• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] What skills should I put at 50.0 at character creation for my T-Hunter?

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
What kind of treasure hunter will the character be/how will they deal with the spawn?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Since you're starting with 120 skill...
I'd be tempted to start with 50 LP, to minimize the grind.

The rest, is up to your training preferences.
The best candidate would be Remove trap, if available at character creation, as while RT gains quickly without detect hidden doing maps, I'm not sure how well the old training methods work without DH. I was able to get to about 90 RT from doing around 100 maps of the first 3 types (which, of course, you'll get LP and cart gains from as well)
Cartography trains quickly (especially if you get some Alacrity scrolls for it), but is a lot of grind with blank maps, then selling or tossing the made maps.

So, LP & RT if possible.
If RT not possible in character creation, get the hardest-to-train skill the character will be using to fight the spawn.

If I was building a new TH from scratch (where I can buy skills - SP would be a bit harder), personally, I'd do the following - but I'm an odd one when it comes to training preferences, as I find natural training through use less of a hassle than grinding.

120 points
50 LP
50 in a spawn combat skills (especially if one without a New Haven quest).
last 20 in whatever.

Buy as much cart as possible, train it to where level 1 maps are possible.
Buy the rest of the spawn combat skills needed.
train skills against things that drop Stash level maps.
Train RT, Cart and LP doing Stash maps, eventually switching to farm Ilshenar spawns of the same, where I can get supply-level chests/maps off the paragons.
In times without maps, train LP & Cart the old-fashioned way as needed, as well as other skills.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This character is being made totally from scratch. My base template, not including T-Hunter skills is this:

100 Magery
120 Mysticism
120 Focus
80 Meditation, or Eval Int

As far as T-Hunter skills would go, I was thinking:
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
100 Remove Trap

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
i wouldnt bother starting with RT even if you can. i managed to get RT from 0 to 90 just spamming one of the puzzle boxes for a few hours spread over two nights. it's really easy to train up now

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I would do animal taming at 50. Tamer tmaper is great.

Cartography is annoying to raise so maybe 50 there as well.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yep, if you are thinking of taming as one of the skills you do not have, would buy taming 50 first. For taming its sooooooo grindy that you may buy one advanced character token, and get taming up pretty quickly, and avoid grinding taming from 50 to 90 that takes a while, to put it mildly. SW/Mystic works ok also for TH. :)