• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What weapon for PvP?

S

Sifu

Trying to get into PvP and need to know which weapon would be best for a bushido/parry temp.

Played games before where 2hand weapons always meant more damage, but here, in most threads i saw people use 1h weapons with no shield? so why use 1h weapons at all, is the damage difference between 2h and 1h not big enough?
i guess it's only because you can`t drink pots with 2h? can`t you make a macro to instantly disarm, drink a pot and re equip your 2h?

Would prefer a 2h weap for style reasons, what weap would destroy people the fastest? ;)

C

Chaosy

People play one-handed weapons to drink potions. You could make an arm/disarm macro to chug, but it can be a hassle and is a little slow (depending on how you set it up). Two-handed weapons in UO have a wide range that aren't necessarily the biggest damage-dealers. The best two-handed weapons, IMO, are:

Ornate Axe
Spear
Pitchfork
Gnarled Staff
No-Dachi
Bardiche
Bladed Staff
Hatchet
Executioner's Axe

5% Luck

The diamond mace is actually very close to top end damage and is 1 handed. i comes in a few varietys Ruby, emerald and, diamond. Also silver etched is nice. But my favorite right now is the Pike. Poison/para combo!

C

Chaosy

Pike used to be very good before cure potions and chugging became mainstream!

S

Sifu

Thanks for the info guys, so a no-dachi is viable for PvP? would like to use that for style ;)

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Bushido Swordsman loves the Runeblade. It's a two-hander that has Bladeweave and Disarm as it's specials. It requires SSI 30% to hit 1.25 swings, but it hits very hard (the highest dps of any weapon). Also, the Mage's Runeblade can come with FC 2 (yes...2), which is great if you use Chiv to heal.

G

GFY

Weapon choice is really up to your play style and what specials the have.

I personally like a fencing combo of a kryss and war fork. The infectious strike, disarm, bleed, and armor ignore are some of my favorites and usable with only 2 weapons.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GFY already said it sort of. There is no viable one weapon for PvP. Why?

Because you get too predictable then and are easy to deal with. Call it what you like, but I always carry 4 different weapons on me.

Weapon knowledge and what specials each weapon does is important to know...in my book.

If you have a nice setup, you can chain specials without hardly blinking. All depending on your setup and macros of course...then again, it might not be possible depending on your playstyle.

Nevertheless, the particular situation is important as well as the circumstances. i.e. what terrain is around me, am I boxed in, is this a 2 vs. 1 type of fight...is this a guild who will call in another person and will I get double-teamed quickly...etc.

All of these things dictate what weapon and specials I will use. Sounds like rocket science perhaps, but no fighting situation is the same. And...I don't mean gate fighting either...I mean, real PvPing. In the open, attacked by surprise or premeditated attacking...no house to run to type of fighting.

As far as a No-Dachi, sure it can be a viable weapon. Should not be the only weapon you have though...it should have a descent amount of SSI on it as well. 10% isn't going to work for that weapon...too slow.

2 handed weapons are...nice, I recommend them if and only if you know what you are doing. Aside from pots that were mentioned,

a 2 handed weapon setup isn't great for a bushido fighter (excluding archery) because basically you have no defense without a weapon in your hand. No parry...in a real sort of sense (since bushido has that goodie with 2 hand weapon) and no evasion or anything else. Which means ostensibly that you have a hole in your defense.

That can be compensated but...depends on your macro setup and timing.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I carry 4 weps like others have mentioned on my bushy dexer.

The trick is to pick 2 weps that complement each other as your main weapons.

I use a Diamond Mace (conc/crushing) and a Bokuto (Feint/Nerve Strike).

Dismount wep is a Bardiche, and always a good idea to have at least one wep that can disarm. I use a mace.

I find that it's difficult to get killshots with a melee against an opponent who knows how to move. The nerve strike / conc blow combo comes in quite handy when you get the opponent < 50% HP.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find that it's difficult to get killshots with a melee against an opponent who knows how to move.
I would have to agree. In my opinion, good weapon skill combinations coupled with knowledge of terrain is key. I have found I simply knew the terrain better than the opponent when I cut off their path and quickly dispatch of them.

Opposition who knows the terrain and can move well is somewhat of a challenge to fight then.

Basically whoever makes the first mistake...loses then.

T

Turdnugget

It'll be interesting how Concussion blow is nerfed and if that will still be the main flavor.

On test i've been playing a bushi/parry/swords template I'm creating on my production server... I've been using a No-Dachi, Bokuto + lesser hiryu with great success. No-Dachi is nice because you've got two specials in one, if mounted and you use it, you do damage and have a chance to stun the person. On foot, the No-Dachi dismounts the person + does damage, and if they're on a live mount, they can't get back on it until it gets healed. Be careful as the pet will then turn on you =)

Not to mention, at 120 Bushido you've got 95% control chance over your rider, so you can dismount + all kill and get in an extra big hit.

Bokuto is nice for the Nerve Strike. I've never used one before until now. It's great. I've done upwards of a 30+ hit on someone and paralyzed them at the same time.

Executioners axe is great. 2hander with pretty good damage ( make sure it's got at least 20% SSI and Hit Spell is nice) bleed someone, then mortal them... no way to heal unless they've got apples or Faction bandies.

As most have said... it depends on who you're fighting and situation. Usually when my guild does raids, they ask that archers bring a weapon that does Mortal. You'll also need to learn weapon combos, when to use which...And weapons with Hit Spell/HLD/HLA are great to help your odds of hitting someone and killing them.

The great thing about bushido/parry combo is you've got a good healing chance. Especially if you have actual healing. Use confidence to regain hps/regen + evasion to block more shots/spells + bandages + can swap to one hander to chug if need be. That's what I do on my archer/macer. Since i dont have a good balanced bow, I just swap to mace when need be to chug.

On test this morning, I was efielded in with an archer + the mage attacking me. Without pots, using just Confidence + Evasion and bandages it took them a solid minute to kill me... as a sitting duck unable to move (not to mention I was in a poison field too)