• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What will you do with 2d?

• Thread starter SUPRsalad
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
S

SUPRsalad

Heed my warning!

Im sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere in those vast text-walls, but Id like a discussion about this.

I love 2d client, and I think I represent a great volume of players who do NOT want a 3d client. I grew up with atari, then nes, the snes/sega genesis. Then, about the time I was about out of high-school, they made the N64.

I distinctly remember me and my friends being like 'nah...Im not down'. And we still aren't. Sure, I've enjoyed some good 3d fighting games (tekken) but for the most part, ALL my favorite games are 2d.

zelda. The first one was awesome. the one for snes was one of the best games ever made! If you've played/loved it, try to remember what those graphics were like. Seem familiar?

I think I also speak for vast volume of people who do NOT have a duo-core computer to run said 3d client properly. (I personally don't even have a video card in my machine. onboard ftw!)

Im not saying botch the whole thing. Im sure it will attract new gamers. These kids love their 3d x-box games.

I guess I feel kinda... betrayed. Most of me and my mates have been playing this game since back when we were freshmen in highschool! Think about the amount of money we've dumped into this thing, and all they can think about doing is NOT fixxing any of our issues with our beloved 2dclient, and dumping our funds into a client that ONLY caters to kids who have never played/paid a dime to UO!

I guess I feel like thats not fair. Theres other ways to expand the player base. For example, pay attention to us! Pretend, at least, that you care about where our 13 - 100 dollars a month is going!

So, my question (finally) is: What are you going to do with the 2d client? Are you botching it? Or, are you going to keep it around for us 'oldschoolers'
and completely neglect it and spend your time catering to the supporters of the SA client.

Because you know what? I for one, he who has two accounts able to ride any mount in the game, will NEVER play SA. Im sorry, I know you're trying hard for this, but I simply refuse. Im just oldschool like that and I refuse to learn a new system.

SO, all im saying, is heed my warning:: throw out/neglect 2d, and you WILL lose a vast sum of your VETERAN player base. Mark my words.

I mean, if we wanted to play wow, we would! I watched a buddy play it all night once.. It was boring. Lots of flashy graphics, but im telling you, that game has no soul!

K

Kiwillian

Ummmm....

Have you even looked at KR or the screenshots of SA? It's not 3D like WoW is at all. The only "3D" part about it is that it uses your graphics cards GPU to draw everything rather than the CPU. All the art is still 2D tile based and you can even switch to the legacy art if you have to.

Secondly, they are not scrapping the legacy client and have stated they are improving it for SA.

S

SUPRsalad

really? *blush*

awesome.. I heard something about the crafting gumps being x-fered to 2d. that would be most excellent.

N

NewThunder

If you read a few posts down about how SA will be different; A dev stated the SA client will not be a 3D client, it will be a 2D client.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
........... and dumping our funds into a client that ONLY caters to kids who have never played/paid a dime to UO!
Long time since anyone called me a 'kid'. You will find a LOT of KR and soon to be SA players are well out of 'kid' range. I, for one, am 47. You need to be careful generalizing. I also pay for 5 accounts and have done for 6 yrs or so, so again, generalizing.

Because you know what? I for one, he who has two accounts able to ride any mount in the game, will NEVER play SA. Im sorry, I know you're trying hard for this, but I simply refuse. Im just oldschool like that and I refuse to learn a new system.
This is the attitude of a lot of UO players, thing is, it is not '3d' as such, the only difference between 2d and KR is basically the UI, everything else is basically the same 'look', just various graphic updates. I play KR with Legacy art enabled and frankly there is no difference other than the UI in KR is much more efficient.

SO, all im saying, is heed my warning:: throw out/neglect 2d, and you WILL lose a vast sum of your VETERAN player base. Mark my words.
The reason UO needs SA is that we have already lost a vast sum of Veteran players, and have been doing so for years, it is now at the point where there are 'few' if any new players, and many more leaving than joining. Without SA or something to drag UO kicking and screaming into the 'modern' world then those numbers will continue to dwindle. If not for KR, my 5 accounts would have been 'disabled' at least 2 years ago.

I mean, if we wanted to play wow, we would! I watched a buddy play it all night once.. It was boring. Lots of flashy graphics, but im telling you, that game has no soul!
I have played WOW for 6mths, and yes it is boring.

However WOW is nothing like UO in whatever 'form' the client takes. I do find it funny how the UO content is the same, the graphics are pretty much the same, the way you fight, the things you do, the community are all the SAME no matter what UO 'client' you play. The 'client' is NOT the game it is just the 'tool' used to play the game. You really cannot compare a 'client' with 'content' they are two very different things.

I think rather than the flat out 'NO' it would be good to see people such as you actually give the client a 'go'. As I said, the client is a 'tool' to play a game we all love. There is absolutely no difference in content, gameplay, community etc etc, UO IS UO, it is just a more efficient client that will enable UO to attract more players, as no matter how you 'face' it the world has progressed since 1997, and with new 'technology' the updated client allows for much better 'fixes', 'updates' and all the other things needed to run a 2009 mmo.

I appreciate the fact you like 2d, and am not saying you have to 'move' over or whatever, I am saying I would like players such as yourself to actually try to actually embrace SA when it comes out, give it a go with an OPEN mind, play it for 2-3 months and then 'judge' it.

S

SUPRsalad

*sigh*
Fine. 'I' will 'try' it. But 'just' for 'you'.
because i feel 'bad' about waking up with 'a' chip on 'my' shoulder.

N

Nex Anima

Nostalgia is a dangerous, with it we are forever stuck in with old ideas.

I hate to be one of the players that say this but for once i can feel as though it is founded....adapt and overcome (or play some roms).

O

Old Man of UO

Long time since anyone called me a 'kid'. You will find a LOT of KR and soon to be SA players are well out of 'kid' range. I, for one, am 47. ...
Heh... You could be my kid-sister. :D

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A little off-topic: I grew up playing 2D games as well but I have dabbled in 3D. Now my 40 GB PS3 doesn't accept PS3 games on disc because the disc drive went bust after one of the faulty firmwares. So the only games I can play on it now are the 2D downloadable games I got for it... bah!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
*sigh*
Fine. 'I' will 'try' it. But 'just' for 'you'.
because i feel 'bad' about waking up with 'a' chip on 'my' shoulder.
lol i love honest people who can admit to having a bad day :)

R

rockkandy

the screen shot looks great but what about the all the visual rendering a computer has to do for the new graphics? A lot of people who play uo also play because we don't have the $2000 to blow on a new comp that is able to handle such graphics/animations. Hell people say lag is bad now, wait till ur CPU has to process leaves blowing in the wind and water actually "falling". I'll stick to 2d and let all the new guys(and gals) play with their 2.5D or 3D whatever u wanna call it.

O

Old Man of UO

the screen shot looks great but what about the all the visual rendering a computer has to do for the new graphics? A lot of people who play uo also play because we don't have the $2000 to blow on a new comp that is able to handle such graphics/animations. Hell people say lag is bad now, wait till ur CPU has to process leaves blowing in the wind and water actually "falling". I'll stick to 2d and let all the new guys(and gals) play with their 2.5D or 3D whatever u wanna call it.
HEH... except all the 2D art is rendered via CPU rather than the graphics card. To get the same resolution and effects in 2D versus the 3D effects, it would fry your cpu.

I

Ivor MacGregor

I recently posted my issues (and likes with KR vs. 2d). A long time player of Catskills directed me to an amazing website. This website listed all kinds of tweaks that can be make and a list of customer UIs for download. After doing so, I noticed a HUGE difference in KR play style. That is to say, it greatly improved. If what I understand is to be true about the SR client, it will be an improvement upon the KR client.

I used to dread anything but the 2d client and now have to say for certainty that the KR client is by far better. Let's just hope the SR client will make it so that players don't have to search through forums and websites to alter the client for better gameplay like we do KR. This stuff just needs to be automatic and in the settings menus.

I highly suggest downloading a customer UI and tweaking the performance options before you dismiss the KR client.

O

Old Man of UO

KR was a pile. SA will be a pile.

2D supremacy.
2D was junk right from the initial publish. 2D is only supremacy where it allows illegal 3rd party programs to run.

It took lots and lots of work to even get it stable, and years to remove MOST of the bugs. That's not saying KR doesn't have problems, it does, but most of those problems have been worked out. At this time, you have nothing to base your "SA will be a pile" opinion on.