• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) What would it take for you to shop on Chessie?

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I am asking this without any intended snarkiness. :D

I see many chesapeake players shopping on Atlantic, both to buy and sell. I also see an increasing number in my actions as well.

That said, all you have to do is look at a Vesper auction, and you see that the level of items is often somewhat lacking. This is not due to any fault of Ivy or victor! :). I am just stating the obvious - higher-end items and equipment simply doesn't go to auction on Chesapeake, nor is it often available for sale on vendors or anywhere else.

So many of us carry a sizable amount of gold on Atlantic, transfer stuff to Atlantic to sell, buy stuff on Atlantic, and transfer stuff home from Atlantic.

But other than Angelica and the other couple of malls, pretty much vendors seem dead on Chesapeake. So let me ask what might be an obvious question. :) what would it take for you personally to set up even just one Vendor full of random stuff you have to sell. If all of us had even just a single Vendor full of random stuff, the selection for shoppers on chesapeake would grow significantly. Who knows next time you need something you might not have to transfer it back from Atlantic - you could just buy it right here on Chesapeake.

The one thing I do think we all need to get past though is the idea of "Atlantic prices". Price is price is price. I see stuff not sell at half its value on Chesapeake, get transferred to Atlantic, and sell at full price. I see people at the chessie auction who won't pay 2 million for a 10 million item, but then spend 10 million on Atlantic only to have to transfer it home. Sure, some things can get over inflated on Atlantic, but that doesn't mean that chesapeake is somehow immune to the price found on the other 24 transferable shards. And besides, wouldn't you rather buy that piece of gear and use it today, rather than having to wait until it can be transferred from Atlantic? :)

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
and here i thought it was just me. i can rarely find what i want/need on chessy so i end up bringing stuff over from sonoma and atlantic. i'm talking about simple stuff like jewelry and prized/legendary armor.

at one time i wanted to set up a vendor on chessy but i live in fel and it's not a prime location for vendoring.

then rares fest killed the vendor idea completely. i had 1 vendor at rares fest which i continued to stock after the event was over. it was tough selling anything. i even mispriced a vet reward deed (something that would sell on atlantic for 15 mil or more which i had mispriced at 1.5 mil) and even that didn't sell. (glad it didn't.) i don't know, maybe the rares fest location was too remote? after that experience i decided chessy was not a seller's market.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't go to the Vesper auction so **** giving gold to anyone who does. Other servers deserve my gold more.

Malee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello,

I have always only shopped on Chesapeake. Your recent auction was the first time I have a ever bought off shard. I wanted the bells to give as gift to a friend but there haven't been any for sale on Chessie for a while. When I saw your auction I decided to try because I don't when or if there will be bells for sale again. (I may be partly at fault for that because I think a good chuck of bells on Chessie are at my house already. :p)
I have a few vendors at my keep that I always keep stocked with low level tmap loot, fishing items, and alot of random items. I just don't have alot of the 'high-end' items people search for - my characters simply aren't able to get them because I'm a big chicken and don't like champ spawns and dungeons.
I think alot of people just give up on their vendors too soon, esp. if they are not in Luna. If their goods don't sell in a day, they drop them. There were quite a few times I would find a vendor shop I liked only for them to be gone the next week.
I noticed quite a few new and returning players lately. I think for a while most of Chessie's players were long time vets who could get whatever they wanted (esp. higher end items) for themselves - there was nobody new to sell to. So hopefully newer players will give a reason for people to sell on Chessie again.

Poggrog

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just set up a Scribe vendor about a week ago near the Pax Tea House. sold a few things so far. In no hurry to take it down. It needs some fine tuning, but I find that's part of the fun. It's been quite a few years since I've had one and I'm kinda enjoying it.
I've missed this game.
Pog/Puck/Kyannkat/Jason Hope.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Wish I could help. I'm mainly here for the occasional role play, and since my goblin chef recently took a vow of poverty and rid herself of her large house and most of her possessions (and doesn't hunt for anything of value), and since food in UO isn't worth much.... :sad4:

CottonEyeJoe104

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The issue with buying an selling on Chessy is we are small community. Its hard to get people to come off items for a "decent" price. Cause we as sellers want more, and as buyers want things cheaper. The supply/demand system is broken w/ the lower activity we are seeing on Chessy. On Atlantic, you can wheel and deal a lot easier. Talk people down, make multiple trades, and find what you are looking for. I don't know how Angelica, Carla and the others who run big malls can do it -- although I do try my best to check Chessy vendors before I buy on ATL. Perfect example I could try and sell a 120 mage or 120 taming on chessy, it'd take ages for someone who needs it to buy it. And they'd pay less than I could get on ATL. ATL I can sell it quicker and obtain higher profits. The issue that caused vendors to decline IMO is shard sheilds. Letting us vets transfer w/ no cost makes cross-shard-commerce cheap, easy, and it makes sense.

Don't Tread on Me

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The issue with buying an selling on Chessy is we are small community. Its hard to get people to come off items for a "decent" price. Cause we as sellers want more, and as buyers want things cheaper. The supply/demand system is broken w/ the lower activity we are seeing on Chessy. On Atlantic, you can wheel and deal a lot easier. Talk people down, make multiple trades, and find what you are looking for. I don't know how Angelica, Carla and the others who run big malls can do it -- although I do try my best to check Chessy vendors before I buy on ATL. Perfect example I could try and sell a 120 mage or 120 taming on chessy, it'd take ages for someone who needs it to buy it. And they'd pay less than I could get on ATL. ATL I can sell it quicker and obtain higher profits. The issue that caused vendors to decline IMO is shard sheilds. Letting us vets transfer w/ no cost makes cross-shard-commerce cheap, easy, and it makes sense.

I say tariff all imports AND exports concerning chessy! Keep the working jobs here--not someone over-shards. Cotton pretends to be the voice of reason, but he has not the intestinal fortitude to do the right thing. Instead he sells his merchandise for his own extra profit at the expense of the loyal and patriotic members of Chessy.

He he, sorry, the news has got my brain all scrambled. happy day everyone. I

CottonEyeJoe104

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I haven't been back long enough to even understand where things are selling at. I do know, I can't find any of the potted plants I need on chessy lol

Octavia

Visitor
I constantly buy from Atlantic and transfer to different shards for the very reason that no one is selling the things I need on my own shard. Decorations, bulk items, good armor, powerscrolls, SOT's, Alacrity Scrolls, etc. Why is this?

1.I think people have become too lazy to get it themselves and sell it. I have even bought things from atlantic to actually sell on my shard at lower prices just to help boost vendor moral. It doesn't seem to work though because i always end up having to sell for less so I don't lose money on my vendor.
2. Farmers who come to the less populated shards, farm everything, then x-shard to atlantic and sell there or sell by any other means possible. They care nothing of the economy on a small shard.
3. I hear too many complaints about not being able to spawn because of pvp guilds who raid. Have people forgotten how to band together and fight off raiders like the old days? I know there are not a lot of people on the game to make guilds, but something I see on chessy that is nothing like any other shard is the alliances with all of the communities. Do you guys get together and do spawns and harrowers? If that were the case then raiders wouldn't be a problem.

I agree with the solution for everyone to go through their inventory, find items they can part with and sell for reasonable prices. Fill up that vendor search menu.
Also, farm your own shard. Go farm resources and ingredients and sell them on your vendors or through chat, go farm the shadowguard roof top and get uber items for your suits or to sell them. And keep your money on your shard unless you absolutely need to go elsewhere. Make it hard for x-shard farmers to take away from your own economy.

Last edited:

CottonEyeJoe104

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Great post ^^

You know this thread made me come up with a great idea -- and it might already be implemented and I don't know.
Do vendors still charge you DAILY to have an item listed?

If so, we should see if we could get a petition to make it so its a flat rate tax when the item is SOLD. This way people don't lose money leaving stuff sit on a vendor. This would make me more likely to setup vendors knowing I wouldn't be paying insane amounts daily in hopes to make smaller profits in the long run.

Octavia

Visitor
Great post ^^

You know this thread made me come up with a great idea -- and it might already be implemented and I don't know.
Do vendors still charge you DAILY to have an item listed?

If so, we should see if we could get a petition to make it so its a flat rate tax when the item is SOLD. This way people don't lose money leaving stuff sit on a vendor. This would make me more likely to setup vendors knowing I wouldn't be paying insane amounts daily in hopes to make smaller profits in the long run.
I wonder if we even really need a petition, probably just need to bring it up to Mesanna.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It would take a removal of vendor fees until the item sells. Items don't move quickly enough on ches, so it's not worthwhile to keep vendors stocked. It's one of the reasons I moved to ATL.

I used to bring back commonly used items like crystal portals and deed boxes, and they just didn't have any movement.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
and here i thought it was just me. i can rarely find what i want/need on chessy so i end up bringing stuff over from sonoma and atlantic. i'm talking about simple stuff like jewelry and prized/legendary armor.

at one time i wanted to set up a vendor on chessy but i live in fel and it's not a prime location for vendoring.

then rares fest killed the vendor idea completely. i had 1 vendor at rares fest which i continued to stock after the event was over. it was tough selling anything. i even mispriced a vet reward deed (something that would sell on atlantic for 15 mil or more which i had mispriced at 1.5 mil) and even that didn't sell. (glad it didn't.) i don't know, maybe the rares fest location was too remote? after that experience i decided chessy was not a seller's market.
Honestly if you want to set up a vendor on Chessy just hit me up in PM and we can work out a time to set it up, I've never been one to charge vendor rental fees either so....

vendorhouse.png