• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] What spellbook for a mage?

Miriandel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a scrapper's compendium, and i'm GM scribe.
Should I stick with the scrapper's, or burn through 1 million blank scrolls (not exagerating here...) until I get a repond, undead and daemon slayer spellbooks?

I ask the question because i'm building my imbued mage set and need to know if i can rely on the scrapper's 10% LMC or need to put it on armor/jewels if I go for other spellbooks.

I could equip something else than a spellbook too, like a staff (which one?) but returning to the game I'm only begining to run Doom, so I don't have artefacts all over my bankbox.

Cheers.

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depends a bit on what you hunt.
If you are hunting say Dragons a dragon slayer spellbook is going to do double damage with direct damage spells.
A Deamon slayer spellbook rocks daemons.

If you are in an assorted mob you can switch slayers just like you can switch weapons with a macro set up.

Never hurts to attempt to scribe up a set of slayers. You can always sell off your doubles.

T

Tazar

There was a recent change to the slayer properties. A super-slayer class (Arachnid, Demon, Elemental, Fey, Repond, Reptile, and Undead) will all do double damage. A non-super-slayer will now to triple damage.

I actually keep about 25 spellbooks on me at all times and swap them out with Enhanced Client Macros as needed to match the current opponent.

Miriandel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah well, I guess there's no other choice than going through that stupid slayer books grind then, why in hell didn't they allow spellbook inbuing?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I always carry a spellbook. In my opinion, the only reason you would not be carrying one as a mage is if you need the hand free for potions, or you are carrying a Mage Weapon for defense.

The spellbook I use depends on several factors. First is the template of my character. I primarily run necro-mages. Wither (and other area effect spells such as Earthquake) are not affected by slayer properties. Wither is affected by SDI, however. So I typically lay the SDI on heavy. I use either the Scrapper's Compendium or a 30 SDI Invasion Spellbook most of the time. I choose which book between the two based on what I need to max FC and FCR (2/6). Scrappers gives 1/1 and most Invasion variants give 0/2.

If I am casting direct damage spells primarily, I do use slayer spellbooks. If I am fighting a specific monster I try to specialize the slayer for the monster. If I am fighting a couple different ones all of the same super-slayer class, then I use the super slayer. Some monsters do not have a specific slayer, but only fall under a super slayer category (i.e. undead, succubi, ratmen, etc).

I know we exchanged on this in Uhall, but I feel your pain with crafting the super slayers. The chance to craft is too low for super slayers. I have GM scribes on six different shards. I usually burn a bunch of scrolls (maybe 20K) making books, and see what I get. That is usually enough to get more than one of every type of normal slayer. Then I try buying the super slayers I still need. Typically, I find that repond, demon, and undead are most useful. You can get a near-free undead slayer spellbook by making a new character with 49 inscription and doing the new player inscription quest. The Hallowed Spellbook is a basic undead slayer and can be moved from one character to another. I buy the repond and the demon when I find them at good prices.

As for your LMC, I build my suits with 40% LMC not including the spellbooks. This gives me flexibility in swapping books to meet my need at the moment. I try to build 2/6 FC/FCR without the books too, but that is typically harder to do. My ring and bracelet usually are chosen last to fill particular holes in the suit.

I hope this helps. Happy equipping and hunting!

-OBSIDIAN-