• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What's the best mastery so far?

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just curious what people think are the most useful / least useful ones so far. I've mostly gotten level 3s for skills I don't have so haven't done much testing on them.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've not tested them myself but a lot of my guild mates are raving about the parry one.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
For my dexxers, I love the mace and sword ones. Onslaught and stagger are pretty powerful.
Spellweaving is pretty sweet too, allowing for easier focus.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've not tested them myself but a lot of my guild mates are raving about the parry one.
I think it'd be amazing for two warriors against some high damage single target bosses. The shield bash one doesn't sound too helpful to me (in PvM) and the party chance one on paper sounds like too much mana, but haven't tested yet.

Swords seems to be really great with Onslaught though. Just need to get some 100% weapons. All I use now is physical.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it'd be amazing for two warriors against some high damage single target bosses. The shield bash one doesn't sound too helpful to me (in PvM) and the party chance one on paper sounds like too much mana, but haven't tested yet.

Swords seems to be really great with Onslaught though. Just need to get some 100% weapons. All I use now is physical.
Yeah, bodyguard, especially at level three, makes it pretty hard to die in a two man cross healing scenario. If the person taking damage has mace to stagger the foe keeping them swinging slow, it's a bad ass combo I imagine.

I have parry level one and mace level 2, but never on at a good time to find anyone to team up with. :(

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only really used the taming masteries so far, with some dabbling in Mage, but I absolutely LOVE the taming ones. I haven't needed to use the skill gain mastery for my greater, but I absolutely love Berserk's damage bonus. Not sure what Empowerment does though.

For Mages, Death Ray isn't bad, but it's highly situational, obviously. If you have something tanking a durable monster/boss, you get free extra damage in until your mana runs out. That's never a bad thing

fajico

Seasoned Veteran
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Best 3 so far:

1. White Tiger Form [Ninjitsu]
Everyone should try this at least once. The animation when you're running...!

2. Intuition (passive) [Chiv/Bush/Ninjitsu]
Free addtional mana...why not ?

3. Saving Throw (passive) [All weapon skills]
Finally disarm nerf. Tested a bit and it blocks disarm a lot, I like it. But...I still think instead of giving proof to the defensive side, nerfing disarm itself would be better, more straight and direct solution if you want to balance PvP more and remove frustration factor from it. I also think it's not a good idea if passive masteries for all weapon skills only cater to PvP needs, ends up 1 of 3 mastery abilities completely wasted if the character doesn't engage in PvP at all.
(I also tested this on TC before WW release against Allosaurus which has disarm ability and it seemed it's not working at all. It's working fine against a player though. Did anyone try this against disarming dinosaur on prod shard ? Does it work in PvM too ?)

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there supposed to be some indicator of it working? Because I don't remember seeing anything against those dinosaurs with 120 swords/tactics and the level 2 mastery.

fajico

Seasoned Veteran
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In PvP, It shows a system message on both sides(the disarmer and the disarmed) when the effect goes off.
I didn't see anything either when I was fighting dinosaur with swords mastery turned on.
It would be nice if there's visual effect when the effect goes off.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Level 3 stagger is pretty powerful in PvM against mêlée heavy opponents. I made very short use of Navrey with my macer without using the rocks. She would attack so slowly.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, several questions,
  1. Mastery books- where do I get them . I have one for the bard stuff.
  2. Once I get a new one can it be transfered to a different character or are they bound to the character.
  3. I have gotten a 2 scrolls/ masteries from the new champ spawn. Do I double click them to use them? If I do that without a book will they just go poof?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If you have a bard, you can do the peace mastery quest over and over again to get as many as you need. Otherwise you have to fulfil Hawkwind's quest to get one or buy one in your shard.
You need to have the book to use them, but if you double click them without a book, they won't go poof. Your character will have access to those masteries once she has a mastery book.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thx. Taking a while to learn the changes. Been out f the game for quite awhile. Alot has changed.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the weaving one. Reaper is pretty cool and can take on multiple low lvl mobs at once. Like first lvl of a spawn. The magery deathray is sweet and does a lot of damage but you can't move or it breaks the spell.

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For extra books I just do the disco quest. I recall to del and disco 5 goats. Got about 20 books in half an hour.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
tame 5 mongbats and bring them with you - peacemaking is 6 seconds instead of 11 - pretty close to twice and fast and you don't have to go anywhere - win win

Min

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Magery and Mysticism are nearly useless, but I expected as much from this dev team.

Is it me, or are the animations for death ray not working right in the EC? My guy raises his hand, and after a rather long delay, the monster finally takes damage.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Magery and Mysticism are nearly useless, but I expected as much from this dev team.

Is it me, or are the animations for death ray not working right in the EC? My guy raises his hand, and after a rather long delay, the monster finally takes damage.
Magery's death ray has been pretty good for me at the turtle spawn I am getting far more damage in than I ever have prior too. Also the duration of my summons is quite noticeable. But its like retail take some then sell it back as a bonus for double the cost.

Min

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Magery's death ray has been pretty good for me at the turtle spawn I am getting far more damage in than I ever have prior too. Also the duration of my summons is quite noticeable. But its like retail take some then sell it back as a bonus for double the cost.
* It takes three seconds to go off initially.
* The range is only a couple of squares or so, practically point blank.
* If you move or take damage, the spell is cancelled. Seriously, try death ray on Neira or something that shoots back. Useless.
* It takes a f-ton of mana to channel.

The ability has far too many drawbacks for the cost. It should either have an increased range, cost less per channel tick, require more damage to break, or take a full second off of the initial cast tick. Pick one. It's also dead useless in PVP compared to all the amazing warrior abilities, which is fairly typical for this dev team.

Mystic mastery blast is useless in both PVM and PVP. I don't know why they even bothered, or what in the hell they were thinking. They must have been too busy making the archer, mace, thrower, sword, and parry abilities amazing.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For my dexxers, I love the mace and sword ones. Onslaught and stagger are pretty powerful.
Spellweaving is pretty sweet too, allowing for easier focus.
regarding swords onslaught, can you explain me what this thing is doing on level 3 excatly? so how long it last and how much resist its pulling down?
thx

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm a big fan of the Summon Reaper from the Spellweaving masteries. Helps to corral spawn quite a bit, and have found it particularly useful in 'The Bar' Shadowguard instance.

While I haven't played it much, a lot of people in my guild like the Parry masteries, some even saying that the shield bash melee attack is overpowered.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
regarding swords onslaught, can you explain me what this thing is doing on level 3 excatly? so how long it last and how much resist its pulling down?
thx
In PvM, onlsaught level 3 will drop the target resist by 20% for around 6 seconds. Which resist gets dropped by that amount depends on what element if your weapon.
A 100% physical weapon will drop the monster physical resist, a 100% fire will drop the fire resist, a 100% energy will drop the energy resist and so on. Do note that consecrate weapon doesn't affect this. It will always consider your weapon element damage type.
I am not sure how it works with weapons that aren't 100% of one damage type.

6 seconds duration is plenty to deliver two VERY painful double strikes and then reapply onslaught on the third swing. I am loving it.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In PvM, onlsaught level 3 will drop the target resist by 20% for around 6 seconds. Which resist gets dropped by that amount depends on what element if your weapon.
A 100% physical weapon will drop the monster physical resist, a 100% fire will drop the fire resist, a 100% energy will drop the energy resist and so on. Do note that consecrate weapon doesn't affect this. It will always consider your weapon element damage type.
I am not sure how it works with weapons that aren't 100% of one damage type.

6 seconds duration is plenty to deliver two VERY painful double strikes and then reapply onslaught on the third swing. I am loving it.
Thanks you

May is ask which template you are using it on? I have a sampire and a paladin. Normally i use 120chiv in both with divine fury and concecrate wepp.

This give me full buffa and i can run 100hml weps.

From what i can read in your post its would be crucial to use elemental weapons marching the opponents weakest to more of less remove that low resist completely to use double strike with huge output. Is that correct?

I planned parry Masters for the paladin as he use full parry bonus so i can use it for the samp with elemental.

Is there anything else i need to think of?

Thank you.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am using it on my sampire (120 swords, 120 tactics, 80 anat +10 from tally, 120 chiv, 120 bushido, 100 necro, 60 parry) and on my 6x120 paladin (swords, tactics, anatomy, parry, chivalry, healing).
In both cases, I carry 100% elemental weapons rather than 100% HML physical weapons. But do note that against enemies such as Dreadhorn, 100% physical is preferable.
And yes, matching the enemy weakest resist with your weapon is important in this case. Once you apply onslaught, your next two double strikes will hit with great force. Do note that for enemies with the lowest resist in the 70s, you will still be better off with AI. In such case, at most, your double strike will match the AI damage. For enemies with resists in the mid 60s and lower, the double strikes will greatly over damage the AI.

Keira

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I finally got to Hawkwind (yes, I am late to the ToL party).

I talked to him and for the taming mastery he is asking me to do the peerless - Travesty. I remember doing that a long time ago. What happened to taming 6 mongbats or something else I am reading on this thread?

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You can do either the disco or the peace mastery quests over and over again to get as many mastery books you need for your characters.
Then just buy the mastery primers you need, or do champ spawns to get them.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I finally got to Hawkwind (yes, I am late to the ToL party).

I talked to him and for the taming mastery he is asking me to do the peerless - Travesty. I remember doing that a long time ago. What happened to taming 6 mongbats or something else I am reading on this thread?
The peacing mastery is taken from the guys in Britain, that big music place up near the smithy's
The masteries from Hawkwind are for the new "battle" skills, also the quest he gives you changes every hour your logged in so if you don't like on Boss, wait an hour dump the quest and take it again with a new boss.