vortexes.

Digging is easier, too. Whereas I used to pre-cast Invisibility (and when lich lords started revealing automatically many years ago, it was less effective anyway), I tried marking 2 runes, one at the site and one a screen away. Now, I magnetize the compass at the site in case I get lost, and cast ethereal voyage on myselfjust before the chest pops up, giving me a few seconds to make a run offscreen and cast the RC.

Now,
120 Mysticism
120 focus
110 magery
100 cart
100 lockpick
100 spellweaving (might take it to 110)
and the rest in Meditation.

panoramix2009

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am running the following temp.
120 mystic
120 focus
100 cart
100 lockpick
100 mining
100 magery
80 eval.

My suit is a high luck suit and with the exception of level 7 maps which are a bit tougher I easily do all level maps. AW and the frost dragons can be a pain if they dispel but usually I just isolate them til last then keep RC out while dropping mana vampire on them after that I join in with a slayer book and cast til low mana then mana vamp back up.

Not saying this the best but sure works well for me. Mystic is awesome for crowd control and with a slayer book I do good damage while my colossal does his stuff

Could get by without mining but I actively mine for metal and gems also with this guy.

Ta
why you have 100 mining in your template?

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How come only Malas and Tokuno if I may ask?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because I can manage the spawn on those ones :D . Tram and Fel the frost dragons dispel too much, Ilshenar those renegade changelings fit the map description, they're downright diabolical.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Dang. I switched to Mystic so I could do the frost dragons. I haven't tried one yet. Although I dropped EI and picked up meditation for longer mana dumps.

Do you have Spellweaving? Does Arcane Focus help?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have spellweaving on that character. Template is:
Cartography, lockpick, mining all GM
Magery, focus 115
Medi 110
myst 120

Some of that is on jewels. Whether I could drop medi for spellweaving I'm not sure.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm working on mine that's similar to yours, but spellweaving instead of mining. I've had good luck find the chests within just a few digs. The spellweaving arcane focus should keep the frost dragons from dispelling so easy, so I hope I'm able to solo them.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I use disco mystic mage gargoyles
You need 120 mysticism and focus for RCs with some strength and durability
You need 120 music and disco to weaken the frost dragons so they don't bother you that much - they go down in a couple minutes
I swap carto for locks after I decode several maps, so I'm using only one slot there
Then I have 115 magery and about 60 meditation (exact number depends on your jewelry - I also have a lot of MR on my suit)
I don't need mining because the EC maps are so exact
I use a gargoyle because he can fly in and out of trouble so fast it almost feels like cheating
The only L7 map that's any problem at all is an Ilsh chest where more than one renegade changeling spawns - they can be killed solo, but they take too long to be fun because they fly around fast and regenerate, and I only have the patience for one of them

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I use disco mystic mage gargoyles
You need 120 mysticism and focus for RCs with some strength and durability
You need 120 music and disco to weaken the frost dragons so they don't bother you that much - they go down in a couple minutes
I swap carto for locks after I decode several maps, so I'm using only one slot there
Then I have 115 magery and about 60 meditation (exact number depends on your jewelry - I also have a lot of MR on my suit)
I don't need mining because the EC maps are so exact
I use a gargoyle because he can fly in and out of trouble so fast it almost feels like cheating
The only L7 map that's any problem at all is an Ilsh chest where more than one renegade changeling spawns - they can be killed solo, but they take too long to be fun because they fly around fast and regenerate, and I only have the patience for one of them
No hiding or stealth? I haven't tried any maps without hiding/stealth, and not sure how the relearning curve would go. I am so use to just casting RC and digging up the chest, going into hide as it pops, letting the RC do his thing while I stealth away to recast RC when needed. It sounds like a very good template. This game is getting too complicated for this little brain of mine.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hiding and stealth aren't necessary, and the template is already crowded. For years I used invis, but that was less reliable when monsters learned to reveal. Now I mark a rune a screen away and recall.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I precast invis while digging. You keep digging while casting it. As soon as the chest pops, hit invis, wait until the mob attacks your RC, and fly away.
The only time I have to be careful is on high-level chests in Fel. If you're standing too close to the chest, the mob will pop up and surround and block you, and you're dead. But even with 0 mining, you can stand far enough back from the chest to avoid it unless you're careless.
This works for a gargoyle because they fly so fast. I would mark a rune and recall when I used a tamer, because they walk too slow to run away from high-level casting spawn. I switched to the mystic mage because RCs do much more damage than greater dragons at 120 mystic and 120 focus and you don't have to worry about healing them

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I run a tamer template...

120 Taming
120 Lore
100 Vet
100 Magery
80 Meditation
100 Lockpicking
100 Cartography/Mining.

I decode all maps before putting them into Davey's Locker and then soulstone off Cartography and put on Mining. I've never done a 7... Sixes are a bit dicey for me even. I pulled one up in Fel that spawned three ancients at once. My fully trained 4.3 Greater Dragon didn't last very long. I've since started to find the chest spot... run off somewhere as safe as possible near a Wandering Healer and mark a rune. I'll then go get my dragon and come back. I'll keep the dragon at the spot and dig up the chest as far from it as I can with 100 mining. Precast invis... Invis as chest pops and immediately run to my marked safe location. I'll then start to drag one at a time away, careful not to get too far because sometimes they will jump back to the chest. I solo them this way.

I've thought about finding the chest location with mining and soulstoning that off too, but haven't found the need yet. Maybe with my first 7 I'll pick up something... my tamer does have 120 Peace/Music scrolls eaten for taming. They are stoned off. Maybe I'll fit that somewhere.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I'm thinking of building a mage T-Hunter and was wondering about this template from @Dizzy, which was mentioned above. Has this template been successful? Any different suggestions?

Also how do you play with this template? How do you fights the spawn with these skills?

Template:
120 Mysticism
120 focus
110 magery
100 cart
100 lockpick

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm thinking of building a mage T-Hunter and was wondering about this template from @Dizzy, which was mentioned above. Has this template been successful? Any different suggestions?

Also how do you play with this template? How do you fights the spawn with these skills?

Template:
120 Mysticism
120 focus
110 magery
100 cart
100 lockpick
I have to say I have no regret, stoning off my 120 Provo. I loved playing a bard, but the difficulties are too high to play effectively.

On the other hand, i've been easily able to solo L6's (I don't have an L7 yet to try). Invis when digging is ineffective, so I mark another rune a screen or more away. Then one by one deal with the spawn with Rising Colossus. The Spellweaving is an effective addition, not for the Arcane Focus as I expected, but for the Word of Death. Having a 6-Focus and casting 1 spell to destroy an ancient wyrm at 20% health is invaluable.

The Changelings are so fast, though, I prefer to stay mounted. Those are better with Energy Vortex. I lost a bunch of spells because I don't have Eval anymore, but I gain by having Myst/SW with Focus.

In fact, since I have 3 accounts and often play at odd hours, I built up 2 other spellweavers so I can make a 4-Focus all by my lonesome. :)

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I'm really thinking of trying your template for treasure hunting, so 'm happy to see it's working out.
Keep us posted on results for Lv7 maps when you have some! Really looking forward for that!

Porthos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I went from a gm bard thunter soloing when 5's where the max to a mystic mage t hunter/fisher when I came back . solo 6's easy, 7's take time but are do able.

Fishing 120
mystic 100 +13
magery 100 +10
cart 100
focus 100
Lockpicking 100
med 100

Porthos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I went from a gm bard thunter soloing when 5's where the max to a mystic mage t hunter/fisher when I came back . solo 6's easy, 7's take time but are do able.

Fishing 120
mystic 100 +13
magery 100 +10
cart 100
focus 100
Lockpicking 100
med 100

Macrophage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run 120 music/disco/provo/magery. 100 mining (could soulstone for 100 SW if using EC; or use the trick to cancel the digging when you found its location with mining, mark the spot and come afterwards but I dont need it). 100 lockpick and 80 meditation. (I have +40 skills on jewels). I also have magery primer III. With this I can do all level 6 spawns in ease. I did a few level 7 (they are damn rare) and didnt have problems (but it was not in Ilsh). The armor is decent, with some legendary parts and some luck.
With magery primer, you can really kill an ancient wyrm with EV and finish it off with a well timed magery mastery spell (I don t recall the name).
Killing one ancient wyrm is all that you need because the others died through provo. Also I dont bother killing spawn that come from looting the chest, I just lure it away. You could of course do it for roleplay or fun purposes.

klapios

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I would seriously consider an archer as the ultimate t-mapper. Archers are very efficient with high survivability and there is no need to drag pets around, invis, or worry about having to finish off an ancient wyrm with magery.

With enemy of one and a slayer type my armor ingores hit for 180-200, every 1.5 second at full stamina. I haven't any trouble with any level of map yet. The most annoying things are ancient wyrms because of their dragon's breath that does some serious damage, and their high resists make it hard to leech mana even with consecrate weapon. I imbued a set of 6 weapons, one for each slayer type and they all have 50% hit lower defense, 37% mana leech, 25% ssi, 40 di and a slayer. I didnt bother crafting 100% elemental weapons because I use armor ignore anyways. My template is:

120 archery
100 tact
100 anat
100 healing
100 mining
100 chiv
100 lock picking

I stone off cartography for mining after I decode all the maps.

Healing isn't necessary but it makes things easier/quicker, you can get away with only chiv healing but you will need to run off screen to heal slowing down your progress on the spawn. Mining isn't necessary obivously but I would only drop it for cartography if you have no soul stone to keep your skills on, there isn't much one skill is going to improve on this build, I'm already hitting for close to 200 damage on armor ingores which is pretty close to the damage cap.

Damion Blacke

Adventurer
I treasure hunt 95% of the time that I am in game. I do all level maps with absolutely 0 problems except lvl 7 ilshenar. I complete around 20 lvl 6 and 7 maps per day. I've tried tamer, archer, sampire, and more. ....this template is the best by far for my style of play.

120 Disco
120 Voke
120 Peace
120 Music
120 Magery (Can be lower)
100 Lock
20 Med

Like others, I have plenty of maps already opened so I stone off cart.

People always say AW and Frost Dragons are hard when nothing to voke onto them, and they take too long with EVs.....the key to my template is disco mastery. I can kill an AW extremely fast without any EVs with the mastery. Have book set to their lowest resist (fire for frost dragon) discord them and use mastery. You can keep area peacing or just peacing the dragon. Although I normally have 2 EVs out and keep his attention on them.

This is a very effective setup for me. I've done maps primarily for YEARS and this was even my template before the mastery and it worked good then also. The disco mastery just gave it a huge boost and sped up the time it takes me to do a chest.

My character wears max luck suit with max lmc and 19 mana reg. This is important so you will have enough mana for the disco mastery to finish them off.

Dbbarnhurst

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I treasure hunt 95% of the time that I am in game. I do all level maps with absolutely 0 problems except lvl 7 ilshenar. I complete around 20 lvl 6 and 7 maps per day. I've tried tamer, archer, sampire, and more. ....this template is the best by far for my style of play.

120 Disco
120 Voke
120 Peace
120 Music
120 Magery (Can be lower)
100 Lock
20 Med

Like others, I have plenty of maps already opened so I stone off cart.

People always say AW and Frost Dragons are hard when nothing to voke onto them, and they take too long with EVs.....the key to my template is disco mastery. I can kill an AW extremely fast without any EVs with the mastery. Have book set to their lowest resist (fire for frost dragon) discord them and use mastery. You can keep area peacing or just peacing the dragon. Although I normally have 2 EVs out and keep his attention on them.

This is a very effective setup for me. I've done maps primarily for YEARS and this was even my template before the mastery and it worked good then also. The disco mastery just gave it a huge boost and sped up the time it takes me to do a chest.

My character wears max luck suit with max lmc and 19 mana reg. This is important so you will have enough mana for the disco mastery to finish them off.

Hey Damion. I have a quick question. I'm new (coming back after a long break) to masteries. I have a provoke book but it has 45 spells in it. Which one do you use to bring down the LArger beasties? Thanks in advance.

David B.

Damion Blacke

Adventurer
I have used sampire, archer and more to do them as well. They are fast and effective, but it requires me to give up too much luck on the character to use. I have tested the high luck/low luck/no luck too many times to count and I promise you high luck is WAY worth it.

Now if I was just thunting for roleplaying or just for the heck of it, i would use an archer and just have fun. But I get way too many high end legendaries using luck to change it up.

Just my .02

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why give up luck, i use a complete luck suit. i equip it while digging up the chest. Then i run hit my swap macro and kill the guardians. So no problem with luck.

Damion Blacke

Adventurer
If you are doing it that way then i guess it doesn't matter. I can have it under control and almost finished in the time it would take me to switch out armor/jewels/weapons/tali.....not to mention the extra weight i'd always be carrying. Less loot to carry and unravel :)

Everyone has their own style and system. I have tried it everyway and overall I haven't seen a template as effective FOR ME. Two EV's, discorded, and diso mastery....I am hitting as hard or probably higher per second than warriors.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it isnt that problematic. With EC client its one click and you can switch a complete set of armour. Another click you switch back.

But sure if you want to empty the chest you have always some extea weight carrying with you. I for myself only loot the things i think mightbe valuable and go for the next chest.

Damion Blacke

Adventurer
Ahhh ok. Nice setup.

I can't use EC. Way to ugly for me lol.

I loot everything (and very fast at it) so I unravel. I get 35 to 40 relics per chest.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I held out from EC for years, but it has great advantages. Besides the 1-click swap to a luck suit and back. it also has a "loot all" button. CC may be fast, but it can't compete with the speed of the "loot all".

Quatermain

Visitor
Awards
I have a Mystic/Mage T Hunter. I just got Katalkotl's Ring so my plan for his build is:

Lockpick 100
Cartography 100
Mining 81 includes +10 (axe) +5 (gloves)
Mysticism 120
Focus 120
Magery 100 includes +20 (ring)
Meditation 100 includes +10 (ring)
Res Spells 54 includes +10 (ring)​

I've only done maps in Trammel but level 5 maps are very easy for a casual, returning gamer using a Mystic/Mage. Level 6 maps are soloable but take a long time because of the Ancient Wurms.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did, in the end, add spellweaving to the character in place of medi. I've found that for initial 'crowd control' a summoned reaper can be better than an RC. It distracts the whole crowd while I discretely retire to a safer distance.