• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What New mmorpg is the biggest threat to UO?

D

Deano

To be honest, nothing at all.

As far as I'm concerned the only game that even comes close (but is still very different) is EVE Online.

Everything else is just the same linear, uncreative and simplistic level/quest grind that leaves players with the same experience everyone else has. A single-player approach to online games, it's boring.

I hope Darkfall succeeds one day. But the problem for me is as an Oceania player, once Warhammer Online is released, I won't be settling for overseas servers anymore. Ultima Online offered me the best experience I eer had in an online game, from a history of some of my favourite games and then gave me my own local edition of the game and my own local server.

And 8 years later, no-one has been able to match it.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail: With several New games coming out, what one do you think will take the most players away from UO?
At this point, none. Anyone still playing UO isn't playing it for what other games offer.

The only thing that could kill UO aside from EA itself (which isn't far off) would be a game that allows for the customization level that SWG started off with and the mechanics of UO.

IE: One not on the horizon.

R

Revenant2

I know a very longtime UO player who was spending more and more time in WOW.

Then he came back... he'd been banned from WOW during a sweep for 3rd party program users.

Heeh.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know a very longtime UO player who was spending more and more time in WOW.

Then he came back... he'd been banned from WOW during a sweep for 3rd party program users.

Heeh.
Yeah they crack down on illegal program use thanks to Warden.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
UO has been around long enough at this point that I don't think new MMO are the real threat. The biggest threat to UO is UO. For many MMO players, UO is a habitual joy that they will not sacrifice for something new and shiny.

I stopped looking at new mmo's years ago... friends of mine are always trying to pull me into new mmo games and I never even check the games out cause I just don't care.
Ditto.

K

Katlene

Stargate worlds has hugely got my interest, it looks amazing. but i dont think i can ever give UO up.

G

galefan2004

WoW looked beautiful. I played it for about three months, but it got old doing the same quests over and over again, and not being able to really game with anyone that wasn't your level, and it lacks so much of what makes UO special, and Loquacious, please learn how to post your gigantic screen shots with thumbnails, not all of us have three metre wide monitors...
Even with my 19" widescreen flat screen monitor I have issues keeping the entire monitor in my vision grasp at the same time. I can only imagine a monitor that is wider.

G

galefan2004

Yeah they crack down on illegal program use thanks to Warden.
Short of AFK gold farming, I'm not sure why you would need to AFK macro in WoW. The leveling system allows for easy character advancement (not years spent chasing anmals around as a means to gain taming), and the crafting system doesn't need a third party program to macro it.

If you need to use a third party program in WoW to stay competitive then you are in need of serious help to compete in video games.

H

Hanneth

Nothing announced yet. Darkfall is just Shadowbane done better, i.e. hardcore, and will have no worse impact than SB did.

Despite the impression of UO players all being l33t pks, I think deep down we all still love touring Lord british's castle, decorating our house, and dying our leathers. :)
Hey, I for one am a l33t Taylor, so try adding sewing leathers bud!

S

Scratch

any game with customer support
any game with cheater detection
any game with content over graphics

atari
nintendo
playstation
etc

uo needs attn or sold to someone who will fix it

C

ChromaticDevil

It's probably not so much the new MMORPGS that are a threat to UO, as much as the laziness and incompetence of UO's staff and dev team. I still can't figure how they have the balls to charge almost as much as WoW, when it is so far behind the times it should cost no more than $5 a month to play UO. They should have made UO2, but their dumb asses cancelled it.